There are 178 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eric Mangini is in talks with the 49ers (consultant job) *EDIT - HIRED*

Why would they want this dude and to help on offense??? This guy is a secondary coach, our coaches are fine, we just need depth along the deline and to stay healthy and develop our 2012 draft picks and our 2013 draft picks as well and we'll be in the SB.
Fire Harbaugh sign Mangini
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Why would they want this dude and to help on offense??? This guy is a secondary coach, our coaches are fine, we just need depth along the deline and to stay healthy and develop our 2012 draft picks and our 2013 draft picks as well and we'll be in the SB.

Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Fire Harbaugh sign Mangini

Originally posted by Amir:
RT @JasonLaCanfora: Mangini's role with the 49ers, if it came together, would be to assist the offense with ideas on how to prepare for certain defenses, etc

Is that code for - Roman sucks balls and cost us a SB so get somebody in here that know what the f**k they are doing before I lose my job?
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

Hmmm....what would the value of having a strong defensive mind assisting the offense in preparing for various defenses and how to beat them based on various defensive gameplans.............that's a tough one....let me think.

While I'm thinking about that, why did KC hire Chris Ault, the Pistol offense guru....to work with their defense....that's just insanity, he can't help on defense...dumbasses.

When I saw this thread I did admittedly raise an eyebrow. But, I am at the point now that if jim and trent think it will help then I am all for it. They've earned my trust.
To me the biggest value of Mangini would be someone to verbally slap Roman upside the head when he does dumb stuff, like both his gameplans against the Rams last year. Mangini, coming from a defensive perspective would understand exactly what the defense wanted the offense to do and where the defense was vulnerable, so when the Rams defensive backs are playing 10 yards off the 49ers receivers and loading up the box, Mangini would be another voice to say "um, you want try a slant or two here, not saying your plan sucks, but your plan sucks."
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
To me the biggest value of Mangini would be someone to verbally slap Roman upside the head when he does dumb stuff, like both his gameplans against the Rams last year. Mangini, coming from a defensive perspective would understand exactly what the defense wanted the offense to do and where the defense was vulnerable, so when the Rams defensive backs are playing 10 yards off the 49ers receivers and loading up the box, Mangini would be another voice to say "um, you want try a slant or two here, not saying your plan sucks, but your plan sucks."

Excellent point. Or, "Hey, remember that guy named Vernon Davis? We might want to use him...maybe move him around a bit to create mismatches?" or..."You see how the Rams are using Amendola...moving him all over, everywhere, in motion, at various positions and destroying our defense? You know, I heard we have this AJ guy..or Patton...or Williams...or James...or Manningham...or....ah eff it!"

But seriously, Roman gets so much tunnel vision just getting a darn play in, it would be ideal to have someone who can ID the defenses we'll be playing before we play them and properly game plan for them (avoid all the slow starts) AND be that extra set of eyes who can provide some keen insight during the game as well.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Is that code for - Roman sucks balls and cost us a SB so get somebody in here that know what the f**k they are doing before I lose my job?

no.
look at it like this....

Tom Brady.

When Bledsoe went down it was the Hood and Mangini two defensive guys preparing Tom Brady to show him what to expect with deffensive formations. This could help
Or maybe Mangini is being brought it to be a potential DC replacement or a backfield coordinator.
Originally posted by Jcool:

no.

this
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Jcool:

no.

this

whose job are we talking about here? I kinda doubt there's any inclination in the FO to can Harbaugh...as many as there might be coaching in the NFL, Harbaughs do not just grow on trees...
Originally posted by ninermedic:
whose job are we talking about here? I kinda doubt there's any inclination in the FO to can Harbaugh...as many as there might be coaching in the NFL, Harbaughs do not just grow on trees...

Why assume a job is in jeopardy after the last two seasons of success? JH has enough confidence to bring in good coaches without looking over his shoulder...one of his endearing traits. Many of the current assistants are worthy candidates for HCing jobs, Mangini is no different.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninermedic:

Kind of obvious he was talking about Greg Roman.