There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

GUESS THE 53!!

Originally posted by NCommand:
Sticking with it for now...post #245, edited here (page 17): http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/page17/

So far many of the moves and injuried haven't affected my 53.

Notes/Surprises:
  • QB: Via the media, it "appears" McCoy is ahead of Tolzien but we'll see when the pads come on and in real-game situations how much Colt has really picked up. It also aapears B.J. McDaniels is a lock for multiple positions for the #3
  • WR (5): X = A.J. Jenkins/Ricardo Lockette Y = Quinton Patton/Kyle Williams Z = Anquan Boldin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Kassim Osgood, Marlon Moore and Brandon Carswell are all right on that bubble. Unless any of these guys can add more than just ST ability, I don't know where we can realistically find room for them without cutting true position backups.
  • C/OG: Still not sure if Kilgore or Looney is ahead as the main competition for Goodwin at C - still an outside chance one beats Goodwin out (despite the restructure) and Goodwin is a late cut with the other guy backing him up.
  • OLB (4): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier and Cam Johnson - Parys Haralson and Darius Fleming are gone IMHO despite the glowing reports about Haralson at this stage. But Cam eventually shows he can seal the edge well AND pass rush making Haralson expendable...younger, cheaper, more athletic and more upside.
  • CB (5): Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Culliver, Carlos Rogers and Marcus Cooper - Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox, Lowell Rose and Darryl Morris are gone. Rogers restructures his contract after losing out to Nnamdi and Rose and Morris are stashed on the PS. Baalke wants bigger now...he got it in CB/depth and with Reid.
  • LS: Kevin McDermott - Brian Jennings is gone and NT implodes!

We could go all day bud, still think the vet Jennings is best bet at LS. Keep McDermott on PS. Haralson is a bubble guy, Cam I want over Parys. Haralson has lost a step IMO. He wasn't a pass rush threat in 2011.

McCoy and Daniels are 2 and 3 on QB spot

I think Osgood makes it based on STs.

Goodwin is more a lock now then before.

Should be a fun offseason camp, gonna get heated up soon.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I know the injury muddles the waters, but looks like the 9ers were planning on doing what we discussed earlier in the thread...move Flemming to ILB. =

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/6/13/4426872/darius-fleming-inside-linebacker-49ers-vic-fangio

Some good stuff from Fangio on Cam too =

"[Cam Johnson, Trenton Robinson, Darius Fleming are] all a whole lot better than they were last year. Cam Johnson is a very viable candidate to make this team right now. Trenton is, too. And Darius Fleming was doing very good work at inside linebacker, which we switched him to at the start of OTAs. And he was doing very good work there until he got a little injured there. So, been pleased with those three guys. Feel a lot stronger about them now than I did last year at this time."

Harbs always preaches that the 1st to 2nd year is the biggest growth period for a NFL player. I was always a big Trenton guy, looks like Cam is right in the mix for OLB. I still think Haralson wins the job and no way they cut Lemonier, so it will be interesting if Cam can show some pass rushing skills this summer. If so, he could be a dark horse for us keeping a 5th OLB over say an extra DB or guys like Dobbs and Tuku. Even though they play different positions, if Tank isn't close to coming back at the end of training camp, it could open up a spot for Cam as a dime pass rush sub. At 6'3 270, he may be a nice chess piece for Fangio. It will come down to the pass rush and ST's for Cam. Im pulling for him!

That's a glowing endorsement for Cam and a good sign b/c we haven't heard much about him up to this point. But the coaches have had him in the classroom for an entire year now (like with Fleming) and that is some nice additional information on how they view the two players (Cam @ OLB and Fleming at ILB). Thank you for this!
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sticking with it for now...post #245, edited here (page 17): http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/page17/

So far many of the moves and injuried haven't affected my 53.

