There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eric Mangini is in talks with the 49ers (consultant job) *EDIT - HIRED*

Originally posted by kingairta:
Could JH be grooming Fangio's replacement when he gets a HC gig next season?

It doesn't seem Fangio is in demand.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

He will be if Kaep lights it up, whether Fangio actually has anything to do with it or not.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

He will be if Kaep lights it up, whether Fangio actually has anything to do with it or not.

It's true, Kaep makes everyone better by his play. Even the DC. Those zippy passes and the gazelle like runs make those NFL GM salivate to have Fangio as HC.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

I'm sorry, I don't see it. Dick LeBeau won 2 SB's with Pittsburgh as the DC...did he get any head coaching interest? Absolutely none. Fangio's been an assistant for over 2 decades in the NFL, if he gets a head coaching gig, the only place I see it happening is in the NCAA. I see Roman as by far the likeliest to get hired as an NFL head coach, sooner rather than later.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
A lot to like about this hire. I am not concerned about what may happen in the future in terms of Mangini replacing someone who leaves. The more likely scenario is that Mangini leaves after a year or two. (more on that later)

This move has Bill Walsh written all over it. Mangini is well recognized as a very good defensive strategist. Very good at recognizing what an opponent is doing and countering it. He begins from that mindset. (I believe that is part of the reason he has failed at previous HC jobs.) In one of his books, Walsh said the 49ers were the best and most balanced offensively AND defensively when George Seifert was DC. Walsh noted very intense film and classroom sessions where Walsh would set down a new play or game plan only to have Seifert snicker as he tore it apart defensively. George held nothing back. Walsh told of times when Seifert would laugh at new plays or game plans. But between the two of them, they would come up with a compromise that made the offense better and kept the defense alert for new wrinkles such as Walsh had just developed. Therefore, I see Mangini being Roman/Harbaugh's Seifert. Nothing genius about this. Just good planning. Just borrowing a page out of Bill Walsh's insightful career.

Mangini has a lot to prove in this move. He has a great mind and a big ego but he also realizes he has to get back in the game somehow if he is to ever be an HC again. No better place in terms of national media attention than a team most pick as a Super Bowl participant. If he can get this offense, and defense over the hump to be consistent against top teams, he will be guaranteed a few interviews for the inevitable openings next spring.

Harbaugh also has a lot to prove this upcoming season. He failed to have a very high quality team ready to play on a week-to-week basis. That W-W-L pattern MUST NOT be repeated. I lay part of that on his very volatile sideline demeanor where players began tuning out his ranting, but even if that were not the case, he must get this team ready to play every week. No more surprises from relatively weak teams like the Rams.

Harbaugh inherited a much better team talent-wise than most national media folks realized. Prior to his arrival, the dismal record of Singletary/Nolan led most pro observers to overlook the talent that was here. They just did not look deep enough to see the potential, hence the performance of Alex Smith, Bowman, the OL, etc. went unnoticed. As a result, when Harbaugh came here with some credibility and planning, the potential was all realized and a lot of teams were caught by surprise in 2011. Last season was different. They did not sneak up on anyone, hence they lost games they NEVER should have lost. That is on Harbaugh. It is his responsibility to get them ready. Consequently, the Mangini hiring is a move to make sure that they are not overlooking something that needs attention. Mangini is the outsider who can challenge Roman's play design and play-calling as Seifert used to do. Mangini is not bound by the prior relationships as Harbaugh it. He can look more objectively at what Roman, and other teams, are planning to do, and point out the flaws, and the strengths.

I like it. I don't care how long it lasts or who comes later. The Super Bowl window is open now like it may never be again in the near future. As Ronnie Lott used to say, "The job is to win THIS YEAR. Don't worry about next year. There may never be a "next year" for you. Get the job done now." Eric Mangini may well be the piece that makes that happen.
[ Edited by dj43 on Jun 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM ]
I'm looking at it on Mangini's side. He implied that he wants to be more involved, learn the offensive side of the ball, so he can be multi facet once he gets another HC job. Bill Walsh mentioned he learned all about defenses before he became an offensive coach. Mangini can help Roman with attacking the defense, but at the same time he's learning from Roman how to use the offensive plays and personnel to set up and attack it.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM ]
  • kush
  • Veteran
"Harbaugh also has a lot to prove this upcoming season. He failed to have a very high quality team ready to play on a week-to-week basis."

