There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

GUESS THE 53!!

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by ninergold:
With some of the OL and DL playing a blocking TE role, do you think Celek's spot could be used for another special teams ace?

Depends, I doubt it, since they probably rather not risk injuries during the game.

Agree, they may not be active on game day but I doubt they go with two true TEs on the final roster.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM ]
QB: Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien (Daniels could pass him up but I see him getting stashed on the PS)
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB: Miller
WR: Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Manningham, Patton, Lockette, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwinn, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder

DL: Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial
LB: Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Moody, Fleming
DB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Cox, Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath/Brock

ST: Lee, Dawson, Jennings

Crabtree and Lattimore start out on IR.
In trying to determine the 53 we need to try to think like Harbaugh. It's good to remember that he thinks outside of the box as was evidenced in his going with Kaep last year when the usual choice would have been Alex. Harbaugh loves multipurpose players and that's something to remember when considering the choices. If you are farther down the depth chart and can just play that one position you are in danger. Which is why I believed that Tolzien needed to lock down the 2 position to stay on the team. Unless Daniels falls flat on his face, he is history. The main reason is that Daniels ( who Harbaugh see's as having potential) would get snatched off the PS by Seattle and many other teams.. Tolzein is redundent. Gray might also push out Celek but that would depend on how well either McDonald or Gray end up at blocking. I think Dixon's days are also numbered.
Originally posted by davidb:
I don't agree that its that obvious that Tolzien is going to be cut. Tolzien plays a very special role on the 49ers . . . he is the scout team quarterback. Apparently he is very good at it too. Last year someone named Darin Gantt wrote on September 3, 2012, "The 49ers didn't necessarily keep the best player in the preseason as their third quarterback. They kept the one that could help them the most in the regular season."

Also Matt Barrows pointed out, at about the same time, that "the disparity in preseason stats doesn't explain why the 49ers kept Scott Tolzien over Josh Johnson as their third behind Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. Tolzien has taken his role as the scout team QB in practice as his niche. . . . The 49ers trust him as an extra set of eyes, and he's good enough to simulate Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford and so on in practice."

So, the question now probably is whether BJ Daniels ability to simulate Russell Wilson is more valuable than Tolzien's ability to simulate Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford.

Just noticed your post. Ironically the things you mention are the very reasons that I believe Tolzein will be cut. I tried in vain on another site to explain that Scott was not kept because he was the third best QB rather because he fit the criteria for what the team needed from a 3rd more than what Johnson did. There is a difference between last year and this year. Last year the developmental QB was Kaep while also being the back up. That meant that Tolzien only essential role was the reasons you gave. When the backup is a veteran then it's ideal for the 3rd to be a developmental QB. which Tolzein is not. He doesn't have that big an upside. Remember your point that he did not win the 3rd spot based on his abilities rather his role on the scout team. Well Daniels can mimic not only Wilson but RG3, Cam and Locker ( they will be operating the read option) who the team plays this year. Those ( especially Wilson who is unique) are by far more valuable to practice for this year. Harbaugh has also said that he wants his third QB to be active but also be able to play another position. That fits Daniel not Tolzien. The team is phasing into read option more and more. That's Danial not Tolzien. If they would be able to get Daniel on the PS than your scenario might make sense, but Daniels would never make it to the squad in that Seattle ( who was going to draft him with one of their last two picks) would grab him in a hart beat. Their third QB sucks.
Originally posted by willtalk:
In trying to determine the 53 we need to try to think like Harbaugh. It's good to remember that he thinks outside of the box as was evidenced in his going with Kaep last year when the usual choice would have been Alex. Harbaugh loves multipurpose players and that's something to remember when considering the choices. If you are farther down the depth chart and can just play that one position you are in danger. Which is why I believed that Tolzien needed to lock down the 2 position to stay on the team. Unless Daniels falls flat on his face, he is history. The main reason is that Daniels ( who Harbaugh see's as having potential) would get snatched off the PS by Seattle and many other teams.. Tolzein is redundent. Gray might also push out Celek but that would depend on how well either McDonald or Gray end up at blocking. I think Dixon's days are also numbered.