Notes/Surprises:
  • QB: Via the media, it "appears" McCoy is ahead of Tolzien but we'll see when the pads come on and in real-game situations how much Colt has really picked up. It also aapears B.J. McDaniels is a lock for multiple positions for the #3
  • WR (5): X = A.J. Jenkins/Ricardo Lockette Y = Quinton Patton/Kyle Williams Z = Anquan Boldin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Kassim Osgood, Marlon Moore and Brandon Carswell are all right on that bubble. Unless any of these guys can add more than just ST ability, I don't know where we can realistically find room for them without cutting true position backups.
  • C/OG: Still not sure if Kilgore or Looney is ahead as the main competition for Goodwin at C - still an outside chance one beats Goodwin out (despite the restructure) and Goodwin is a late cut with the other guy backing him up.
  • OLB (4): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier and Cam Johnson - Parys Haralson and Darius Fleming are gone IMHO despite the glowing reports about Haralson at this stage. But Cam eventually shows he can seal the edge well AND pass rush making Haralson expendable...younger, cheaper, more athletic and more upside.
  • CB (5): Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Culliver, Carlos Rogers and Marcus Cooper - Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox, Lowell Rose and Darryl Morris are gone. Rogers restructures his contract after losing out to Nnamdi and Rose and Morris are stashed on the PS. Baalke wants bigger now...he got it in CB/depth and with Reid.
  • LS: Kevin McDermott - Brian Jennings is gone and NT implodes!

We could go all day bud, still think the vet Jennings is best bet at LS. Keep McDermott on PS. Haralson is a bubble guy, Cam I want over Parys. Haralson has lost a step IMO. He wasn't a pass rush threat in 2011.

McCoy and Daniels are 2 and 3 on QB spot

I think Osgood makes it based on STs.

Goodwin is more a lock now then before.

Should be a fun offseason camp, gonna get heated up soon.

Oh totally...fun to do to pass the time. You know me...I live on the edge a bit. Haha. That said, I don't go there out of the blue...I have a reason for it. Plus it's always cool to have different perspectives anyhow.

But to your points, there is a "stronger" possibility all of your points are spot on...right now. Jennings is a natural safe pick (duh), even McCoy and Daniels are safe, even at this junction, Goodwin, etc. And yeah, after the glowing comments by Harbaugh on Osgood, that's a great sign esp. if he proves to add value at WR well-beyond a ST gunner. The same seems to be true for Marlon Moore too. Both guys I have right on that buddle as the #6 if we keep 6...right now I have 5 with two very good WR's going on PUP but coming back later in the season (Manningham - very likely; Crabtree - not likely).
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh totally...fun to do to pass the time. You know me...I live on the edge a bit. Haha. That said, I don't go there out of the blue...I have a reason for it. Plus it's always cool to have different perspectives anyhow.

But to your points, there is a "stronger" possibility all of your points are spot on...right now. Jennings is a natural safe pick (duh), even McCoy and Daniels are safe, even at this junction, Goodwin, etc. And yeah, after the glowing comments by Harbaugh on Osgood, that's a great sign esp. if he proves to add value at WR well-beyond a ST gunner. The same seems to be true for Marlon Moore too. Both guys I have right on that buddle as the #6 if we keep 6...right now I have 5 with two very good WR's going on PUP but coming back later in the season (Manningham - very likely; Crabtree - not likely).

Indeed, agreed. We usually think the same. And its Daniels not McDaniels goof ball, and of course I kid with you.

Will be a fun training camp, looking forward to seeing Daniels vs Tolzien. From what I heard Tolzien struggled at minicamp.
After the last couple weeks of OTA's and mini-camp, Tolzien looks like he's on shaky ground.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Indeed, agreed. We usually think the same. And its Daniels not McDaniels goof ball, and of course I kid with you.

Will be a fun training camp, looking forward to seeing Daniels vs Tolzien. From what I heard Tolzien struggled at minicamp.

LMAO!!! Yeah, not looking good so far for Tolzien (via latest reports).
My guess:

QB (3)- Kap, McCoy, Tolzien
HB (4)- Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Dixon
FB (1)- Miller
WR (5)- Boldin, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, Patton
TE (3)- Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL (8)- Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Snyder, Kilgore, Looney
DL (7)- Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial, Tukuafu (Okoye instead of Dial or Tukuafu if we wind up liking him and think he'd get plucked off PS)
OLB (4)- Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier
ILB (4)- Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite, Moody
CB (6)- Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock, Cox
S (5)- Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath/Robinson
K (1)- Dawson
P (1)- Lee
LS (1)- Jennings

When Crab comes back, he'd likely take roster spot of 5th safety (though of course we'll inevitably have guys on IR that will open vacancies as well). If my optimistic projection of Manningham being ready by Week 1 turns out wrong and he starts year on PUP, that roster spot IMO would go to Lockette, Moore, or Osgood, but only if one REALLY impresses in camp, or it'd perhaps go to a 9th LB such as Skuta or Johnson.
[ Edited by kap2crab on Jun 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh totally...fun to do to pass the time. You know me...I live on the edge a bit. Haha. That said, I don't go there out of the blue...I have a reason for it. Plus it's always cool to have different perspectives anyhow.

