There are 232 users in the forums

Would Julian Peterson start over Ahmad Brooks?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would Julian Peterson start over Ahmad Brooks?

Originally posted by GNielsen:
They used him more effectively. But why do you turn around and taunt the fans who supported you for five or six years, fans who cheered for you, fans of the team that drafted you and brought you into the league? To me that showed absolutely zero class. The only reason some people around here think he was better than Brooks is because Peterson played on a bad defense, whereas Brooks plays on a great defense. Brooks plays in the same linebacker group as the two best inside linebackers in the league and the guy who almost led the league in sacks last season. Brooks is bigger, just as fast, much stronger against the run and just a better all-around linebacker.

I agree that it was a classless type of gesture.. but I always felt he did it more to snub his nose at the team.. not so much the fans. It was his way of saying, "remember me, b**ches? yeah, yall should have paid me what I wanted to stay!" ... but it made sense for us to just move on. His demands were just too unreasonable.
Whats going to really blow your mind is would Steve young keep Colin on the bench....
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Whats going to really blow your mind is would Steve young keep Colin on the bench....

If Steve (or Joe) were starting and healthy, no one else gets a look in. And that's why it's so hard to stay at the top. And, by the way, I don't want to go through that Joe/Steve thing again so lets please have our franchise qb's one at a time.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
They used him more effectively. But why do you turn around and taunt the fans who supported you for five or six years, fans who cheered for you, fans of the team that drafted you and brought you into the league? To me that showed absolutely zero class. The only reason some people around here think he was better than Brooks is because Peterson played on a bad defense, whereas Brooks plays on a great defense. Brooks plays in the same linebacker group as the two best inside linebackers in the league and the guy who almost led the league in sacks last season. Brooks is bigger, just as fast, much stronger against the run and just a better all-around linebacker.

I agree that it was a classless type of gesture.. but I always felt he did it more to snub his nose at the team.. not so much the fans. It was his way of saying, "remember me, b**ches? yeah, yall should have paid me what I wanted to stay!" ... but it made sense for us to just move on. His demands were just too unreasonable.

You know, I was at a couple of those games and he turned his back to the stands and did the double thumbs. He didn't point his back to the Niner sideline. He pointed at the stands. As far as I'm concerned, he was the b**ch.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I agree about Justin Smith, but I think Bryant Young was equally ridiculous over his last three seasons when he was playing LDE. Keep in mind the level of talent around the two... not to mention coaching. I'm not diminishing Justin Smith in the least, only saying that Bryant Young could have given him competition. It's a moot point anyway because like I said, Young would start over McDonald.

The thought of having Justin Smith and Bryant Young on the same team makes me hard.

I agree, I also was disappointed when BY retired after an all pro calibur year. We could have had both for a season if he did not hang em up. It would have been scary for other teams.
thats why he became irrelevant a year or two after he left us. f**k peterson. brooks is a great linebacker and lemonier will be even better
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

You know, I was at a couple of those games and he turned his back to the stands and did the double thumbs. He didn't point his back to the Niner sideline. He pointed at the stands. As far as I'm concerned, he was the b**ch.

if i remember correctly, wasn't JP offered what at the time would have been the biggest contract in team history back in 2004? something in the high $40mil's...... $46 mil i wanna say. but his agents were trying to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league......... which is laughable. yeah he eventually got the $50mil+. but he was eventually traded for Corey Redding..... which says a lot.
my first reaction to this question for fk yeah.

but after thinking about it, no way.....

JP's probably a better man coverage guy than Ahmad, but that's about it, but PW and Bowman handle man coverage on the TE/RB's in the current scheme and would make that aspect of JP's game irrelevant. about the same as a pass rusher, and ahmad is better in the run game.
This is coming from a fan that owns a Peterson jersey. The only thing peterson did well was cover tight ends. Does nobody remember him getting pushed around on running plays?

Ahmad is the better overall lb.
Originally posted by NorcalNiner:
This is coming from a fan that owns a Peterson jersey. The only thing peterson did well was cover tight ends. Does nobody remember him getting pushed around on running plays?

I totally remember that. They used to run right at him as a tactic and it was a successful tactic.

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

If Steve (or Joe) were starting and healthy, no one else gets a look in. And that's why it's so hard to stay at the top. And, by the way, I don't want to go through that Joe/Steve thing again so lets please have our franchise qb's one at a time.

Originally posted by NorcalNiner:

I totally remember that. They used to run right at him as a tactic and it was a successful tactic.

Run right at the lightning quick , 235 speedster LB ...that was the plan
Tony Parrish would start over Whitner.

Bryant Young would start over RayMac

Fred Beasly (maybe a younger version) would get the start over Miller

Eric Johnson would've made a great backup.
Julian Peterson as a person would have no place on this current TEAM. Julian Peterson as a player was a beast and is twice the player Brooks is/can be.

This is where success breads contempt - the fans that were here through the VERY lean years know what kind of player Peterson was. The new fans can easily be swayed.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Tony Parrish would start over Whitner.

Bryant Young would start over RayMac

Fred Beasly (maybe a younger version) would get the start over Miller

Eric Johnson would've made a great backup.

+1 x 1,000.

Bryant Young can't even be debated.
Beasly was seriously underrated due to our awful team.
Eric Johnson was a remendous possession recevier (granted that during these years we didn't have possession very often).
Tony Parrish vs. Whitiner is a true debate that could go withr way in my opnion.

Nice list though.
Share 49ersWebzone