Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
wow, if CK goes down, we're dead.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Let's see how Colt McCoy looks in this offense before worrying too much. They did trade for him... which tells me Harbaugh probably wanted him on the team. That's enough for me to feel comfortable at this point.
Colt is Alex 2.0 but without the baggage of being the #1 pick here

He had expectations in Cleveland. He has already started a lot and will be the #2 absent a mercurial rise by one of the other guys

Tolzien will get a lot of reps in preseason to see where he is now after 2 years in the system

Harbs is not afraid to go with two rookie backups (two years ago) and now he has the luxury of a vet with experience. I think Colt will surprise with is ability to be a great #2

I doubt we'll hear "We want Colt, We want Colt" ala Carr unless they are referring to this
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

We have Montana, so we should be fine.
I'm looking forward to seeing Daniels under center in the run-option. He's explodes out of the pocket and is elusive in the open field. He's every bit the run threat that Kaepernick is, if not more dangerous. He looks a lot like Russell Wilson and will be beneficial in prepping for Seatle. What Daniels lack in arm talent, he more than compensates for with his running ability. He's more elusive in open space than most RBs.

I expect McCoy to beat out Tolzein and Daniels to get the nod as the #3 QB. The problem with Tolzein is that he doesn't fit the run-option/pistol offense like the other QBs on the roster. He complicates the playbook and changes the offensive philosophy when he plays.
The other thing working against Tolzein is that he was just a guy we signed after a solid preseason game. We needed some depth desperately and he was available. That was before we started running the pistol also.

With McCoy and Daniels, Harbaugh pursued them and spend draft picks on them.
Originally posted by strickac:
The other thing working against Tolzein is that he was just a guy we signed after a solid preseason game. We needed some depth desperately and he was available. That was before we started running the pistol also.

With McCoy and Daniels, Harbaugh pursued them and spend draft picks on them.

the niners had their eye on Tolzien since after that draft. Tolzien chose to sign with the Chargers because we had Alex Smith and just used a high draft pick on CK. He wasn't just "some guy".
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
I expect Tolzien will not be on the final roster. Keep in mind that in last years competition he was the cheaper option for the QB3 position, substantially cheaper then a league minimum contract for Josh johnson. Since this will be his third year his league minimum salary will be higher then last year and will be over a hundred k higher then Daniels. Keep in mind that this is a business and a few hundred k does count when looking at salaries and salary caps. Especially for a position you do not expect to use, If he cannot make the QB2 slot over McCoy he will probably be cut.
[ Edited by rdc1 on May 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM ]
Some weird Tolzien love in here. Tolzien vs McCoy battle?? Haha, no. McCoy was traded for to be the backup QB. Daniels was drafted to replace Tolzien. Bye Scotty.

I thought Daniels vs Gray was going to be an interesting battle initially, but it doesn't sound like they are considering Gray at QB. Daniels and Montana are the only ones throwing in camp right now, and Gray is working exclusively as a TE.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Some weird Tolzien love in here. Tolzien vs McCoy battle?? Haha, no. McCoy was traded for to be the backup QB. Daniels was drafted to replace Tolzien. Bye Scotty.

I thought Daniels vs Gray was going to be an interesting battle initially, but it doesn't sound like they are considering Gray at QB. Daniels and Montana are the only ones throwing in camp right now, and Gray is working exclusively as a TE.

I think you are on to something here. I doubt Tolz beats out McCoy for the #2 spot and we won't be keeping him as the #3 when we Daniels who offers much more utility, not to mention he would be a good look for our D when we are prepping for RW.

Remember two things-Colt is here cause he came cheap (in terms of a draft, not salary) and has playing experience, but he is here for only one more year. Tolz after this year will be a free agent of sorts. So might be wise to prep another player already.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Not sure how to compare B.J. Daniels and Scott Tolzien, but since they are quarterbacks, I looked at their college passing numbers.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

Games

B.J. Daniels 45
Scott Tolzien 29

Comp %

B.J. Daniels 57.0%
Scott Tolzien 66.6%

Yards/Attempt

B.J. Daniels 7.48
Scott Tolzien 10.27

TD

B.J. Daniels 52
Scott Tolzien 32

TD/Game

B.J. Daniels 1.16
Scott Tolzien 1.10

INT

B.J. Daniels 39
Scott Tolzien 18

INT/Game

B.J. Daniels 0.87
Scott Tolzien 0.62

edit: Here are the NFL numbers for Colt McCoy. These are not directly comparable to the Daniels's or Tolzien's numbers.

Colt McCoy

Games 24 Games Started 21

Comp % 58.3

21 TD TD/ Game 0.875

20 INT INT/Game 0.833

QB rating 74.8
[ Edited by buck on May 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
We gave the Browns a 5th and a 7th round pick. They gave us McCoy and a 6th round pick.

We picked up Scott Tolzien as an undrafted free agent after his was cut by the Chargers.

We drafted B.J. Daniels in the 7th round.

In my estimation, the price paid does not guarantee anyone of them a spot on the roster.

I do think there will be a real competition for the two back-up quarterback spots.
[ Edited by buck on May 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM ]
Tolz is gonna have to really step it up this preseason to stick on the roster.

CK won't keep running the ball as much, which is why it seems they are pushing for Daniels. It will allow the offense to continue with the read option without putting Kap at risk as often. Sub in Daniels for one of the RBs, line him up at QB and have Kap motion out wide while Daniels runs the read option. Lots of trickeration can be built off of that.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

I think you are on to something here. I doubt Tolz beats out McCoy for the #2 spot and we won't be keeping him as the #3 when we Daniels who offers much more utility, not to mention he would be a good look for our D when we are prepping for RW.

• Daniels offers options, Tolz and McCoy do not. Also a wonderful lifelike version of Russell Wilson for D practice.
  • We traded for McCoy, so that has to mean something
  • Tolzien odd man out? He has been lights-out in preseason. As a big Kap supporter, I thought Tolz looked better in preseason, than he. Real hard admisson.

If McCoy is better than Tolz, fine. But, he has always looked very impressive in the little I have seen him.
Share 49ersWebzone