But to your points, there is a "stronger" possibility all of your points are spot on...right now. Jennings is a natural safe pick (duh), even McCoy and Daniels are safe, even at this junction, Goodwin, etc. And yeah, after the glowing comments by Harbaugh on Osgood, that's a great sign esp. if he proves to add value at WR well-beyond a ST gunner. The same seems to be true for Marlon Moore too. Both guys I have right on that buddle as the #6 if we keep 6...right now I have 5 with two very good WR's going on PUP but coming back later in the season (Manningham - very likely; Crabtree - not likely).

Don't rule out the possibility that if Manningham's not ready by Week 1 (which I do think he does have a real shot to play in it), that we'd just go into the first few weeks of the season with just 4 WRs (Boldin, Jenkins, Williams, Patton) as we only dress 4 anyways and we know we'd have a likely starter and 5th WR coming back right around the corner as well. Not to mention *potentially* adding the alpha dog of our WR corps around Thanksgiving time.
Originally posted by kap2crab:
My guess:

QB (3)- Kap, McCoy, Tolzien
HB (4)- Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Dixon
FB (1)- Miller
WR (5)- Boldin, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, Patton
TE (3)- Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL (8)- Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Snyder, Kilgore, Looney
DL (7)- Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial, Tukuafu (Okoye instead of Dial or Tukuafu if we wind up liking him and think he'd get plucked off PS)
OLB (4)- Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier
ILB (4)- Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite, Moody
CB (6)- Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock, Cox
S (5)- Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath/Robinson
K (1)- Dawson
P (1)- Lee
LS (1)- Jennings

When Crab comes back, he'd likely take roster spot of 5th safety (though of course we'll inevitably have guys on IR that will open vacancies as well). If my optimistic projection of Manningham being ready by Week 1 turns out wrong and he starts year on PUP, that roster spot IMO would go to Lockette, Moore, or Osgood, but only if one REALLY impresses in camp, or it'd perhaps go to a 9th LB such as Skuta or Johnson.

Skuta is more experienced then Wilhoite. So he makes it IMO right now, plus he is versatile, OLB, ILB and STs.

Daniels has the 3rd QB spot, Tolzien has struggled, so bye bye right now for Tolzien.

5 WRs is bold move, I would keep Osgood, he is a ST Ace

Ventrone too, over McBath or Robinson

I like all idea of 6 CBs, just cut Brock, keep either Cooper or Morris. Also if Nnamdi isn't better than 3rd he may be cut, he doesnt play ST. Gonna be a fun preseason.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Skuta is more experienced then Wilhoite. So he makes it IMO right now, plus he is versatile, OLB, ILB and STs.

Daniels has the 3rd QB spot, Tolzien has struggled, so bye bye right now for Tolzien.

5 WRs is bold move, I would keep Osgood, he is a ST Ace

Ventrone too, over McBath or Robinson

I like all idea of 6 CBs, just cut Brock, keep either Cooper or Morris. Also if Nnamdi isn't better than 3rd he may be cut, he doesnt play ST. Gonna be a fun preseason.

Skuta's being looked at as an OLB for us, not inside. So if they show similar prowess in ST, I'd guess we'd wanna lean toward Wilhoite to have a 4th ILB. Considering Aldon, Brooks, Lemonier, and almost for sure Haralson are locks for roster spots, hard to see Skuta making team as OLB barring injury. Also I would by no means consider 5 WRs to be going light at the position, especially when a 6th, and our best, WR could be re-joining team in 2nd half of season. The typical standard amount teams tend to keep is 5 and we only dress 4 anyway. Even if Manningham isn't ready to go by Week 1, barring further injury I betcha the WRs that dress would just be Boldin, Jenkins, Williams, and Patton. Not much point to keeping a guy on the roster solely for his ST if he's not gonna dress to play those ST. Might as well give that non-dressing roster spot to a guy like Okoye. But of course further injury could complicate all that.
[ Edited by kap2crab on Jun 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM ]
Originally posted by kap2crab:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Skuta is more experienced then Wilhoite. So he makes it IMO right now, plus he is versatile, OLB, ILB and STs.

