There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eric Mangini is in talks with the 49ers (consultant job) *EDIT - HIRED*

  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,125
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Firing??

Thank you fixed it.

LOL you got me flipping through the internets trying to confirm the firing.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Dj, GN, do we score in SB if Mangini had already been hired? My thots are between them, neither roman nor JH had any idea what to do and how to score from the 9yd line ,
IN THE SB, with one T.O. left....in other words, INEXPERIENCE. I know they have both been over that situation a million times in their heads since then, but back to the question....Do we score if Mangini had been hired back then? And here's another: What happens in similar situation, say again in playoffs, but now we got 3 guys to make a decision( I hope not and also hope mangini just gives suggestions for D sets against us, but we will see.).
Mangini will certainly help in a lot of ways. As to that last SB drive; the biggest problem was that the offense was just too limiting in a number of ways. First of all, there were no solid receiving options in CK's mind other than Crabtree. Inexperienced QB with limited quality options. Mangini might have helped but the biggest issue was that Kaepernick did not have the depth of experience to get it done there.

Second, HaRo had developed constipation of the brain when they got into the red zone. They just couldn't think beyond ground-and-pound football with some very basic pass patterns. It was like "we are going to line up and do what we do because we are the 49ers and you can't stop us"...but they did.

Compare that to Seattle's red zone offense where they line up in a spread with 4 receivers plus Lynch in the backfield. In the game at their house last year Wilson just sat back and picked a target and the result was 6 points. HaRo not only couldn't defend it, they ignored the success. Perhaps their pride would not let them do it just because Pete Carroll did it, IDK.

So to Mangini, I would hope that he would be the George Seifert to Jim Harbaugh. When Harbaugh proposes something, Mangini says, "WHOA. That is easy to kill. I would do this and this and you are lucky to kick a field goal." Walsh admitted on several occasions that a good deal of the offensive success they had was due to the expertise of Seifert in demonstrating what a defense might do in key situations. If Mangini can fill that role (and I am not saying he is as good as Seifert was but he is reputed to be very bright), I would expect the offense, particularly in the RZ, to be more varied with more options on more plays.

So I guess that means my answer is a conditional "yes." I think Kaepernick's inexperience was the more limiting factor but if Mangini had shown that more options were needed, it might have overcome the lack of experience.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,629
Originally posted by Kolohe:
LOL you got me flipping through the internets trying to confirm the firing.

I am sorry. Please forgive me.
Yeah, Dj, you are right about Kap. This wasn't JUST a coaching error...altho there was plenty to go around...errors, that is.

It did show what happened when you have but 1 receiver... now we are loaded up at WR AND TE with vance/Vernon, the 2 Vs.
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Roman-Mangini-Helping-out-in-Booth/31274341-56b0-43f0-aa5b-8480bc57c06c


i completely forgot about mangini
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Roman-Mangini-Helping-out-in-Booth/31274341-56b0-43f0-aa5b-8480bc57c06c


i completely forgot about mangini


This might be why we suffered 10 running plays of 1 yard or less.
From ESPN:

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – The San Francisco 49ers made a curious addition to their program this offseason when they hired two-time former NFL head coach Eric Mangini as an offensive consultant.

Mangini, who spent the past two seasons as an ESPN analyst, is a defensive specialist. However, he was brought in to help the offense deal with defenses. So far, the arrangement seems to be working.

Thursday, San Francisco offensive coordinator Greg Roman raved about Mangini. He credited Mangini for his help in the team's 34-28 Week 1 victory over Green Bay. Listening to Roman talk, it appears Mangini has a bigger role than his title might suggest. He's part of the mix, not just an occasional voice.

"He's been great," Roman said of Mangini. "Very, very thorough work put in, really on us and the opponent. And he contributed to the game plan last week, as he will every week. And during the game, he's in the booth with us, helping us upstairs, helping communicate what's going on and what just happened or whatnot between series. So, he's doing a great job.

"Oh yeah, he's part of our staff. And he's up there, eyes on the defense, and between series we'll get together and talk."

Smart people do smart things. That's what head coach Jim Harbaugh and company did by bringing in Mangini.

By working with the offense, he is giving the unit a strong feel on opposing defenses and how to exploit them. Mangini thinks like a defensive coordinator, but now from an offensive viewpoint. This could become a bigger trend in the NFL -- or put Mangini back on the map for a bigger role in the future.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
From ESPN:

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – The San Francisco 49ers made a curious addition to their program this offseason when they hired two-time former NFL head coach Eric Mangini as an offensive consultant.

Mangini, who spent the past two seasons as an ESPN analyst, is a defensive specialist. However, he was brought in to help the offense deal with defenses. So far, the arrangement seems to be working.

Thursday, San Francisco offensive coordinator Greg Roman raved about Mangini. He credited Mangini for his help in the team's 34-28 Week 1 victory over Green Bay. Listening to Roman talk, it appears Mangini has a bigger role than his title might suggest. He's part of the mix, not just an occasional voice.

