There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Position group discussion: Defensive line

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:
I am curious to see what happens with Okoye, The 49ers did this once before... Carter? I don't remember the guys name but he had a hell of of career so its not out of the question that Okoye can contribute.

I think it will all come down to instincts.... Okoye will not have muscle memory from playing ball for the last 10 years before he is drafted....but if he has good instincts he might be able to contribute.

I hope he pans out.

Jeff Stover? Had no college football experience.
The fact he played rugby is huge- team sport, strategy, technique, skill, game planning, ball handling and basic fundamentals.

I would think he would be able to contribute immediately on special teams.
A few of those guys add value by playing multiple positions, as well as playing on the ST. Tuk and Dobbs made the 46 by playing FB, TE, ST etc.. Even Soap played a little OL. I doubt they keep a second FB and if someone can play a blocking TE, it will be tough to have a third TE active on game days.
Time for Dobbs and Tufuaku to move on. Sure they have been versatile end-of-bench guys for us for a couple years now, but that's all they're ever going to be. I really hope the 49ers stick Dial and Okoye on the team. Most upside by far behind the "lock" players.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
Jeff Stover? Had no college football experience.

Yeah it was Stover. He was a track guy at Oregon--threw the shot. He never played college football.

Carter also threw the shot, but he played defensive line for SMU Mustangs in college.

Short history on Stover.

"Stover finished in 3rd place in the NCAA shotput competition in 1979. In 1980, while attending the University of Oregon, he was named Pac-10 champion shot-putter. With record-breaking statistics, Stover made it to the 1980 Olympic trials. However, as a result of the 1980 Summer Olympics boycott by the United States (held that year in Moscow), he never had the opportunity to compete.

Stover had an extreme desire to play professional football, and earned a tryout with the San Francisco 49ers shortly after they won Super Bowl XVI. He was signed by the 49ers, but played sparingly during his first few seasons. In 1984, he was named the team's starting left end, but a knee injury during the first regular season match against the Detroit Lions caused him to miss several games. In 1985, he finally played a full, healthy season in a starting role, and registered 10 sacks. In 1986, in 15 games, he registered 11 sacks.

He is one of only seven 49ers defensive linemen (along with Dwaine Board, Charles Haley, Dana Stubblefield, Chris Doleman, Roy Barker, and Bryant Young) to register ten or more sacks more than once during their tenure with the team since the statistic started being recorded in 1982."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Stover
Originally posted by Ballistic:
pls stop

These are good organized threads. So hush.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
The fact he played rugby is huge- team sport, strategy, technique, skill, game planning, ball handling and basic fundamentals.

I would think he would be able to contribute immediately on special teams.

He also won't be a stranger to contact.

Can you imagine that guy running full speed down the field at you?
Again - Good post.

1). Please DON'T STOP! These are very good threads that encourage intelligent feedback.

2). Totally agree on Dobbs and Tuk - they were less than average IMO.

3). I'm hoping we struck gold w/Dorsey.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Ballistic:
pls stop

These are good organized threads. So hush.

Yeah I agree. These are good threads. If you don't like them just don't click on them!!! Keep 'em coming Karma
Stover was one of my favorite 49ers back in the day. Walsh was always interested in track and field guys or athletes. Renaldo Nehemiah is one that comes to mind who showed promise, but after he got leveled in a game was never the same. Michael Carter was a football player at SMU, and the only reason that he got drafted so late in the 5th round was that he wanted to play in the Olympics in 84 and he was going to miss training camp. This worked out well for Carter, he won a silver medal in the shotput and worked out well for the 49ers who got one of the best nose tackles that we have ever had.

One of my favorite stories about Stover is that he got a tryout with the 49ers. At 6 6 275 they had him run a 40 yard dash and the rumor is that he ran a 4.6. Stover later said it was the fastest he had ever run. The 49ers developed him over the years and he became a great player for us.

Going into the draft, I had a good feeling about the niners drafting Reid, Carradane (I didn't think we would get him in the 2nd round before the draft) Lattimore and thought that we would risk a 7th rounder on Okoye. So I was surprised that no other team took this guy with a 7th round pick and that we would be able to get him as a UDFA after the draft.

Okoye......6 6 305 pounds and ran a 4.75? HOLY CRAP. This guy is worth trying to develop and stick on the practice squad. If not, they cut him as a 3000 dollar investment with his signing bonus. Also people have been saying that we are going to have to keep him on the active roster. If he is signed by another team he has "the option" of going to the other team, but he can always remain with the 49ers. Do you go to Cleveland on the active roster or stay on the practice squad with the Niners and their great coaches? Hmmmmm.

Other defensive line guys to watch

Tank Carradane......he is lock to make the team. I can't wait to see him develop as a player. He has big shoes to fill if he is going to be replacing Justin Smith.

Lemonier......3rd round pick looked REALLY good on film, 6 3 255 with 4.6 speed and has good hips and can play in coverage. NICE. He makes the team for sure.

Fleming and Cam Johnson have an edge because they have been with the team for a year and know the scheme but one or both of these guys will probably be gone. I'm thinking Fleming will make it.