Spot on IMHO!

Here is my HarBaalke 53 @ post #245: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/page17/
Originally posted by willtalk:
Just noticed your post. Ironically the things you mention are the very reasons that I believe Tolzein will be cut. I tried in vain on another site to explain that Scott was not kept because he was the third best QB rather because he fit the criteria for what the team needed from a 3rd more than what Johnson did. There is a difference between last year and this year. Last year the developmental QB was Kaep while also being the back up. That meant that Tolzien only essential role was the reasons you gave. When the backup is a veteran then it's ideal for the 3rd to be a developmental QB. which Tolzein is not. He doesn't have that big an upside. Remember your point that he did not win the 3rd spot based on his abilities rather his role on the scout team. Well Daniels can mimic not only Wilson but RG3, Cam and Locker ( they will be operating the read option) who the team plays this year. Those ( especially Wilson who is unique) are by far more valuable to practice for this year. Harbaugh has also said that he wants his third QB to be active but also be able to play another position. That fits Daniel not Tolzien. The team is phasing into read option more and more. That's Danial not Tolzien. If they would be able to get Daniel on the PS than your scenario might make sense, but Daniels would never make it to the squad in that Seattle ( who was going to draft him with one of their last two picks) would grab him in a hart beat. Their third QB sucks.

I agree...Tolzien has to win the #2 outright or he'll be cut MHO. It's all-or-nothing this year. Tolzien is a similar player to McCoy in terms of skill set but Tolzien has much much more experience in OUR offense. Naturally, we will give McCoy the early reps and chances to develop and then the games will determine who gets the #2. But I think Daniels is a lock for the #3 either way and he may be active for ST as well.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
QB: Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien (Daniels could pass him up but I see him getting stashed on the PS)
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB: Miller
WR: Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Manningham, Patton, Lockette, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwinn, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder

DL: Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial
LB: Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Moody, Fleming
DB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Cox, Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath/Brock

ST: Lee, Dawson, Jennings

Crabtree and Lattimore start out on IR.

no love for Skuta? He def has a big edge over Moody/Fleming.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
QB: Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien (Daniels could pass him up but I see him getting stashed on the PS)
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB: Miller
WR: Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Manningham, Patton, Lockette, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwinn, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder

DL: Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial
LB: Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Moody, Fleming
DB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Cox, Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath/Brock

ST: Lee, Dawson, Jennings

Crabtree and Lattimore start out on IR.

PS: ?
  • cools
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,326
QB (3) Kap, McCoy, Daniels
* Bj has too much upside to let go or try to stash on PS

RB/FB (5) Gore, James, Hunter, Hampton, Miller
* Hampton is an excellent inside runner with power and speed, and should be good compliment to James and Hunter as part of a future RB by committee system

WR (5) till MM back, then (6)
X/Split end- Jenkins, Williams
Z/Flanker- Boldin, Patton, Lockette
* Boldin moves to slot in 3 reciever sets
* Manningham PuP'd till ready, Crabs IR'd with eligibility to return

TE (3) Davis, McDonald, Celek
*I assume they gave up on the Dobbs to TE experiment, but if the didnt, Dobbs could be the #3
and offer depth at DL while Carradine and Dial take time to develop

OL (9) Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Looney, Snyder, Kilgore, Wiggins
* Niners carried 8 last year, but most teams carry 9, I think they play it safe this year with 9

ST (3) Jennings, Lee, Dawson
* I dont think Jennings loses his job this year, McDermott should be safe on the PS for next year

S (4) Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, Spillman
* Im on the fence with Robinson, but a couple of our CB's can play safety if needed (Cox, Rogers, Culliver)

CB (6) Rogers, Brown, Asomugha, Culliver, Cox, Brock
* Many want Brock cut, I think he's a bit underated around here

OLB (4) Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier
* Love this group, Haralson and Lem will help keep Smith and Brooks with fresh legs through the season

ILB (4) Willis, Bowman, Fleming, Skuta (who will also play OLB)
* Also on the fence here, could be Wilhoite/Moody, but Fleming is from ND (Im a big ND fan)