Daniels has the 3rd QB spot, Tolzien has struggled, so bye bye right now for Tolzien.

5 WRs is bold move, I would keep Osgood, he is a ST Ace

Ventrone too, over McBath or Robinson

I like all idea of 6 CBs, just cut Brock, keep either Cooper or Morris. Also if Nnamdi isn't better than 3rd he may be cut, he doesnt play ST. Gonna be a fun preseason.

Skuta's being looked at as an OLB for us, not inside. So if they show similar prowess in ST, I'd guess we'd wanna lean toward Wilhoite to have a 4th ILB. Considering Aldon, Brooks, Lemonier, and almost for sure Haralson are locks for roster spots, hard to see Skuta making team as OLB barring injury. Also I would by no means consider 5 WRs to be going light at the position, especially when a 6th, and our best, WR could be re-joining team in 2nd half of season. The typical standard amount teams tend to keep is 5 and we only dress 4 anyway. Even if Manningham isn't ready to go by Week 1, barring further injury I betcha the WRs that dress would just be Boldin, Jenkins, Williams, and Patton. Not much point to keeping a guy on the roster solely for his ST if he's not gonna dress to play those ST. Might as well give that non-dressing roster spot to a guy like Okoye. But of course further injury could complicate all that.

I think we keep 6 WRs on 53 man, and 5 active on game days, we did it last year all year long. Usually Crabs, Mario, Kyle, Moss and Ginn until the injuries.

Skuta should make it, Wilhoite is inexperienced so Skuta should make it. Plus he signed a 2yr deal with a good sized bonus.
Also if I am correct, Harbaugh said we were looking at him at both Outside and Inside backer. Skuta that is.

And Haralson is far from a lock, even with the redo he has no guarantee in his deal, so he is cuttable for full savings. If Lemonier shows up, he makes Haralson expendable. Parys doesn't play STs, so that may hurt him. Remember 46 active, a lot need to play STs, even Bowman and Willis, sometimes on FG and Bowman on Punts.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Jun 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by kap2crab:
My guess:

QB (3)- Kap, McCoy, Tolzien
HB (4)- Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Dixon
FB (1)- Miller
WR (5)- Boldin, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, Patton
TE (3)- Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL (8)- Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Snyder, Kilgore, Looney
DL (7)- Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial, Tukuafu (Okoye instead of Dial or Tukuafu if we wind up liking him and think he'd get plucked off PS)
OLB (4)- Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier
ILB (4)- Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite, Moody
CB (6)- Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock, Cox
S (5)- Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath/Robinson
K (1)- Dawson
P (1)- Lee
LS (1)- Jennings

When Crab comes back, he'd likely take roster spot of 5th safety (though of course we'll inevitably have guys on IR that will open vacancies as well). If my optimistic projection of Manningham being ready by Week 1 turns out wrong and he starts year on PUP, that roster spot IMO would go to Lockette, Moore, or Osgood, but only if one REALLY impresses in camp, or it'd perhaps go to a 9th LB such as Skuta or Johnson.

Skuta is more experienced then Wilhoite. So he makes it IMO right now, plus he is versatile, OLB, ILB and STs.

Daniels has the 3rd QB spot, Tolzien has struggled, so bye bye right now for Tolzien.

5 WRs is bold move, I would keep Osgood, he is a ST Ace

Ventrone too, over McBath or Robinson

I like all idea of 6 CBs, just cut Brock, keep either Cooper or Morris. Also if Nnamdi isn't better than 3rd he may be cut, he doesnt play ST. Gonna be a fun preseason.

I think your projection is the most probable outcome, a possible outcome could be
QB- T out BJ in
HB Dixon out, Hampton in
WR 5 you mentioned + either Lockett or Moore
DL Turkafu out- Dobbs in
ILB Wilhoite out- skuta in
CB - Brock out, Cooper in
S- McBath out, replaced be a surprise
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for ninergold.
With some of the OL and DL playing a blocking TE role, do you think Celek's spot could be used for another special teams ace?
Originally posted by ninergold:
With some of the OL and DL playing a blocking TE role, do you think Celek's spot could be used for another special teams ace?

Depends, I doubt it, since they probably rather not risk injuries during the game.