There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eric Mangini is in talks with the 49ers (consultant job) *EDIT - HIRED*

Originally posted by FL9er:
It's human nature to have a let down every once in a while. No team is going to win/play perfect every week. That is unrealistic. It's frustrating, but I don't agree with your premise dj.

I do agree that Fangio is more of a problem than Roman though.

I agree no team will be perfect every week but last season the 49ers were up and down far too often. That falls to the coaching staff. If it had been only a game or two it would be a different story, but they got beat on the same kind of plays in situations that should have been foreseen and a plan formulated to prevent it. That didn't happen and that fall ultimately on Harbaugh. We can talk about Roman and Fangio but they don't do anything that does go through JH. I am looking to see a more consistent overall performance level. Good 49er teams of the past did not have this repeated up and down pattern.

I like Harbaugh and agree with his hiring but he has not yet shown me he is an elite coach in this league. He gets a lot of unearned credit because the team is winning but it should have been winning before he arrived if the HC was someone with any kind of decent resume in this league. That is why I believe this season will show us a lot about whether this team and this coach are the real deal or not.
dj43: "Good 49er teams of the past did not have this repeated up and down pattern."

The Bill Walsh coached 1988 49er Super Bowl champion regular season record: W W L W W L W L W L L W W W W L

"I like Harbaugh and agree with his hiring but he has not yet shown me he is an elite coach in this league."

Harbaugh's regular season record in the NFL after two years is 24-7-1 for a winning percentage of .776. That happens to be the best in the league over the last two years. For most people, "the best" is synonymous with "elite." I know we're Niner fans, but really, what does it take to satisfy us? If being the #1 winning percentage coach in the league over his first two years including being named Coach of the year in 2011 and being in the top five running for the title again for 2012 isn't enough to impress Niner fans, you can begin to understand why fans of other teams call us whiners.

Don't get me wrong. IMO, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm just trying to bring a little perspective here.
If 2 Super Bowl caliber seasons in his first 2 years coaching isn't proof that Jim is the real deal at coach then I challenge you to find someone better to replace him. Jim is a rookie NFL coach and what he has done starting out fresh off a lockout season up until now has been impressive. He has been an instant success and yes he has much more to learn because he is new to this league but his coaching family pedigree and his work ethic make me a very happy fan and Jed a happy owner
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
If 2 Super Bowl caliber seasons in his first 2 years coaching isn't proof that Jim is the real deal at coach then I challenge you to find someone better to replace him. Jim is a rookie NFL coach and what he has done starting out fresh off a lockout season up until now has been impressive. He has been an instant success and yes he has much more to learn because he is new to this league but his coaching family pedigree and his work ethic make me a very happy fan and Jed a happy owner

Don't get me wrong. I like the hire. I am just not convinced he can be talked about in the same vein as guys that have maintained performance over a greater period of time. He inherited a stacked roster and been very free of injuries to key player in comparison to other teams. 49er injuries have been very low, Justin Smith notwithstanding.

But enough of this. I like the Mangini hire. It brings a new perspective that can be a great help as this team faces a league that will have spent the entire off-season preparing to deal with Kaepernick and the read/option. I am betting the coaching staff has spent a lot of time looking at how Atlanta and Baltimore defensed them and working on counters.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,600 for kingairta.
I wouldn't call him free of injuries to key players. First year most of his receiving corporation was injured. Last year Justin and aldon along with manningham and hunter were all major injuries. So please don't down play the injuries.
Originally posted by dj43:

But enough of this. I like the Mangini hire. It brings a new perspective that can be a great help as this team faces a league that will have spent the entire off-season preparing to deal with Kaepernick and the read/option. I am betting the coaching staff has spent a lot of time looking at how Atlanta and Baltimore defensed them and working on counters.

Well, the interesting thing to me is that the big bad Ravens defense wasn't really that successful by normal standards. 468 yards, over 300 yards passing, one rusher over 100 yards and two receivers, 31 points. If the rest of the league is going to take whatever their approach was to the Niner offense, I'm fine with that. And, the other thing is that Kaepernick ran out of the read/option less than 3% of the time. The rest of the league seems all hyped up about stopping something that really doesn't happen that often.

But, I like the Mangini hire too. As Madden pointed out, a defensive guy is a great sounding board for offensive ideas and strategy but your regular defensive coaches are just too busy installing defense to spend time with the offense about that. Madden thinks it's a brilliant idea for a coaching staff.
Originally posted by kingairta:
I wouldn't call him free of injuries to key players. First year most of his receiving corporation was injured. Last year Justin and aldon along with manningham and hunter were all major injuries. So please don't down play the injuries.

By league standards the 49ers have been relatively free of injuries the past two years. Justin's injury is the only "key player" injury we have had. Manningham, Williams and Hunter, while major injuries, were not key players in the sense they were critical to the team's success. Manningham, though a starter, was a starter only because there was no one of true starting quality available. Let's hope Jenkins will earn his draft status and take that role.
have we forgotten about this guy or what
Dj, GN, do we score in SB if Mangini had already been hired? My thots are between them, neither roman nor JH had any idea what to do and how to score from the 9yd line ,
IN THE SB, with one T.O. left....in other words, INEXPERIENCE. I know they have both been over that situation a million times in their heads since then, but back to the question....Do we score if Mangini had been hired back then? And here's another: What happens in similar situation, say again in playoffs, but now we got 3 guys to make a decision( I hope not and also hope mangini just gives suggestions for D sets against us, but we will see.).
Originally posted by defenderDX:
have we forgotten about this guy or what

he's on assigmnment spreading disinformation to GB and our mole Tolzien
Holy crap for a second I thought this thread was about Harbaugh. Why are you guys doubting him to be one of the elite coaches when he has the highest winning percentage in the last 2 years. Don't you guys remember our last 3 HC's?? Appreciate that we have a genius in Harbaugh leading this great 49er team.

Now back to the topic of the thread. I think Mangini will help us in a big way, he isn't HC material but he is a defensive genius that can really help our offense figure out wassup with the elite defenses we're going to face. Underrated hire.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I hope that the hiring of Mangini proves to be helpful.

How exactly will we be able to determine if his hiring proves useful?

If the 49er offense attacks the defenses more successfully can we logically assume that that success is attributable to the work of Mangini?
[ Edited by buck on Sep 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM ]
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Holy crap for a second I thought this thread was about Harbaugh. Why are you guys doubting him to be one of the elite coaches when he has the highest winning percentage in the last 2 years. Don't you guys remember our last 3 HC's?? Appreciate that we have a genius in Harbaugh leading this great 49er team.

Now back to the topic of the thread. I think Mangini will help us in a big way, he isn't HC material but he is a defensive genius that can really help our offense figure out wassup with the elite defenses we're going to face. Underrated hire.

Actually, this could be an instrumental hire.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by buck:
I hope that the firing of Mangini proves to be helpful.

How exactly will we be able to determine if his hiring proves useful?

If the 49er offense attacks the defenses more successfully can we logically assume that that success is attributable to the work of Mangini?

Firing??
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Firing??

Thank you fixed it.