LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hasn't Dixon been a stalwart on ST? I would think he survives over Gray. I can't even think Gray would even be activated on game day.
Originally posted by ninergold:
Hasn't Dixon been a stalwart on ST? I would think he survives over Gray. I can't even think Gray would even be activated on game day.

I doubt he does get beat out, but If I can the team, he would be GONE. He brings nothing of value as a Back. He has great preseasons against 3rd stringers, and everyone goes WOW. Then he sucks in playoffs and reg season.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I doubt he does get beat out, but If I can the team, he would be GONE. He brings nothing of value as a Back. He has great preseasons against 3rd stringers, and everyone goes WOW. Then he sucks in playoffs and reg season.

I'm not hating , but I totally agree .....he should have developed into a punishing short yardage RB by now , and if we are keeping him around solely for ST purposes , then this year he should be a goner with the signings of Dahl, Skuta, Osgood and Ventrone......with Gore, Hunter and James on the roster , he wouldnt get any snaps anyway
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

I'm not hating , but I totally agree .....he should have developed into a punishing short yardage RB by now , and if we are keeping him around solely for ST purposes , then this year he should be a goner with the signings of Dahl, Skuta, Osgood and Ventrone......with Gore, Hunter and James on the roster , he wouldnt get any snaps anyway

Exactly, and not hating here either. I wanted Dixon to succeed as he short yardage back, but it never happened.

Exactly, and not hating here either. I wanted Dixon to succeed as he short yardage back, but it never happened.

Do you think Lattimore will get some time by mid season ? or do you thnk he will be redshirted? ..cause I dont think Dixon will be on the roster on opening day
I wouldn't mind seeing Jewel Hampton make it over Dixon.
^^^ I don't think Dixon makes the team either. He "barely" made it last year and given how much he's leaned down, he knows his only shot is ST and at RB (no FB duties this year IMHO). I think a pure FB such as Jason Scheplar makes it over him (also plays ST and we have no backup for Miller). I also think an H-back such as MarQueis Gray and a pure RB such as Jewel Hampton have much more upside than him as well.

RB (3): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) - Anthony Dixon, Jewel Hampton and D.J. Harper are gone. Marcus is red-shirted all year long.
FB (2): Bruce Miller and Jason Scheplar; Alex Debniak (PUP) - Jason is the surprise win here primarly b/c of Alex's achilles tear. We need a true FB behind Miller and an excellent ST player.
Do you think Lattimore will get some time by mid season ? or do you thnk he will be redshirted? ..cause I dont think Dixon will be on the roster on opening day

Potentially, if we need him, but if all is good, redshirt him this year.
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^ I don't think Dixon makes the team either. He "barely" made it last year and given how much he's leaned down, he knows his only shot is ST and at RB (no FB duties this year IMHO). I think a pure FB such as Jason Scheplar makes it over him (also plays ST and we have no backup for Miller). I also think an H-back such as MarQueis Gray and a pure RB such as Jewel Hampton have much more upside than him as well.

RB (3): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) - Anthony Dixon, Jewel Hampton and D.J. Harper are gone. Marcus is red-shirted all year long.
FB (2): Bruce Miller and Jason Scheplar; Alex Debniak (PUP) - Jason is the surprise win here primarly b/c of Alex's achilles tear. We need a true FB behind Miller and an excellent ST player.

Couldn't of said better myself NC. Note: Debniak is on IR for season. So he wont be back this year he will only count $288k with a split contract.
Couldn't of said better myself NC. Note: Debniak is on IR for season. So he wont be back this year he will only count $288k with a split contract.

Good eye! Updated...danka

• cools
  • Veteran
Hampton is a solid powerback with speed and pretty good elusiveness, He has a much better chance making the team then Gray imo.

Niners will probably carry 4 RB's, Its Dixon vs Hampton for the last spot

Schep aint gonna make the 53, Tuku will help at FB
KW's healthy now, and when he is, he produces. There's not a better option in the slot...Harbaugh's going to go with proven ability over a rookie, you can be sure of that. He'll be on the roster, take it to the bank. As for Tolzien, I think he's got a real battle on his hands to stay on the roster. I can see Daniels becoming the scout team QB...he has much more all-around football ability than Scott does, too. Coach loves players who do multiple things well. I really don't see Okoye making the roster...who would he beat out? He's an experiment...and if, as he says, the OTAs were the hardest thing he's ever done, how will he cope with training camp? I don't think he'll make it through...he's just got too many things going against him.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
KW's healthy now, and when he is, he produces. There's not a better option in the slot...Harbaugh's going to go with proven ability over a rookie, you can be sure of that. He'll be on the roster, take it to the bank. As for Tolzien, I think he's got a real battle on his hands to stay on the roster. I can see Daniels becoming the scout team QB...he has much more all-around football ability than Scott does, too. Coach loves players who do multiple things well. I really don't see Okoye making the roster...who would he beat out? He's an experiment...and if, as he says, the OTAs were the hardest thing he's ever done, how will he cope with training camp? I don't think he'll make it through...he's just got too many things going against him.

Kyle is hardly proven, he has had 1 1/2 years in the system, and wasn't a big part of the offense. If Mario is ready, he is #2 WR, so Patton or AJJ could realistically take Kyle's WR job.

I like Gray, I think he can be a weapon as a receiving TE/WR. Like Vernon Davis said, he should make the roster because he is that type of athlete and he has extensive college QB experience as well which should help him in route running, setting up great angles for completions and making key plays for conversions when the QB is in trouble. I just hope he becomes serviceable in blocking and special teams
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I like Gray, I think he can be a weapon as a receiving TE/WR. Like Vernon Davis said, he should make the roster because he is that type of athlete and he has extensive college QB experience as well which should help him in route running, setting up great angles for completions and making key plays for conversions when the QB is in trouble. I just hope he becomes serviceable in blocking and special teams

Me too. If he can learn to become an effective blocker, he'll replace Celek IMHO. Gray sounds like a perfect fit to line up in the backfield out of the Q formation, on wham blocks, in the slot or even out wide---get the ball in his hands and see what he can do. If he can take a handoff and run out of the Q, even better. He should be able to make the team on ST alone with his athleticism. The aforementioned would just be icing on the cake and add to even more packages for HaRoMan.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone