LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Eric Mangini is in talks with the 49ers (consultant job) *EDIT - HIRED*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Can't get any lower after being with Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. Mangini was driven back into the NFL coaching in any capacity by those 2 morons.

not to mention screaming herm edwards
The 49ers FO must know somethings up by seasons end regardless of where the 49ers finish. I'd say teams with mobile QBs will be on top of that list hunting Roman. As for Vic, maybe the college ranks as a HC.
Thanks a lot, Obama.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Habaugh is getting ready for the inevitable. Either Vic or Roman will be snatched after this season. If Vic goes, I'd say Donatel go to D-coordinator and Mangini go to D-back coordinator.
You really think Mangini would come back to NFL coaching as a position coach? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind things falling that ay if we lost Fangio. I just don't know if Mangini would go for that. Seems kind of below him.

Can't get any lower after being with Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. Mangini was driven back into the NFL coaching in any capacity by those 2 morons.

Now one's been knocking on his door lately, huh? He get his foot in the door, learn some new things with a great organization and do well; he'll get new opportunities.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Habaugh is getting ready for the inevitable. Either Vic or Roman will be snatched after this season. If Vic goes, I'd say Donatel go to D-coordinator and Mangini go to D-back coordinator.
You really think Mangini would come back to NFL coaching as a position coach? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind things falling that ay if we lost Fangio. I just don't know if Mangini would go for that. Seems kind of below him.

DCs are not position coaches. They are coordinators. Generally that job is one step away from HC. Norv had to man a coordinator position between HC jobs, Linehan was a HC who has been stuck at OC since fired, Marinelli went from HC to DL coach, back up to DC. My point is, Manging didn't have the kind of success that buys him "HC or nothing" clout. My guess is, Donatell leaves after this year, and Mangini winds up coaching DBs for a season or two. Then, Fangio dries up into dust and Mangini takes over the defense, where he stays until he dies (most NFL HCs only get two strikes).

This right here ^^ I agree 100%.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
i dont like this at all...Man Genius was a disgrace in ny..and in cleveland..wtf
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Fangio and Roman are still running things with Harbaugh. Grant Cohen actually had a good observation for a change - his theory is that since Mangini has been at ESPN now for a couple of years, he's been talking with everyone and he's a great brain to pick for information on different philosophies and strategy around the league. Plus, Mangini is a Belechek guy and it never hurts to get a Belechek angle on something. So Cohen's theory is that Mangini is just here for a year for Harbaugh and his staff to get useful, league-wide information from - in particular, how a given organization might defend against something the Niners have in mind for offense.
^^^ yeah we needed a guy that worked for the NFL Network to get good with us and get more positive publicity (see, Ravens, East-Coast-Bias) in hopes of becoming the Ravens-West where the NFL will have to allow us to win a fair Superbowl, esp. in their "golden" anniversary in Santa Clara! Think of all the interviews and connections we'll have now...we'll have non-stop coverage and check-ins at 49ers headquarters. This will satisfy the East-Coast-Bias haters for a while. Ahhhhh the conspiracies. LOL j/k.

PS: Seattle is good for the NFL too...now you've got Seattle, SF, Dallas and Denver!
Originally posted by NCommand:
PS: Seattle is good for the NFL too...now you've got Seattle, SF, Dallas and Denver!

Seattle may be the new version of the Raiders as far as the NFL brass is concerned what with working the system on Sherman and stringing things out with Lynch. They certainly gave Seattle as hard a schedule as possible this next season.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Seattle may be the new version of the Raiders as far as the NFL brass is concerned what with working the system on Sherman and stringing things out with Lynch. They certainly gave Seattle as hard a schedule as possible this next season.

Exactly...there is no such thing as negative press. LOL

^^^ yeah we needed a guy that worked for the NFL Network to get good with us and get more positive publicity (see, Ravens, East-Coast-Bias) in hopes of becoming the Ravens-West where the NFL will have to allow us to win a fair Superbowl, esp. in their "golden" anniversary in Santa Clara! Think of all the interviews and connections we'll have now...we'll have non-stop coverage and check-ins at 49ers headquarters. This will satisfy the East-Coast-Bias haters for a while. Ahhhhh the conspiracies. LOL j/k.

You is wrong. The Adderall Boys aren't good for the NFL image.
You is wrong. The Adderall Boys aren't good for the NFL image.

LOL. The profits are though...all these newfound Hawk fans will keep spending top dollar to watch their roided up boys play/win while the NFL allows for a different set of rules on the field and spreads out the offenses so as not to hurt the product on the field. If the NFL cared about cheaters Pete C. and Bill B. and the entire Cowboys team/staff of the 90's wouldn't be in the NFL.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

DCs are not position coaches. They are coordinators. Generally that job is one step away from HC. Norv had to man a coordinator position between HC jobs, Linehan was a HC who has been stuck at OC since fired, Marinelli went from HC to DL coach, back up to DC. My point is, Manging didn't have the kind of success that buys him "HC or nothing" clout. My guess is, Donatell leaves after this year, and Mangini winds up coaching DBs for a season or two. Then, Fangio dries up into dust and Mangini takes over the defense, where he stays until he dies (most NFL HCs only get two strikes).

This right here ^^ I agree 100%.
I was refering the what ObePwnD called the D-back "coordinator". I don't think position exist in the NFL, but correct me if I'm wrong. I think he meant D-backs coach, and that is a position coach. My guess is that he'll be groomed to take over either of the coordinator spot if/when they open up, probably offensive. Mangini is known to be smart and at least a creative coach.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

RT @49ers: #49ers senior offensive consultant Eric Mangini at OTAs. pic.twitter.com/pkquSwJYzE

Senior Offensive Consultant...in essence, he's a defensive mind that will let the offensive guys know where the holes are in their approach from a defensive perspective.

He won't call plays, he won't be responsible for anything other than suggestions as to what the opposing D might be doing.
Share 49ersWebzone