LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Would Julian Peterson start over Ahmad Brooks?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would Julian Peterson start over Ahmad Brooks?

LOL. No.
I remember a game against the Chiefs, Peterson blanketed Tony Gonzalez. He was not a great pass rusher, whereas Brooks is a load on the end. Some might say that Brooks doesn't have big numbers in sack totals, but he comes up with the big play consistently.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
I could be wrong but was he still a pro bowler when the Niners had that two-year playoff run with Garce and Owens

But do you think JP in his prime> Brooks right now?

Yes

Yes. Remember his pass deflection vs. Gonzales? I forget the year, but the was ba uh dazz.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I remember a game against the Chiefs, Peterson blanketed Tony Gonzalez. He was not a great pass rusher, whereas Brooks is a load on the end. Some might say that Brooks doesn't have big numbers in sack totals, but he comes up with the big play consistently.

You know who else is a great coverage linebacker? Manny Lawson. I always liked Manny. Didn't bring what we were hoping as a pass rusher, but he could cover with the best of them.
Peterson in his prime was really good. At one point he was arguably the top 4-3 OLB. He rushed the passer very well, especially in Seattle. Didn't see him enough in a 3-4 to tell if he would be successful. We did a little bit in 2005 but didn't have the personnel, plus he was coming off injury. I don't think he would have started over Brooks.

Brooks has something like 23 or 24 sacks over the last four years which is about 10 more than Peterson had in his last four years with the Niners.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Bryant Young would have pushed any player on our current DL for a starting role, including Justin Smith. He would start over McDonald.

Jeremy Newberry would start over Goodwin if he were healthy.

Meh, that's all the thought I'm putting into this.

As much as I love Bryant Young, he never played at an MVP level (league MVP, not team). Justin Smith got screwed out of the NFL Defensive MVP award in 2011 and losing him to injury in 2012 should have proven his worth. I'm sorry, but as good as Bryant Young was, he didn't have the kind of impact Justin Smith has on this defense. He was a force, but Justin Smith is ridiculous. He's so good that even though people give him major credit, they still don't give him enough credit, if you get what I'm saying.

And a healthy Jeremy Newberry would definitely start over Goodwin.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

You know who else is a great coverage linebacker? Manny Lawson. I always liked Manny. Didn't bring what we were hoping as a pass rusher, but he could cover with the best of them.

The problem was, his primary job was to rush the passer - not cover TEs - and he sucked at it.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
As much as I love Bryant Young, he never played at an MVP level (league MVP, not team). Justin Smith got screwed out of the NFL Defensive MVP award in 2011 and losing him to injury in 2012 should have proven his worth. I'm sorry, but as good as Bryant Young was, he didn't have the kind of impact Justin Smith has on this defense. He was a force, but Justin Smith is ridiculous. He's so good that even though people give him major credit, they still don't give him enough credit, if you get what I'm saying.

I agree about Justin Smith, but I think Bryant Young was equally ridiculous over his last three seasons when he was playing LDE. Keep in mind the level of talent around the two... not to mention coaching. I'm not diminishing Justin Smith in the least, only saying that Bryant Young could have given him competition. It's a moot point anyway because like I said, Young would start over McDonald.

The thought of having Justin Smith and Bryant Young on the same team makes me hard.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Great question, but a little hard for me to answer... JP was better in coverage, AB better stuffing the run and both do/did good at rushing the passer. I wonder what JP would look like playing alongside Willis, Bowman and A. Smith

Would Brandon Lloyd and Tim Rattay even make the squad? How about Derek Smith-would he be the ideal 3rd MLB?
I agree with JP's run deficiency, to a degree. Obviously 43 linebackers play at a lighter weight. And aside from JP's almost safety like frame, the best run support he had around him were two 'above average' run defenders; Smith and Young. Not to mention that his eye's were always fixed elsewhere, due to the vulnerabilities in pass coverage. And if I'm not mistaken he scored pretty low on the Wonderlic, which is another illustration of something compromising of his ability to fit into that scheme, when he's always getting all twisted around mentally. The Seattle scheme was perfect for him, and if I'm not mistaken he was heavier then.
They're both paradoxical players at their respective position. Brooks would be the ideal ILB, as it were, but I just get bugged at how many times he fails to finish off a sack. He gets a lot of pressure but sometimes he actually forces the qb to move in or out of the picket, which somehow a lot of times ends up buying the qb more time..
Different position but if we're talking better player at their position, in their prime.... JP no doubt. And that's no disrespect to Brooks. Throw Peterson into a defense with a supporting cast that we have now and he'll dominate.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

No, not true. Everybody had to scheme against Bryant, before the leg. He may not have been better than SMith, but he had similar impact.
Don't let me see no sucka badmouthing BY on this forum,
Share 49ersWebzone