Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
posted twice
[ Edited by LVJay on May 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Karma:
This position group has been the source of the most heated debates this off season. Some on this board wish the team had a smaller, quicker guy to cover slot receivers. Others want bigger, more physical corners to battle the larger receivers in this league. Whatever side you're on, the players currently on this roster are the players we will choose from at the end of camp.

Roster Spots: 5-6

Locks: Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver

Vets with something to prove: Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perish Cox

Special Team Hopefuls: Tramaine Brock, Marcus Cooper, Darryl Morris

Outlook: There are so many scenarios for this group that it will be difficult to predict the outcome. The struggles of the secondary at the end of the season last year are well documented and seem to point to a change coming, but many believe that the lack of a pass rush due to the injuries to Justin and Aldon were the real cause of the statistical drop off. Whatever the reason, one thing is clear. There is room for improvement. Brown and Gulliver appear to be the only locks. Brown was the most consistent performer throughout the season, but he is entering his contract year. The value placed on solid CBs in this league might price Brown out of the team's plans, so this position group will need to consider the future in its construction. Culliver is the best mix of achievement and potential on the team. He will be a starter either this year or next. Rogers is close to a lock but his play dipped dramatically last year and he was a liability against smaller, quicker slot receivers. That and his contract make him a potential candidate for being cut. The reality is that the younger options on this team don't have the e perience to realistically over take Rogers' roster spot. I see him making the team but fighting for playing time. Nnamdi is the biggest question mark. We know he is, or was, capable of being dominant and many think he has a chance to regain that level because he will be asked to do what he does best. Play man coverage with plenty of bump and run. That scheme change and his motivation to prove himself after his flop in Philly has me predicting a big year for him. I think we will see Nnamdi and Culliver covering the outside receivers while Brown slides in to the slot. Assuming that all four of those guys make the team, we are left with Cox and Brock fighting it out for the 5th spot. Cox offers more as a CB, but Brock was arguably the most consistent player on Special Teams last year and we know that ST is going to be a HUGE concern when evaluating these players. It may come down to the decision between a 6th CB or a 5th safety. I give the edge to safety because of the turnover we have already seen this off season.

I hope Morris is a quick learner and steps up big on the next level.

Gulliver is HUGE!
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
id really like to see Morris make the team and play some slot (he is the teams highest paid undrafted free agent) apparently they really wanted him but it will be tough for him to be out the vets with several years experience but i would love it if he did.

Agreed. I honestly think he has a good shot to make the team over brock or cox. He's faster then both, which we may need for harvin and austin, and is an amazing gunner in his highlight film. I really don't want him on the ps cuz I think he'd be one of the first to be taken by another team
I think we should blow this unit up after this up coming season .. Rogers aint worth 8+ mill Brown aint worth 6-8 mill he'll probably want or get whitener will be a FA N gone I hope ..we draft a CB in 1st N 3rd rounds N probably a S in tha 3rd or 4th round ...
I see Rogers still getting the nod to start on the outside. He's still a very good man cover guy when he has the sideline to work against. I think that will leave us with Rogers and Asomugha on the outside with Brown covering the slot.

Culliver has the potential to beat Asomugha for a starting spot. But I think he needs another year to become more consistent.

As for a 6th CB... it will come down to who our best 10 DBs are. Many of our CBs could play Safety in a pinch. So I think that frees us up to keep the best 10th DB. I have a hunch that this will be Daryl Morris. He is extremely fast and has great upside as a slot CB. Plus he could be a great special teamer right away.

I think that will give us the following depth chart:

RCB: Rogers, Brown, Brock
LCB: Asomugha, Culliver
slot: Brown, Morris

FS: Reid, Robinson
SS: Whitner, Spillman
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Yes, this is the weakest unit on the team.

None of the Niners CBs have the "swag" that is the hallmark of good CBs. IMO it almost counts for more than physical size. Culliver comes the closest but he cannot back it up yet. The fact that Brown is considered the strongest member of that unit, only highlights the team's weak position, because Brown is as timid as they come in his demeanor. I was hoping that the Niners would pick up Janorice Jenkins last season (small, but plenty of swagger) or even Mattieu this year (swagger). But probably they didn't pass the "character" test. Sometimes it almost seems that they go hand in hand, swagger = poor character. Lol!

Maybe Morris and Cooper will light a spark and Asomugha will rediscover his confidence.

No doubt the Niners will address this deficiency in next year's draft.

Why does a corner have to have "swag"??? For years Asomugha was considered to be the 2nd best corner in the NFL and i wouldn't associate him with a player that has a lot of swag. Neither would i with Revis but that is arguable. Does Champ Bailey have swag?

