There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Aldon Smith NEED Justin Smith to succeed?

Does Aldon Smith NEED Justin Smith to succeed?

There's no question Justin opens up lanes for Aldon...you do that when you tie up two OL, as he usually does. Most successful pass rushers depend on the big guys up front to create space for them to operate. That said, as Aldon gets stronger hopefully he'll be able to create some of his own space, but to some degree he'll always need help, they all do.
Well, there are 5 offensive linemen, and if Aldon was all alone it would make things tougher for him, so yeah, he need Smith, and the rest of the D-line doing their jobs.Team Sport.
Again, these statistics should put this question to rest. Justin Smith is awesome. No question about it. But if Aldon Smith's numbers were all about Justin Smith, then we would have seen similar numbers from Lawson and Haralson.

Originally posted by buck:
This might be the last remaining vestiages of the ridiculous notion that Aldon Smith was a reach.

Before Aldon arrived who was getting all the sacks made possible by Justin Smith.

Justin Smith arrived in SF in 2008. Since his arrival five years ago, Justin has had 32 sacks. Look at the sacks by linebackers since Justin's arrival.

2012—Aldon Smith 19.5 sacks, Brooks 6.5 sacks, Bowman 2 sacks, Willis 0.5 sacks

2011—Aldon Smith 14 sacks, Brooks 7 sacks, Willis 2 sacks, Bowman 2 sacks, Haralson 2 sacks,

2010— Willis 6 sacks, Brooks 5 sacks, LaBoy 5 sacks, Haralson 4 sacks, Lawson 2.5 sacks,

2009—Lawson 6.5 sacks, Brooks 6 sacks, Takeo Spikes 4 sacks, Willis 4 sacks

2008-- Haralson 8 sacks, Lawson 3 sacks, Roderick Green 3.5 sacks, Willis 1 sack, Banta-Cain 0.5 sacks
No he doesn't. Last season toward the end of the season I could totally tell he was injured.
No he doesn't. Last season toward the end of the season I could totally tell he was injured.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
How come Parys Haralson never had 19.5 sacks lining up next to Justin Smith?
Aldon Smith would get at least 16 sacks anywhere. I remember calculating, presumably before the injury that he was on pace to have 25 sacks last season.. 25
[ Edited by bdub2588 on May 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM ]
Everyone seems to know the answer already. Good talk!
well when he retires we will know
Originally posted by kush:
Justin needs Aldon to succeed.

I might be more inclined to accept that.
Originally posted by vaden:
Not to succeed, but to appear so incredibly dominant, yes - so far. By year 3 or 4 I don't think he will.

agreed
He's not going to average 19.5 sacks a season, nobody does that. I think he was just hot and had some big games, teams didn't know what to do with the stunts they were running, but later in the season they kind of solved it. We should be hoping for around 12 or 13 sacks next year. That would be great. I hate seeing people say Aldon needs Justin and vice versa, this is a team, their different players with different roles. 19.5 sacks though speaks for itself, it's practically unheard of.
If Aldon continues to work on his game he will continue to be successful...with or without J Smith. J Smith does open doors for him with his one arm holding and sweeping annihilation of OLinemen, but Aldon can make sacks from either side whoever the linemen are. With Justin he can be a league leader, without would make it much harder to set records or be a top five sack guy.
No doubt that he has a huge impact on Aldon's game but I don't think he NEEDS him to succeed. Justin sure does make his job a lot easier though. That is a given though when you have an elite DE by your side it's going to elevate your game no matter who you are.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
He's not going to average 19.5 sacks a season, nobody does that. I think he was just hot and had some big games, teams didn't know what to do with the stunts they were running, but later in the season they kind of solved it. We should be hoping for around 12 or 13 sacks next year. That would be great. I hate seeing people say Aldon needs Justin and vice versa, this is a team, their different players with different roles. 19.5 sacks though speaks for itself, it's practically unheard of.

Teams where not baffled by the stunts. They where running simple ET stunts that have been used for years. Justin and aldon are just so dominant that they make opposing players look silly.
Yes, but I have a different take

The die has already been cast.

Justin was such a hard worker in the weight room and it is scary because he was already "country strong"

Justin's influence has already rubbed off on Ray McDonald, who is beasty in his own right. RJF went from a 7th round pick to doing the peanut butter jelly dance to being another fiend in the weight room. Soap already was He stopped at like 39 reps at the combine because he wanted to.

Tank and Dial will be the next DL to learn from from Justin. Just as will Glen Dorsey, who should finally blossom under Tomsula.

The more I read about Dial, the more I wonder how in the hell he fall that far.

If Okoye can actually put the "football" together with the athleticism, it will be scary I think he will because he played rugby. RUGBY people. That is football without pads or helmets or anything. Granted, in Rugby, they don't have those fancy "3 gap" or any of that kind of thing going on. He might fall for the occasional screen. Or not, I don't know. I think Okoye might struggle with "playbook" initially but he will be a beast. Justin's influence will rub off on him to.

Justin will mentor Dial, Tank, Dorsey, and Okoye. He will not be selfish with his knowledge. He WILL demand the same effort out of those guys that he puts in himself. We see guys like Dobbs, Tofuaku, and Williams become serviceable DL. Between Tomsula's coaching and Justin's mentoring and example, I think we will have a dominant line.

So, yes, Aldon needs Justin. But the ripples of the waves he has and will create again are more important than any particular 3rd and 7.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
well when he retires we will know

A definite lack of clarity. Who is he?

1. Well when Justin Smith retires we will know

2. well when Aldon Smith retires we will know

or maybe he should be they

3. well when they (Justin Smith and Aldon Smith) retire we will know