There are 230 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Jenkins, Lockette

Manningham, Williams

So much talent. Can't wait until the final 53.

The bold I am most looking forward to seeing. ONE of those guys WILL be a big contributor. I still think Williams is pretty nice in the slot, but I am very eager to see out of those 3 in bold which one will produce.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Good article! Will return to read more thoruoghly at another time. Is this a personal website or ? Nicely done.

Thank you! I'm the Editor-in-Chief for my college newspaper. I decided to start a column on the website because I want to start my career as a sports journalist.

Nice work but Dixon? And no Moody?
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Manningham, Williams

The bold I am most looking forward to seeing. ONE of those guys WILL be a big contributor. I still think Williams is pretty nice in the slot, but I am very eager to see out of those 3 in bold which one will produce.

Agreed, Williams is a good player and plays his butt off but we already know what we have in him. I can't wait to see one or more of these guys shine.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Manningham, Williams

Agreed, Williams is a good player and plays his butt off but we already know what we have in him. I can't to see one or more of these guys shine.

Exactly. We know what we have in Kyle Williams. AJ you can argue he has not unlocked his potential yet. So with that in mind Him, Patton, Lockette, we have no idea what they have. And that's the beauty of it.

I picked Dixon because he's always been solid on Special Teams and I think he has a legit shot at making the team. I dont know much about Nick Moody, but he probably has just as good a shot as Dixon does, maybe even better since we wont really need 6 running backs.

I picked Dixon because he's always been solid on Special Teams and I think he has a legit shot at making the team. I dont know much about Nick Moody, but he probably has just as good a shot as Dixon does, maybe even better since we wont really need 6 running backs.

Not like anyone can be "wrong" at this juncture (LOL). I just highlighted Dixon b/c he barely made it last year (had to request learning another position just to stay) and it's safe to say we have a bit more talent now. And Moody is an ILB drafted to back up both Willis/Bowman. He should make it rather easily over Wilhoite.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM ]
Originally posted by SD49ers:
Originally posted by SD49ers:
I think we need 6-7 receivers because they keep getting injured and we end up starting ps people. I think we will keep 6, maybe 7 in you include Lockett. With Boldin, Manningham and williams definite keepers but in their last contract year, we need to develop the younger guys. It's a good position to be.

Aside from your great point that we always end up having injuries to our WR's (Williams x2, Manningham, etc.), THIS is another great point. Both AJ and Patton and Lockette were all hand picked by HarBaalke. Williams was not. If this coaching staff feels these younger guys have more upside and can develop into better players, despite their love for Williams and his attitude and work ethic, he could be a VERY difficult cut.

Even if we keep 7 or 7 with Manningham on PUP, that means someone else gets cut. Who?
Dunno. That's for the coaches to figure out. All I know is that they've adjusted, (higher or lower) traditional numbers to the best player. e.g., last year they went high # of DL's for a 3-4 while going light on OLB's, OL's. WR's take a loooooong time to pan out so we might have to take time to let them learn the game, hence keeping more while they learn the ropes. RB's for example, are much more plug in and play. We'll see, but it's a great position to be in.

Well last year, they had Crabs, Moss, Mario, Kyle, & Ginn, with AJ inactive. Chad Hall was added to the roster after Kyle & Mario went down.

This year, they have Crabs, Boldin, Kyle, & Mario coming back. AJ, Patton, & Lockette are the new hotness. That's it, right?

So, logically, you start the 2013 season like this...

START • (1) Crabs, (2) Boldin, (3+PR) Kyle, (4) AJ - You have the figure the veterans will get the first look. They know the offense, they can't be practice squad-ed, and are healthy.

PUP • Mario - Let's assume he won't be ready Week 1.

INACTIVE OR 5TH STARTERPatton - I'm sorry, but there is no way this guy comes off the bus and beats out Kyle Williams, with Kyle having both two years of experience in the offense AND PR/KR abilities. Maybe he somehow beats out AJ Jenkins, but even that is a stretch.

INACTIVE OR PRACTICE SQUADLockette

Now, all it takes is one injury for any of these guys to move up a spot (it's happened during both years of the Harbaugh era). Either that, or Patton/Lockette beat out AJ Jenkins, cause AJ obviously hasn't shown the coaching staff that he deserves to start... at least not yet.

So really, there's a way for the 49ers to keep all the receivers, and no one gets cut. When Mario gets healthy, it could create a log-jam, but even then you could keep Lockette on the PS regardless.

Because until Lockette shows the coaching staff he deserves to be OFF the practice squad, then we have to assume AJ Jenkins and Kyle Williams are going to get the nod over him. I think everyone makes the team, no one gets cut, and everyone is happy.

One last note... if tragedy were to strike and Crabs or Boldin got a multi-week injury in training camp, I would assume the 49ers would immediately sign a veteran to start in their place, probably one of these guys... Randy Moss (for obvious reasons), Brandon Lloyd, Devery Henderson, Deion Branch, Lee Evans, or Donte Stallworth.

