There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eric Mangini is in talks with the 49ers (consultant job) *EDIT - HIRED*

Don't judge what a coach has done with the Jets and Browns. Neither Bill Belicheat or Pete Carrol could win with those poorly run organizations. Keep in mind Mangini did very well as a defensive coordinator in New England. Mangini is young very well spoken and knows the NFL game. As others have stated he brings another good set of eyes to the film room. I bad mouthed the York's in the past but since Jed York took over he has nothing but run a first class organization. He has made one great decision after another the last 3 to 4 years.
[ Edited by SanFranFanfrmVa on Jun 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Mangini, a former DC hired as "senior offensive consultant" is so Harbaalke. Always trying to throw the rest of NFL for a loop. Love it.

It's the equivalent of counter-surveillance. Spy on the spy who is spying on us. Analyze their approach and outthink them.
I'm also in the party of... why?
Originally posted by NickSh49:

This probably is part of half-time adjustment planning. Have preparations for what teams could potentially do to combat us, and plan to adjust to their adjustments.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jun 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM ]

Why not? He has ties to Baalke. He has an innovative mind and he's looking for work. He won't be making direct decisions like a coordinator, so I don't see the downside.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Then wouldn't you need an expert in offense instead of Mangini, an expert on defense?

Originally posted by fastforward:
Then wouldn't you need an expert in offense instead of Mangini, an expert on defense?

Who better than a top defensive mind to sit back , analyze a defense on tape, then come back to the offense and say....."If I was calling the defense, I would attack you here, here, and there.". He would also be able to relay which areas he felt a particular defense would bemost vulnerable for targeting. Basically, its another set of experienced eyes to tell Roman "no ddon't run up the middle, slant route them to death until they adjust.".
Good hire. It didn't work out for him as a head coach, but so what? A lot of quality assistants fit under that profile.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Good hire. It didn't work out for him as a head coach, but so what? A lot of quality assistants fit under that profile.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have essentially made a system out of hiring talented assistants who failed as head coaches and keeping them on for the long haul.

A few years back, a guy like Mangini might have upset the apple cart but the 49ers now have a clear, defined pecking order with Harbaugh and Baalke running the show. I expect Mangini to settle in and find a role in which he can be very helpful and productive. He's a guy with a great coaching background, was an offensive assistant under Ted Marchibroda who Harbaugh is quite familiar with and fond of, he worked under Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick as well.
good move for the 9ers

Because all he has to add is a black Niner sweatshirt.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Because all he has to add is a black Niner sweatshirt.

Dude is slowly morphing into Mike Holmgren............

Im in the party of... why not?

Coaching is a 24/7 job during the season, our defensive staff doesnt have time to sit in and consult on game plans and adjustments for offensive meetings. He is the best defensive mind available willing to take a "consultant" position for offense.

The media wants to speculate because thats what they do, Fangio isnt going anywhere he is attached to Harbaugh at the hip. Not that Mangini is anywhere close to Bellicheck in head coaching ability, but the patriots offense took off when Bellicheck started getting involved with the offense during McDaniels first tenure with the pats and has stayed at that level ever since.

Another way to look at it, this could be as much of a learning experience for Harbaugh as it could be for Mangini. Harbaugh can learn even more about defense while still being more involved in the offense.
[ Edited by 5280High on Jun 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Im in the party of... why not?

Coaching is a 24/7 job during the season, our defensive staff doesnt have time to sit in and consult on game plans and adjustments for offensive meetings. He is the best defensive mind available willing to take a "consultant" position for offense.

The media wants to speculate because thats what they do, Fangio isnt going anywhere he is attached to Harbaugh at the hip. Not that Mangini is anywhere close to Bellicheck in head coaching ability, but the patriots offense took off when Bellicheck started getting involved with the offense during McDaniels first tenure with the pats and has stayed at that level ever since.

Another way to look at it, this could be as much of a learning experience for Harbaugh as it could be for Mangini. Harbaugh can learn even more about defense while still being more involved in the offense.

Mangini has also worked as an offensive assistant before, that along with his two tenures as a head coach gives him some good insight on what's required for both sides of the line scrimmage......also as you mentioned, Fangio and his staff are busily gameplanning for the opposing offense, having a smart defensive mind to assist the offense in preparing for the opposing defense is a great move.
I love the hire. I think it's...dare I say...genius!"
Originally posted by redrathman:

Why not? He has ties to Baalke. He has an innovative mind and he's looking for work. He won't be making direct decisions like a coordinator, so I don't see the downside.

There is no downside.

We have one of the better minds of the NFL who has championship and coaching experience.

If Roman leaves he could be a front runner for OC.