There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eric Mangini is in talks with the 49ers (consultant job) *EDIT - HIRED*

Senior Offensive Consultant...in essence, he's a defensive mind that will let the offensive guys know where the holes are in their approach from a defensive perspective.

He won't call plays, he won't be responsible for anything other than suggestions as to what the opposing D might be doing.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

RT @49ers: #49ers senior offensive consultant Eric Mangini at OTAs. pic.twitter.com/pkquSwJYzE

That coach in the back..."Dey took hourrr jobz!"
Originally posted by MannySoopa49ersnMD:
Senior Offensive Consultant...in essence, he's a defensive mind that will let the offensive guys know where the holes are in their approach from a defensive perspective.

He won't call plays, he won't be responsible for anything other than suggestions as to what the opposing D might be doing.

Brilliant. You've got Roman and Fangio completely focused on game day and a consultant who can say, "ummm, it appears the Ravens are zero-blitzing here...run a counter here." He could also be instrumental at helping the coaches devise a proper game plan (esp. Roman) to avoid the cold starts. Maybe attack some weaknesses.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

RT @49ers: #49ers senior offensive consultant Eric Mangini at OTAs. pic.twitter.com/pkquSwJYzE

That coach in the back..."Dey took hourrr jobz!"

looks good in a niner top:)

Brilliant. You've got Roman and Fangio completely focused on game day and a consultant who can say, "ummm, it appears the Ravens are zero-blitzing here...run a counter here." He could also be instrumental at helping the coaches devise a proper game plan (esp. Roman) to avoid the cold starts. Maybe attack some weaknesses.

Yup, I believe this is exactly what he was hired for.

I wouldn't doubt if they sat him down in a film room and made him watch the pistol and read-option offense for hours on end and then ask him how he would try to stop it. Could give them a head start on some of the looks they might get from opposing D's this year.
Originally posted by KegBert:

Yup, I believe this is exactly what he was hired for.

I wouldn't doubt if they sat him down in a film room and made him watch the pistol and read-option offense for hours on end and then ask him how he would try to stop it. Could give them a head start on some of the looks they might get from opposing D's this year.

Agreed, another good point. Insurance, an extra set of eyes, some expertise, etc. Good move. Period.
The more I think about it, the more impressed I am with this move. It's so innovative, I mean how many NFL teams have created this "Mangini" position?!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Then wouldn't you need an expert in offense instead of Mangini, an expert on defense?

Originally posted by fastforward:
Then wouldn't you need an expert in offense instead of Mangini, an expert on defense?

Who better than a top defensive mind to sit back , analyze a defense on tape, then come back to the offense and say....."If I was calling the defense, I would attack you here, here, and there.". He would also be able to relay which areas he felt a particular defense would bemost vulnerable for targeting. Basically, its another set of experienced eyes to tell Roman "no ddon't run up the middle, slant route them to death until they adjust.".

+1 This is why I love Harbaugh so unconventional. It's all about innovating - not just offensive schemes, but the way organizations are run. This is where he's really like Walsh.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
The more I think about it, the more impressed I am with this move. It's so innovative, I mean how many NFL teams have created this "Mangini" position?!

KC
Since he is already looking ahead of this gig, I wonder how long he is going to stick around with us?
I like it imo a very underrated hire. He is a smart guy and knows football. He sucked as a headcoach but jets and browns are two of the s**tiest teams.
Anyway IMO coaching is the most important thing in football just ask alex smith. So you can never have enough good coaches.
There are guy who sucked as HC but are excellent coordinators.

Norv Turner, Joe Buegal are definitely two that come to mind.

Smart move on Jh/Baalke part. Innovative, and insurance in case Donatelle bolts.
More brain power added to the team, I think mangenius contributions will be felt positively on the gridiron.
Could JH be grooming Fangio's replacement when he gets a HC gig next season?