But of course, not T.O.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on May 20, 2013 at 11:58 PM ]
Not like anyone can be "wrong" at this juncture (LOL). I just highlighted Dixon b/c he barely made it last year (had to request learning another position just to stay) and it's safe to say we have a bit more talent now. And Moody is an ILB drafted to back up both Willis/Bowman. He should make it rather easily over Wilhoite.

Can't argue with this...but many will!

Dixon has a shot if he continues to be the most flexible, willing ST player, but I can't see them keeping him over a younger version unless Moody and others do not add anything special...like speed, quickness and intensity.

Great points on both players.

I agree that Moody should make it easily over Wilhoite. He's superior, athletically speaking, and has much greater developmental potential. The Niners mantra is to keep getting better and Wilhoite has the flatter learning curve. Of course, I'm speculating, but it seems that that would be the case.

Dixon is more of an enigma. I do believe that he is a better running back than is given credit for and he is an eager special teams contributor, which is an important role. So who would replace him? Hampton? Or do they keep both? One remembers that the Niners brought in the highly regarded Cartwright last year and it was almost a foregone conclusion that he would make the team. Dixon beat him out.

Another quality that will factor into the mix is Dixon's very positive locker room presence. This just cannot be discounted. This would be a very tough cut.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

I agree that Moody should make it easily over Wilhoite. He's superior, athletically speaking, and has much greater developmental potential. The Niners mantra is to keep getting better and Wilhoite has the flatter learning curve. Of course, I'm speculating, but it seems that that would be the case.

Dixon is more of an enigma. I do believe that he is a better running back than is given credit for and he is an eager special teams contributor, which is an important role. So who would replace him? Hampton? Or do they keep both? One remembers that the Niners brought in the highly regarded Cartwright last year and it was almost a foregone conclusion that he would make the team. Dixon beat him out.

Another quality that will factor into the mix is Dixon's very positive locker room presence. This just cannot be discounted. This would be a very tough cut.

Thanks Rsrkshn and dtg_9er.

My RB's would be Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James; Marcus Lattimore (PUP).

So who would I replace Dixon with? I tend to be a little more controversial but I'd replace Dixon with two players, really...Alex Debniak (a pure FB/ST to back up Miller should he ever go down; he basically replaces Dixon straight up) but also MarQueis Gray (an H-back who can play out of the Q formation and line up anywhere and also play ST).

As to your intangible points with Dixon, no doubt he is a straight up character guy, awesome locker room player and is willing to do anything to keep a spot. I certainly would not be mad if he earned a spot again but if he does, I hope it's not over the versatility and upside of players we recently brought in.

Manningham, Williams

Agreed, Williams is a good player and plays his butt off but we already know what we have in him. I can't to see one or more of these guys shine.

Exactly. We know what we have in Kyle Williams. AJ you can argue he has not unlocked his potential yet. So with that in mind Him, Patton, Lockette, we have no idea what they have. And that's the beauty of it.

The Niners are always looking to get better. That is why it is almost imperative that AJ supplant Williams in the depth chart. Some are projecting KW as the teams #3. That would be a disaster. The Niners need their receiving corp to get a lot better. There is nothing special about Williams. it's no as if he's a lights out punt returner either. The team saw first round talent in Jenkins and his skill set should be measurably better. I also believe that Patton has shown enough potential during his college career to be deemed bringing more to the table than Kyle. Then there's Lockette . . . who knows.

If KW does make the roster, it may be just barely. For the Niners sake that better be the case. He's no shoe in IMO.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Well last year, they had Crabs, Moss, Mario, Kyle, & Ginn, with AJ inactive. Chad Hall was added to the roster after Kyle & Mario went down.

This year, they have Crabs, Boldin, Kyle, & Mario coming back. AJ, Patton, & Lockette are the new hotness. That's it, right?

So, logically, you start the 2013 season like this...

START • (1) Crabs, (2) Boldin, (3+PR) Kyle, (4) AJ - You have the figure the veterans will get the first look. They know the offense, they can't be practice squad-ed, and are healthy.

PUP • Mario - Let's assume he won't be ready Week 1.

INACTIVE OR 5TH STARTERPatton - I'm sorry, but there is no way this guy comes off the bus and beats out Kyle Williams, with Kyle having both two years of experience in the offense AND PR/KR abilities. Maybe he somehow beats out AJ Jenkins, but even that is a stretch.

INACTIVE OR PRACTICE SQUADLockette

Now, all it takes is one injury for any of these guys to move up a spot (it's happened during both years of the Harbaugh era). Either that, or Patton/Lockette beat out AJ Jenkins, cause AJ obviously hasn't shown the coaching staff that he deserves to start... at least not yet.

So really, there's a way for the 49ers to keep all the receivers, and no one gets cut. When Mario gets healthy, it could create a log-jam, but even then you could keep Lockette on the PS regardless.