"He's been great," Roman said of Mangini. "Very, very thorough work put in, really on us and the opponent. And he contributed to the game plan last week, as he will every week. And during the game, he's in the booth with us, helping us upstairs, helping communicate what's going on and what just happened or whatnot between series. So, he's doing a great job.

"Oh yeah, he's part of our staff. And he's up there, eyes on the defense, and between series we'll get together and talk."

Smart people do smart things. That's what head coach Jim Harbaugh and company did by bringing in Mangini.

By working with the offense, he is giving the unit a strong feel on opposing defenses and how to exploit them. Mangini thinks like a defensive coordinator, but now from an offensive viewpoint. This could become a bigger trend in the NFL -- or put Mangini back on the map for a bigger role in the future.


Our game plan created 4 lost time outs, 3 false starts, 1 delay of game, and 10 rushing plays for 1 yard or less. Everything else was Kap, O-line, VD, and Boldin's physical ability to overcome that.

I have never seen a team look so out of sorts before the snap. I had a feeling Mangina was a part of this.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Our game plan created 4 lost time outs, 3 false starts, 1 delay of game, and 10 rushing plays for 1 yard or less. Everything else was Kap, O-line, VD, and Boldin's physical ability to overcome that.

I have never seen a team look so out of sorts before the snap. I had a feeling Mangina was a part of this.

But this team had this problem last year...........
I've been a Mangini fan since I saw how classy the dude was when skip bayless threw a fit and got personal.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Our game plan created 4 lost time outs, 3 false starts, 1 delay of game, and 10 rushing plays for 1 yard or less. Everything else was Kap, O-line, VD, and Boldin's physical ability to overcome that.

I have never seen a team look so out of sorts before the snap. I had a feeling Mangina was a part of this.

You're feeling is wrong. What part of the article indicates Mangini has anything to do with plays being called on time?

The issue is Roman getting the play down to Harbaugh in enough time to read the defense and check the play if needed. If Kap doesn't get the time he needs pre-snap, the offense can't function. Mangini is simply providing feedback.

Harbaugh should be credited with some of the issues as well. He called two timeouts pre-snap when he saw a look or formation he didn't like. Some of this is simply being a top line coach that can sniff a particular problem or weakness with the defense.

If you're butthurt over Harbaugh calling timeouts because of pre-snap looks, you're in for a soreassed season. He did it at Stanford and he's going to do it here.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Our game plan created 4 lost time outs, 3 false starts, 1 delay of game, and 10 rushing plays for 1 yard or less. Everything else was Kap, O-line, VD, and Boldin's physical ability to overcome that.

I have never seen a team look so out of sorts before the snap. I had a feeling Mangina was a part of this.

You're feeling is wrong. What part of the article indicates Mangini has anything to do with plays being called on time?

The issue is Roman getting the play down to Harbaugh in enough time to read the defense and check the play if needed. If Kap doesn't get the time he needs pre-snap, the offense can't function. Mangini is simply providing feedback.

Harbaugh should be credited with some of the issues as well. He called two timeouts pre-snap when he saw a look or formation he didn't like. Some of this is simply being a top line coach that can sniff a particular problem or weakness with the defense.

If you're butthurt over Harbaugh calling timeouts because of pre-snap looks, you're in for a soreassed season. He did it at Stanford and he's going to do it here.

I agree with this. We've had clock issues the past 2 years before Mangini got here. This is a complex offense that requires the QB to do a lot pre-snap. If the coaches don't relay the playcall to the QB quickly, there will be problems. Harb-Roman-Kap all need to do their part to improve in this area.

As for the run game being ineffective, I attribute that to the way GB was playing defense. I didn't find their Run D to be impressive at all. A good Run D can win without 8-9 in the box and compromising the secondary. They won with sheer numbers, but got gashed in the air because of it. They played into our hands. We baited them into selling out against the run.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM ]
This is the game where Mangini will really earn his paycheck, if the 49ers can put together a top-notch gameplan against the Seattle defense and move the ball effectively against them, Mangini will have been worth every single penny and a lot more.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is the game where Mangini will really earn his paycheck, if the 49ers can put together a top-notch gameplan against the Seattle defense and move the ball effectively against them, Mangini will have been worth every single penny and a lot more.
Agree
  • Ether
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,494
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Our game plan created 4 lost time outs, 3 false starts, 1 delay of game, and 10 rushing plays for 1 yard or less. Everything else was Kap, O-line, VD, and Boldin's physical ability to overcome that.

I have never seen a team look so out of sorts before the snap. I had a feeling Mangina was a part of this.

The false starts and delay of game are on the players. The coaches don't game plan to include pre-snap penalties. 10 plays of 1 or less yards is because in case you didnt know, the Packers committed everything they had to stop the run. They sacrificed their passing D to stop the run and it showed up in the way of 400 yards and 3 touchdowns.