LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Eric Mangini is in talks with the 49ers (consultant job) *EDIT - HIRED*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If 2 Super Bowl caliber seasons in his first 2 years coaching isn't proof that Jim is the real deal at coach then I challenge you to find someone better to replace him. Jim is a rookie NFL coach and what he has done starting out fresh off a lockout season up until now has been impressive. He has been an instant success and yes he has much more to learn because he is new to this league but his coaching family pedigree and his work ethic make me a very happy fan and Jed a happy owner
  • dj43
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
If 2 Super Bowl caliber seasons in his first 2 years coaching isn't proof that Jim is the real deal at coach then I challenge you to find someone better to replace him. Jim is a rookie NFL coach and what he has done starting out fresh off a lockout season up until now has been impressive. He has been an instant success and yes he has much more to learn because he is new to this league but his coaching family pedigree and his work ethic make me a very happy fan and Jed a happy owner

Don't get me wrong. I like the hire. I am just not convinced he can be talked about in the same vein as guys that have maintained performance over a greater period of time. He inherited a stacked roster and been very free of injuries to key player in comparison to other teams. 49er injuries have been very low, Justin Smith notwithstanding.

But enough of this. I like the Mangini hire. It brings a new perspective that can be a great help as this team faces a league that will have spent the entire off-season preparing to deal with Kaepernick and the read/option. I am betting the coaching staff has spent a lot of time looking at how Atlanta and Baltimore defensed them and working on counters.
I wouldn't call him free of injuries to key players. First year most of his receiving corporation was injured. Last year Justin and aldon along with manningham and hunter were all major injuries. So please don't down play the injuries.
Originally posted by dj43:

But enough of this. I like the Mangini hire. It brings a new perspective that can be a great help as this team faces a league that will have spent the entire off-season preparing to deal with Kaepernick and the read/option. I am betting the coaching staff has spent a lot of time looking at how Atlanta and Baltimore defensed them and working on counters.

Well, the interesting thing to me is that the big bad Ravens defense wasn't really that successful by normal standards. 468 yards, over 300 yards passing, one rusher over 100 yards and two receivers, 31 points. If the rest of the league is going to take whatever their approach was to the Niner offense, I'm fine with that. And, the other thing is that Kaepernick ran out of the read/option less than 3% of the time. The rest of the league seems all hyped up about stopping something that really doesn't happen that often.

But, I like the Mangini hire too. As Madden pointed out, a defensive guy is a great sounding board for offensive ideas and strategy but your regular defensive coaches are just too busy installing defense to spend time with the offense about that. Madden thinks it's a brilliant idea for a coaching staff.
  • dj43
Originally posted by kingairta:
I wouldn't call him free of injuries to key players. First year most of his receiving corporation was injured. Last year Justin and aldon along with manningham and hunter were all major injuries. So please don't down play the injuries.

By league standards the 49ers have been relatively free of injuries the past two years. Justin's injury is the only "key player" injury we have had. Manningham, Williams and Hunter, while major injuries, were not key players in the sense they were critical to the team's success. Manningham, though a starter, was a starter only because there was no one of true starting quality available. Let's hope Jenkins will earn his draft status and take that role.
have we forgotten about this guy or what
Dj, GN, do we score in SB if Mangini had already been hired? My thots are between them, neither roman nor JH had any idea what to do and how to score from the 9yd line ,
IN THE SB, with one T.O. left....in other words, INEXPERIENCE. I know they have both been over that situation a million times in their heads since then, but back to the question....Do we score if Mangini had been hired back then? And here's another: What happens in similar situation, say again in playoffs, but now we got 3 guys to make a decision( I hope not and also hope mangini just gives suggestions for D sets against us, but we will see.).
Originally posted by defenderDX:
have we forgotten about this guy or what

he's on assigmnment spreading disinformation to GB and our mole Tolzien
Holy crap for a second I thought this thread was about Harbaugh. Why are you guys doubting him to be one of the elite coaches when he has the highest winning percentage in the last 2 years. Don't you guys remember our last 3 HC's?? Appreciate that we have a genius in Harbaugh leading this great 49er team.

Now back to the topic of the thread. I think Mangini will help us in a big way, he isn't HC material but he is a defensive genius that can really help our offense figure out wassup with the elite defenses we're going to face. Underrated hire.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I hope that the hiring of Mangini proves to be helpful.

How exactly will we be able to determine if his hiring proves useful?

If the 49er offense attacks the defenses more successfully can we logically assume that that success is attributable to the work of Mangini?
[ Edited by buck on Sep 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM ]

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Holy crap for a second I thought this thread was about Harbaugh. Why are you guys doubting him to be one of the elite coaches when he has the highest winning percentage in the last 2 years. Don't you guys remember our last 3 HC's?? Appreciate that we have a genius in Harbaugh leading this great 49er team.

Now back to the topic of the thread. I think Mangini will help us in a big way, he isn't HC material but he is a defensive genius that can really help our offense figure out wassup with the elite defenses we're going to face. Underrated hire.

Actually, this could be an instrumental hire.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by buck:
I hope that the firing of Mangini proves to be helpful.

How exactly will we be able to determine if his hiring proves useful?

If the 49er offense attacks the defenses more successfully can we logically assume that that success is attributable to the work of Mangini?

Firing??
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Firing??

Thank you fixed it.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Firing??

Thank you fixed it.

LOL you got me flipping through the internets trying to confirm the firing.
  • dj43
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Dj, GN, do we score in SB if Mangini had already been hired? My thots are between them, neither roman nor JH had any idea what to do and how to score from the 9yd line ,
IN THE SB, with one T.O. left....in other words, INEXPERIENCE. I know they have both been over that situation a million times in their heads since then, but back to the question....Do we score if Mangini had been hired back then? And here's another: What happens in similar situation, say again in playoffs, but now we got 3 guys to make a decision( I hope not and also hope mangini just gives suggestions for D sets against us, but we will see.).
Mangini will certainly help in a lot of ways. As to that last SB drive; the biggest problem was that the offense was just too limiting in a number of ways. First of all, there were no solid receiving options in CK's mind other than Crabtree. Inexperienced QB with limited quality options. Mangini might have helped but the biggest issue was that Kaepernick did not have the depth of experience to get it done there.

Second, HaRo had developed constipation of the brain when they got into the red zone. They just couldn't think beyond ground-and-pound football with some very basic pass patterns. It was like "we are going to line up and do what we do because we are the 49ers and you can't stop us"...but they did.

Compare that to Seattle's red zone offense where they line up in a spread with 4 receivers plus Lynch in the backfield. In the game at their house last year Wilson just sat back and picked a target and the result was 6 points. HaRo not only couldn't defend it, they ignored the success. Perhaps their pride would not let them do it just because Pete Carroll did it, IDK.

So to Mangini, I would hope that he would be the George Seifert to Jim Harbaugh. When Harbaugh proposes something, Mangini says, "WHOA. That is easy to kill. I would do this and this and you are lucky to kick a field goal." Walsh admitted on several occasions that a good deal of the offensive success they had was due to the expertise of Seifert in demonstrating what a defense might do in key situations. If Mangini can fill that role (and I am not saying he is as good as Seifert was but he is reputed to be very bright), I would expect the offense, particularly in the RZ, to be more varied with more options on more plays.

So I guess that means my answer is a conditional "yes." I think Kaepernick's inexperience was the more limiting factor but if Mangini had shown that more options were needed, it might have overcome the lack of experience.
Share 49ersWebzone