Because until Lockette shows the coaching staff he deserves to be OFF the practice squad, then we have to assume AJ Jenkins and Kyle Williams are going to get the nod over him. I think everyone makes the team, no one gets cut, and everyone is happy.

One last note... if tragedy were to strike and Crabs or Boldin got a multi-week injury in training camp, I would assume the 49ers would immediately sign a veteran to start in their place, probably one of these guys... Randy Moss (for obvious reasons), Brandon Lloyd, Devery Henderson, Deion Branch, Lee Evans, or Donte Stallworth.

But of course, not T.O.

Nice post and all of these points are certainly safe picks and likely scenarios. In order to shape up differently this off season, someone is going to go down and/or another or two really rise up the depth charts in a clear-cut manner. Let the competition begin!

My RB's would be Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James; Marcus Lattimore (PUP).

So who would I replace Dixon with? I tend to be a little more controversial but I'd replace Dixon with two players, really...Alex Debniak (a pure FB/ST to back up Miller should he ever go down; he basically replaces Dixon straight up) but also MarQueis Gray (an H-back who can play out of the Q formation and line up anywhere and also play ST).

As to your intangible points with Dixon, no doubt he is a straight up character guy, awesome locker room player and is willing to do anything to keep a spot. I certainly would not be mad if he earned a spot again but if he does, I hope it's not over the versatility and upside of players we recently brought in.

Upon reflection, your last point adout versatility and upside is a very key factor and may very well be the straw that pushes Dixon out. I would be sorry to see him go and the team would miss his personality, but you may have something there.

Maybe the team could get something for him in a trade. I'd hate to see him end up at Seattle. I can see the "hawks picking him up just to needle the Niners.

Manningham, Williams

The Niners are always looking to get better. That is why it is almost imperative that AJ supplant Williams in the depth chart. Some are projecting KW as the teams #3. That would be a disaster. The Niners need their receiving corp to get a lot better. There is nothing special about Williams. it's no as if he's a lights out punt returner either. The team saw first round talent in Jenkins and his skill set should be measurably better. I also believe that Patton has shown enough potential during his college career to be deemed bringing more to the table than Kyle. Then there's Lockette . . . who knows.

If KW does make the roster, it may be just barely. For the Niners sake that better be the case. He's no shoe in IMO.

1. "Some are projecting KW as the teams #3. That would be a disaster." • Why would this be a disaster? Kyle would be the #3 receiver on a team that uses lots of two tight end sets. Before all the injuries last year and the year prior, it could also be argued that the 49ers were going receiver-by-committee (Randy Moss was rarely on the field before everyone started getting hurt). But hey, I guess we can pretend to live in a world where Kyle Williams has suddenly digressed to being "a disaster" of an option as the #3 WR. Whatever.

2. "It's not as if he's a lights out punt returner either." • Well besides LaMichael James, there is no one else. And after last year's game vs. Minnesota, everyone was back on the Kyle-as-PR bandwagon. I swear, the zone is never happy with our PR-guy. It's like the guy has to be Devin Hester or he's a failure. The 49ers could have made a big push for Josh Cribbs, but they didn't.

3. "I also believe that Patton has shown enough potential during his college career to be deemed bringing more to the table than Kyle." - You might be right when talking about years to come, but not at the moment. Why do fans always forget about the time it takes for a wide receiver to learn an offense and build chemistry with a quarterback? It's even more true when discussing rookies. I'm sorry, but you're fooling yourself if you think a fourth-rounder in Patton is going to step off the bus, get up to NFL-speed, learn the entire offense, and replace Kyle Williams by September. It's just not realistic. You'd have a stronger argument if you tried to convince me that AJ Jenkins would replace Williams, but even then AJ has barely shown enough to beat out Chad Hall at the moment.

4. "If KW does make the roster, it may be just barely." • Again, why is this the case? Take a look at my breakdown again. You've got Crabs & Boldin ready for Week 1. Mario will probably be on the PUP. There is no one else besides Jeknins that knows the offense. And even if you are somehow and some way correct that Patton beats out Williams on the depth chart, why would they cut Williams? There's no reason to cut him unless Ricardo Lockette suddenly becomes un-benchable. This team kept six receivers last year, and they have the room to do it again with Mario on the PUP & Lockette on the PS.

It just makes no logical sense to think Kyle Williams will be cut, let alone be beat out by Patton or Lockette.

Upon reflection, your last point adout versatility and upside is a very key factor and may very well be the straw that pushes Dixon out. I would be sorry to see him go and the team would miss his personality, but you may have something there.

Maybe the team could get something for him in a trade. I'd hate to see him end up at Seattle. I can see the "hawks picking him up just to needle the Niners.

Yeah they could get a 5th-7th rounder for Dixon if they are lucky. Hard to tell with RB's these days, but it's definitely possible.
Share 49ersWebzone