There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Julian Peterson start over Ahmad Brooks?

Would Julian Peterson start over Ahmad Brooks?

• GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
As much as I love Bryant Young, he never played at an MVP level (league MVP, not team). Justin Smith got screwed out of the NFL Defensive MVP award in 2011 and losing him to injury in 2012 should have proven his worth. I'm sorry, but as good as Bryant Young was, he didn't have the kind of impact Justin Smith has on this defense. He was a force, but Justin Smith is ridiculous. He's so good that even though people give him major credit, they still don't give him enough credit, if you get what I'm saying.

And a healthy Jeremy Newberry would definitely start over Goodwin.

I believe Bryant Young first 3 years in the league were MVP type seasons. But I do think that in the 3-4 system Justin has proven to be better than Young.
I also believe that Chris Dalman would start over Goodwin.
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
As much as I love Bryant Young, he never played at an MVP level (league MVP, not team). Justin Smith got screwed out of the NFL Defensive MVP award in 2011 and losing him to injury in 2012 should have proven his worth. I'm sorry, but as good as Bryant Young was, he didn't have the kind of impact Justin Smith has on this defense. He was a force, but Justin Smith is ridiculous. He's so good that even though people give him major credit, they still don't give him enough credit, if you get what I'm saying.

And a healthy Jeremy Newberry would definitely start over Goodwin.

I believe Bryant Young first 3 years in the league were MVP type seasons. But I do think that in the 3-4 system Justin has proven to be better than Young.
I also believe that Chris Dalman would start over Goodwin.

i believe it was the 1996 season where bryant young was basically unblockable. the following year in 1997 he got loads more of attention and thus dana stubblefield was the DPOY.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SaksV:
The game that sticks out in my mind is the Cowboys game @ Dallas where he played 5+ positions on defense throughout the game.
That and the NYG Wild Card game he played very well....always an active presence on the field.
Peterson was a beast. He would certainly start over Ahmad Brooks.

Forgot about that game, Thanks for the memory.
Peterson had a few good years, but he never fit the 3-4. He wasn't valuable to this defense.
Hell no
the thought of Bryant Young lining up next to Justin Smith makes me drool
Originally posted by 9erObsession:
the thought of Bryant Young lining up next to Justin Smith makes me drool

LOL...yes!
Brandon Lloyd would start at wr along with crabs... He would probably be our best downfield threat.

Tony parish would probably not make it but a couple years earlier in his prime he most definitely would.

By would make the team.

That's about it though
Originally posted by pdizo916:
In 2004, that was the worst 49ers team I've ever witnessed and Julian Peterson was our "all star." I pesonally thought he got so much love not because he was a great player, but the lack of talent that was around him. He was our shining star in a big pile of crap.

As I compare this team to the teams 9 yrs ago, it begs the question: Would Julian Peterson start over Brooks since there's no way in hell we would start over Smith. In fact, would any of the 49er team in 2004 start over anyone from this current team. (Bryant Young over Ray Mcdonald) OR better yet, which starters from the 2004 team would even make this roster as a back up? From the top of my head, I don't think Barlow and Rattay wouldn't even make this roster.

discuss.

Peterson was always legit. He was a star when we were good, and when we were bad. He even put up 3 more pro bowl seasons after he left with SEA. 5 time pro bowler, 1 time all-pro. In his prime, yes, he was better than Brooks.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Peterson was always legit. He was a star when we were good, and when we were bad. He even put up 3 more pro bowl seasons after he left with SEA. 5 time pro bowler, 1 time all-pro. In his prime, yes, he was better than Brooks.

Peterson's last four years with Niners: 14.5 sacks
Brooks' last four years with the Niners: 23.5 sacks
Peterson: 6'3", 235lbs, 4.5 40
Brooks: 6'4", 255lbs, 4.5 40

Peterson: good pass defender, not good against the run, can't hold the edge, teams run right at him
Brooks: good pass defender, great against the run, holds the edge, teams can't run right at him.

Sorry bud, but those are the facts.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Niners99:

Peterson's last four years with Niners: 14.5 sacks
Brooks' last four years with the Niners: 23.5 sacks
Peterson: 6'3", 235lbs, 4.5 40
Brooks: 6'4", 255lbs, 4.5 40

Peterson: good pass defender, not good against the run, can't hold the edge, teams run right at him
Brooks: good pass defender, great against the run, holds the edge, teams can't run right at him.

Sorry bud, but those are the facts.

Basically!
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
I remember when JP signed with the Seahawks, that dude flexed his biceps at use like 3 times a game every time we played him.
Dude owned us

yeah and the nametag pointing.. To his credit he played decent for the Seahawks.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
I remember when JP signed with the Seahawks, that dude flexed his biceps at use like 3 times a game every time we played him.
Dude owned us

yeah and the nametag pointing.. To his credit he played decent for the Seahawks.

They used him more effectively. But why do you turn around and taunt the fans who supported you for five or six years, fans who cheered for you, fans of the team that drafted you and brought you into the league? To me that showed absolutely zero class. The only reason some people around here think he was better than Brooks is because Peterson played on a bad defense, whereas Brooks plays on a great defense. Brooks plays in the same linebacker group as the two best inside linebackers in the league and the guy who almost led the league in sacks last season. Brooks is bigger, just as fast, much stronger against the run and just a better all-around linebacker.
Niners JP , Yes

Late Seahawks JP no.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Niners JP , Yes

Late Seahawks JP no.

So, you think that with this current defensive scheme, Julian Peterson would be better in Ahmed Brooks' position even though Brooks is bigger, better at setting the edge, better at stopping the run, gets more sacks and is just as fast. Hoooookay.