DL (7) McDonald, Dorsey, Smith, Williams, Tukuafu Carradine, Dial
* with Carradine and Dial banged up, they fall too far behind, Niners need to carry an extra DL or two while they develop
Williams and Tuku may get alot of time in the rotation
[ Edited by cools on Jun 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM ]
QB: Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB: Miller
WR: Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Manningham, Patton, Lockette,
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwinn, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder
DL: Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial
LB: Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Skuta, Wilhoit, Fleming (rooting for him)
CB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Cox,
S: Reid, Whitner, Dahl, Spillman, Robinson

Suprise Cuts: Dobbs, Brock, McBath, Tuk, Cam, Osgood.

ST: Lee, Dawson, Jennings

Crabtree and Lattimore on IR.

Practice Squad:
1 QB Daniels
2 RB Hampton
3 OT Carter Bykowski
4 OT Kenny Wiggins
5 DT Jerod-Eddie
6 DE Okoye
7 LB Nick Moody
8 CB Daryl Morris
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
QB: Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien (Daniels could pass him up but I see him getting stashed on the PS)
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB: Miller
WR: Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Manningham, Patton, Lockette, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwinn, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder

DL: Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial
LB: Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Moody, Fleming
DB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Cox, Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath/Brock

ST: Lee, Dawson, Jennings

Crabtree and Lattimore start out on IR.

no love for Skuta? He def has a big edge over Moody/Fleming.

Totally forgot about him. Replace Moody with him. Also I'll throw Robinson in over McBath and Brock.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
QB: Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien (Daniels could pass him up but I see him getting stashed on the PS)
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB: Miller
WR: Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Manningham, Patton, Lockette, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwinn, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder

DL: Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial
LB: Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Moody, Fleming
DB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Cox, Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath/Brock

ST: Lee, Dawson, Jennings

Crabtree and Lattimore start out on IR.

PS: ?

PS: I love you.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
QB: Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB: Miller
WR: Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Manningham, Patton, Lockette,
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwinn, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder
DL: Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial
LB: Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Skuta, Wilhoit, Fleming (rooting for him)
CB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Cox,
S: Reid, Whitner, Dahl, Spillman, Robinson

Suprise Cuts: Dobbs, Brock, McBath, Tuk, Cam, Osgood.

ST: Lee, Dawson, Jennings

Crabtree and Lattimore on IR.

Practice Squad:
1 QB Daniels
2 RB Hampton
3 OT Carter Bykowski
4 OT Kenny Wiggins
5 DT Jerod-Eddie
6 DE Okoye
7 LB Nick Moody
8 CB Daryl Morris

With how stacked our team is and our high amount of draft picks, I think that PS would get pilfered by the rest of the league. The staff is high on Moody, he may push Fleming and his 1.5 knees off this roster.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
QB: Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien (Daniels could pass him up but I see him getting stashed on the PS)
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB: Miller
WR: Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Manningham, Patton, Lockette, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwinn, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder

DL: Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial
LB: Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Moody, Fleming
DB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Cox, Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath/Brock

ST: Lee, Dawson, Jennings

Crabtree and Lattimore start out on IR.

no love for Skuta? He def has a big edge over Moody/Fleming.

Totally forgot about him. Replace Moody with him. Also I'll throw Robinson in over McBath and Brock.

I think after learning our lessons the hard way last year, there is going to be a STRONG emphasis on ST this year. Will be interesting to see how many ST Aces make this squad....Moore, Osgood, Moody, Skuta.

Some tough cuts are on the horizon for sure
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I think after learning our lessons the hard way last year, there is going to be a STRONG emphasis on ST this year. Will be interesting to see how many ST Aces make this squad....Moore, Osgood, Moody, Skuta.

Some tough cuts are on the horizon for sure

Definitely be some tough cuts made. We only missed Costanzo and Colin Jones last year right? Skuta and Osgood could replace them I think. Or do we hang onto Moody instead since he's younger and signed longer? If there's one thing we know about this regime is that we don't know.