Ian Williams, I have liked this guy in spurts and they did give him a extension, I'm hoping he brings it. I'm thinking he will make the team.

Quinton Dial 5th round pick, he could be a nose tackle for us as well as a DE, he has good power. I'm thinking he will make the team.

Guys on the bubble.......

Will Tukafu and Demarcus Dobbs are similar players. They both learned TE to enhance their value. Both have shown flashes in the preseason. I really liked Dobbs when he bull rushes and we have an end around stunt. It will be interesting if they make the team. I think one of them is gone. I'm rooting for Dobbs to make it. But I think Tukafu has the advantage.

CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO BEGIN!!!!!
Stover was one of my favorite 49ers back in the day. Walsh was always interested in track and field guys or athletes. Renaldo Nehemiah is one that comes to mind who showed promise, but after he got leveled in a game was never the same. Michael Carter was a football player at SMU, and the only reason that he got drafted so late in the 5th round was that he wanted to play in the Olympics in 84 and he was going to miss training camp. This worked out well for Carter, he won a silver medal in the shotput and worked out well for the 49ers who got one of the best nose tackles that we have ever had.

One of my favorite stories about Stover is that he got a tryout with the 49ers. At 6 6 275 they had him run a 40 yard dash and the rumor is that he ran a 4.6. Stover later said it was the fastest he had ever run. The 49ers developed him over the years and he became a great player for us.

Going into the draft, I had a good feeling about the niners drafting Reid, Carradane (I didn't think we would get him in the 2nd round before the draft) Lattimore and thought that we would risk a 7th rounder on Okoye. So I was surprised that no other team took this guy with a 7th round pick and that we would be able to get him as a UDFA after the draft.

Okoye......6 6 305 pounds and ran a 4.75? HOLY CRAP. This guy is worth trying to develop and stick on the practice squad. If not, they cut him as a 3000 dollar investment with his signing bonus. Also people have been saying that we are going to have to keep him on the active roster. If he is signed by another team he has "the option" of going to the other team, but he can always remain with the 49ers. Do you go to Cleveland on the active roster or stay on the practice squad with the Niners and their great coaches? Hmmmmm.

Other defensive line guys to watch

Tank Carradane......he is lock to make the team. I can't wait to see him develop as a player. He has big shoes to fill if he is going to be replacing Justin Smith.

Lemonier......3rd round pick looked REALLY good on film, 6 3 255 with 4.6 speed and has good hips and can play in coverage. NICE. He makes the team for sure.

Fleming and Cam Johnson have an edge because they have been with the team for a year and know the scheme but one or both of these guys will probably be gone. I'm thinking Fleming will make it.

Ian Williams, I have liked this guy in spurts and they did give him a extension, I'm hoping he brings it. I'm thinking he will make the team.

Quinton Dial 5th round pick, he could be a nose tackle for us as well as a DE, he has good power. I'm thinking he will make the team.

Guys on the bubble.......

Will Tukafu and Demarcus Dobbs are similar players. They both learned TE to enhance their value. Both have shown flashes in the preseason. I really liked Dobbs when he bull rushes and we have an end around stunt. It will be interesting if they make the team. I think one of them is gone. I'm rooting for Dobbs to make it. But I think Tukafu has the advantage.

CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO BEGIN!!!!!
I dont understand the hate on Dobbs, he was the most valuable backup DL on the team since he did everything on ST. Im still hoping his preseason play translates to the regular season once he gets back healthy, we still havent had a good chance to evaluate his play over the course of a regular season at DE.

IMO the guys who should be worried about roster spots are Tuku and Jerod-Eddie. Carradine and Dial are both upgrades over those two and will hopefully push those two off the roster as they will be gunning for the same roles respectively.
Originally posted by 5280High:
I dont understand the hate on Dobbs, he was the most valuable backup DL on the team since he did everything on ST. Im still hoping his preseason play translates to the regular season once he gets back healthy, we still havent had a good chance to evaluate his play over the course of a regular season at DE.

IMO the guys who should be worried about roster spots are Tuku and Jerod-Eddie. Carradine and Dial are both upgrades over those two and will hopefully push those two off the roster as they will be gunning for the same roles respectively.

Okoye is going to take Dobbs's spot
  • buck
  • Veteran
read somewhere, I do not remember where, the Okoye chose the 49ers because of coach Tomsula who built himself a good reputation with his work over there.

My guess is that they (Harbaugh, Baalke, Tomsula, and Okoye), reached an agreement on a two-year training program that more than likely includes one year on the practice squad. In the off season, he would continue to work with Tomsula and participate in on-site weight training.

Well, that is my speculation, pure and unadulterated--but conceivable.
[ Edited by buck on May 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM ]
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by 5280High:

Okoye is going to take Dobbs's spot

He will not be on the roster, lezbehonest. He will be on the practice squad and decline all offers for a roster spot with another team because he CHOSE SF. He can't realistically expect to start anywhere in year 1 and there is no reason for him to leave for anything other than a starting gig. Until that happens he is safe on the PS, plus he's gotta accumulate good preseason film before any team would give him an offer, something our coaches directly control.