He made Mr. Bust and the Raw-boy-wonder into top-5 rated QBs last season. Go root for the Jets.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kush:
"Harbaugh also has a lot to prove this upcoming season. He failed to have a very high quality team ready to play on a week-to-week basis."

He made Mr. Bust and the Raw-boy-wonder into top-5 rated QBs last season. Go root for the Jets.

So...how does your flippant remark relate to the point I made about the W-W-L pattern that plagued the 49ers last season? I could have also pointed out the failure of the team to get off to a good start in the playoffs? Had they been ready to start the game against the Ravens there would likely be another Lombardi trophy at 4949 Centennial.

The very fact that Harbaugh developed some talent yet the team struggled to begin critical games well and be ready consistently last season clearly shows Harbaugh has his own hurdle to cross. W-W-L again this fall will result in the 49ers sitting at home watching the Seahawks play in NJ/NY on February 2, 2014.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

So...how does your flippant remark relate to the point I made about the W-W-L pattern that plagued the 49ers last season? I could have also pointed out the failure of the team to get off to a good start in the playoffs? Had they been ready to start the game against the Ravens there would likely be another Lombardi trophy at 4949 Centennial.

The very fact that Harbaugh developed some talent yet the team struggled to begin critical games well and be ready consistently last season clearly shows Harbaugh has his own hurdle to cross. W-W-L again this fall will result in the 49ers sitting at home watching the Seahawks play in NJ/NY on February 2, 2014.

You do know that "slow starts" and the team struggling "to begin critical games" are two examples of seriously oversimplification, right? People say "stats aren't everything"...If you are going to blame our slow starts on Harbaugh at least provide a simple stat to explain how you reached your conclusion. You provide nothing but generalized statements.
  • dj43
  • Veteran

You do know that "slow starts" and the team struggling "to begin critical games" are two examples of seriously oversimplification, right? People say "stats aren't everything"...If you are going to blame our slow starts on Harbaugh at least provide a simple stat to explain how you reached your conclusion. You provide nothing but generalized statements.

Since I am going to assume you saw all those games last season and still come up with this sidestep, I am just going to pass for now. Falling behind against BOTH Atlanta and Baltimore are not "serious oversimplifications."
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'm sorry, I don't see it. Dick LeBeau won 2 SB's with Pittsburgh as the DC...did he get any head coaching interest? Absolutely none. Fangio's been an assistant for over 2 decades in the NFL, if he gets a head coaching gig, the only place I see it happening is in the NCAA. I see Roman as by far the likeliest to get hired as an NFL head coach, sooner rather than later.

He actually did get some HC interest.
  • kush
  • Veteran

Since I am going to assume you saw all those games last season and still come up with this sidestep, I am just going to pass for now. Falling behind against BOTH Atlanta and Baltimore are not "serious oversimplifications."

We fell behind, there's no arguing that. Why we fell behind is where you and I have our hang-up.
Originally posted by Hopper:
He actually did get some HC interest.

LeBeau or Fangio? If Fangio, I hope you're not referring to some random reports just tossed out there in the early offseason, where it seems like the media was pushing him, Seely and Roman as head coaching candidates. Fangio is like Marc Trestman without the CFL head coaching experience.

We fell behind, there's no arguing that. Why we fell behind is where you and I have our hang-up.

We fell behind because we play the same defense against everybody, and smart OC's can and do strategize against our man-up, 2 deep concepts. Also, our 2 best pass rushers got hurt. But even if you discount the injuries, it was evident that opposing OC's weren't going to anything more than 3-step drops to keep their QBs upright. We also got slaughtered by pick-plays, most notably at Seattle but then again in the playoffs. Pick plays work well against man, but not zone, and Fail-gio just couldn't adjust. We always played better in 2nd half, but good DC's can adjust after one or two series
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
It's human nature to have a let down every once in a while. No team is going to win/play perfect every week. That is unrealistic. It's frustrating, but I don't agree with your premise dj.

I do agree that Fangio is more of a problem than Roman though.