To me the signs of a good corner are the ones you never hear their name called unless they pick a ball off.

I'm just doing a poor job of describing "swag" as I mean it. These are somewhat subjective anyway. Some may describe it as the "it factor" or "passing the eye test".

The cornerback position by nature is somewhat reactive, however, by "swag" I mean to suggest a CB who is somewhat proactive. Someone who has the attitude that the ball, whenever it comes in his direction, is his, not the receivers. He has that confidence about his play. The great ones, for sure, had it. Revis? Yes, for sure, more than anyone who I've seen. Sure, Bailey too. Looking at Asomugha with the Raiders, he was the man.

Usually if you have one on a team, it influences the play of the others and can be infectious. The Rams have a couple: Jenkins and Finnegan. Peterson comes to mind with the Cardinals. We know about the Seahawks. I just don't see the Niners as having that guy; they don't seems composed or collected under pressure IMO.
Originally posted by LVJay:
This position group has been the source of the most heated debates this off season. Some on this board wish the team had a smaller, quicker guy to cover slot receivers. Others want bigger, more physical corners to battle the larger receivers in this league. Whatever side you're on, the players currently on this roster are the players we will choose from at the end of camp.

Outlook: There are so many scenarios for this group that it will be difficult to predict the outcome. The struggles of the secondary at the end of the season last year are well documented and seem to point to a change coming, but many believe that the lack of a pass rush due to the injuries to Justin and Aldon were the real cause of the statistical drop off. Whatever the reason, one thing is clear. There is room for improvement. Brown and Gulliver appear to be the only locks. Brown was the most consistent performer throughout the season, but he is entering his contract year. The value placed on solid CBs in this league might price Brown out of the team's plans, so this position group will need to consider the future in its construction. Culliver is the best mix of achievement and potential on the team. He will be a starter either this year or next. Rogers is close to a lock but his play dipped dramatically last year and he was a liability against smaller, quicker slot receivers. That and his contract make him a potential candidate for being cut. The reality is that the younger options on this team don't have the e perience to realistically over take Rogers' roster spot. I see him making the team but fighting for playing time. Nnamdi is the biggest question mark. We know he is, or was, capable of being dominant and many think he has a chance to regain that level because he will be asked to do what he does best. Play man coverage with plenty of bump and run. That scheme change and his motivation to prove himself after his flop in Philly has me predicting a big year for him. I think we will see Nnamdi and Culliver covering the outside receivers while Brown slides in to the slot. Assuming that all four of those guys make the team, we are left with Cox and Brock fighting it out for the 5th spot. Cox offers more as a CB, but Brock was arguably the most consistent player on Special Teams last year and we know that ST is going to be a HUGE concern when evaluating these players. It may come down to the decision between a 6th CB or a 5th safety. I give the edge to safety because of the turnover we have already seen this off season.

Gulliver is HUGE!

Stupid auto correct on my phone!!!
lowell rose tulsa cb....signed
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
lowell rose tulsa cb....signed

Any idea what his chances are?
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Rogers, Brown, Nnamdi, Culliver, Brock all make this team easily. Battle is just for the last spot.

cox>brock

rogers brown namdi culliver cox morris
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Gulliver is HUGE!

it's all good, bro, i'm just joshin with you

Gulliver is HUGE!

it's all good, bro, i'm just joshin with you

I like Gulliver (travels) better...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqALm_rmM1g

Donatell to Harbaugh, "Coach, Gulliver has to start against Boldin in the Superbowl."
Harbaugh, "He'll never make man-of-the-year! We're doomed!"
Gulliver upon gay perspectives, "It'll never work!"
[ Edited by NCommand on May 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM ]
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm hoping Marcus Cooper can make the squad , he has the size, speed and a higher ceiling than Brock or Cox ....it would be nice to have another 6-1 corner on the roster to match up with the bigger receivers to limit what pass happy OC's can throw at us ....

He has a huge experience gap to close. He definitely has the measurable, but Morris' game highlights are much more impressive. I think the two of them will be fighting for a spot on the practice squad with a chance to make the team next year after Brown, Brock, Cox, and Asomugha are free agents.

I'm hoping that we find a spot for Cooper as well. I've read some positive things about him at rookie camp. If he shows enough maybe we can stash him on the practice squad or with one of our final roster spots, let him get some seasoning, and let him make a run at a contributing position next year when Brown, Rogers, and Nnamdi are possibly going to be gone.

It seems like Baalke and co do a good job of identifying CBs. Hopefully, our little group will have some quality people on there to develop and Cooper, Rose, and Morris will be around for awhile and turn into some quality NFL level CBs.
Share 49ersWebzone