LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 370 users in the forums

Position group discussion: Outside linebackers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Karma.
I feel much more comfortable with the depth of this unit. Last year this was probably the thinnest unit after the starters. Competition for back-up roles will be the focus of training camp.

Roster spots: 4-5

Locks: Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson

Competition: Corey Lemonier, Cam Johnson, Darius Lemonier, Lawrence Okoye?

Outlook: We know the starters are set. Haralson is the only other guy I consider a lock. He restructured his contract and offers a solid veteran option as a back-up. Haralson won't get as many sacks as the starters if he is pressed into duty, but he does get enough pressure to be more effective than most back-ups. after that Lemonier, Johnson and Fleming will fight it out for 2, but more likely one roster spot. Lemonier is my favorite of the bunch. I think he has the best mix of strength and speed for this position, but the other two have tons of potential. May the best man win. Okoye here is pretty much a joke, but imagine his size and speed coming at the QB from a standing rush...
I think Smith, Brooks, Haralson and Lemonier are locked in with Carradine taking some snaps for the OLB's in pass rush situations lined up as a DE.
Noob
This is the one position Fangio was screaming for help since last year. It proved prophetic. The guys they drafted got injured. Then Haralson got injured too. Then late in the year Aldon. We need any one of those guys that were drafted last year to step up. Coupled with the one that was drafted this year like Lemonier. Baalke got new toys for Fangio. I'm curious to what Fangio can do with these new guys.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Move Aldon to safety
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Niners got the best, nuff said...
Karma~

I think you mean Darius Fleming...when you listed the "competition"....and BTW, nice threads man.

Personally, I think that A Smith, Brooks, Haralson, and Lemonier are virtual locks.

Okoye is a D-lineman all the way....and he is so raw, there is no way he takes up a roster spot coming out of camp. He is a PS guy for certain...and that is fine for now.

Unless he just tears in up in pre-season, Cam Johnson probably ends up on the PS too because he still needs some development and he was hurt most of last year. The guy has potential though. Should be interesting to see how he and Fleming do in TC and in the practice games.

Fleming, IMHO, has a good chance to make the team because he put on 10 lbs. of muscle since he was drafted and can now play either inside or outside LB. Plus, with his speed and athleticism, he should be a nice addition to the STs. He also works really hard, loves the game of football, and is very competitive. In short, he has versatility...and long arms...and we all know how much Harbaugh and Baalke love those qualities.

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on May 9, 2013 at 11:26 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Karma:
I feel much more comfortable with the depth of this unit. Last year this was probably the thinnest unit after the starters. Competition for back-up roles will be the focus of training camp.

Roster spots: 4-5

Locks: Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson

Competition: Corey Lemonier, Cam Johnson, Darius Lemonier, Lawrence Okoye?

Outlook: We know the starters are set. Haralson is the only other guy I consider a lock. He restructured his contract and offers a solid veteran option as a back-up. Haralson won't get as many sacks as the starters if he is pressed into duty, but he does get enough pressure to be more effective than most back-ups. after that Lemonier, Johnson and Fleming will fight it out for 2, but more likely one roster spot. Lemonier is my favorite of the bunch. I think he has the best mix of strength and speed for this position, but the other two have tons of potential. May the best man win. Okoye here is pretty much a joke, but imagine his size and speed coming at the QB from a standing rush...

Okoye is not going to be an outside linebacker. He should be included in the defense end group discussion.

I think that Darius Flemming gets moved to inside linebacker, and become a solid back up with some pass rush skills.

I seriously doubt that they are going cut Lemonier unless he is an unmitigated disaster.
He would get plucked from the practice squad faster than a turkey on Thanksgiving.

I think that Lemonier should be considered a lock. I have us with three locks at outside linebacker: Smith, Brooks, and Lemonier.
There is going to be an major battle between Parys Haralson and Cam Johnson for the 4th spot.

Haralson should win that battle, but if that win is not decisive, the team might go with youth and potential--Cam Johnson.

The most likely loser, Cam Johnson, would go to the practice squad, if he is still eligible.

[ Edited by buck on May 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM ]
Darius Lemonier...who the fcuk is that?
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Darius Lemonier...who the fcuk is that?

With our schedule, Aldon is going to feast this year. He may even get Strahan's record though he should have had it last season.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Karma~

I think you mean Darius Fleming...when you listed the "competition"....and BTW, nice threads man.

Personally, I think that A Smith, Brooks, Haralson, and Lemonier are virtual locks.

Okoye is a D-lineman all the way....and he is so raw, there is no way he takes up a roster spot coming out of camp. He is a PS guy for certain...and that is fine for now.

Unless he just tears in up in pre-season, Cam Johnson probably ends up on the PS too because he still needs some development and he was hurt most of last year. The guy has potential though. Should be interesting to see how he and Fleming do in TC and in the practice games.

Fleming, IMHO, has a good chance to make the team because he put on 10 lbs. of muscle since he was drafted and can now play either inside or outside LB. Plus, with his speed and athleticism, he should be a nice addition to the STs. He also works really hard, loves the game of football, and is very competitive. In short, he has versatility...and long arms...and we all know how much Harbaugh and Baalke love those qualities.

Cheers!

Yeah, I must have been distracted when I typed his name! Fleming is definitely the most interesting linebacker in camp.

You're right about Okoye. I was just joking when I put him here. Thank you for enjoying the threads!
[ Edited by Karma on May 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM ]
there seems to be way more talent at olb than ilb this year. aldon, brooks and haralson have to be locks. lemonier is the front runner for the fourth spot, unless he's horrible in camp.

i wasn't sure whether johnson or fleming could slide inside, where there is only special team guys as back ups. on the other hand, both the guys are total unknowns from last year. whoever doesn't make is could be a stash on the ps.
Harlason is NOT a lock by any means...even after his restructure (which also states his value and has nothing to do with his injury). This team is shifting away from one-dimensional players to players that have the full skill set to replace starters some day. This is my 53:

OLB (4): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier and Cam Johnson - Parys Haralson and Darius Fleming are gone. Cam shows he can seal the edge well AND pass rush making Haralson expendable.

It could end up being Fleming that beats out Johnson as well but after a red-shirted first year, I have a feeling these two dudes are going to blow past Haralson and demonstrate a (potential) complete OLB skill-set that could truly provide less of a drop-off should Brooks/Aldon go down.
Share 49ersWebzone