LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Does Aldon Smith NEED Justin Smith to succeed?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Aldon Smith NEED Justin Smith to succeed?

Originally posted by Jcool:
No.

/Thread

Although I hate the stupid "/thread" comments, in this case it's pretty much true. Watch Aldon enough and you'll see him abusing Tackles from the opposite side of Justin. He can do it on his own. Its not just the stunts he and Justin do. At the end of the season, Aldon himself was injured. That obviously impacted his sack total.
Having Justin at the end allows Aldon to be much better. Having Aldon on the edge allows Justin to be much better. The two of them are pro bowl caliber players, among the best at their positions...if not the best. But to deny they help each other immensely...not logical! The 9ers desperately need back ups who help keep the level up when one or both are injured. If Justin and Aldon hadn't been injured for the Super Bowl...ahhh...

Edit--I would have to know what "success" means. Does it mean to win the Super Bowl? Or...? Team sport that wouldn't make sense. Aldon was successful with a healthy Dobbs in preseason...that doesn't matter either. If the question implies Aldon's success is due only to Justin? No way, he's a great player.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 9, 2013 at 7:26 AM ]
Justin needs Aldon to succeed.
Go back and watch Aldon's play in the play offs. You can see he was obviously playing with great pain. There were times his arm was just "hanging" after a play. How dominant is a guy who can still be better then the average player at his position while playing with only one arm.
Justin Smith is surely an added element to Aldon's game. But, if Aldon is healthy and continues to develop, he will be a beast on his own. He is going to have to get used to the double teams though and find a way through them. Hopefully the rest of the boys in the front 7 step up their passrush so that it takes some of the protection off of Aldon. I'm excited to see how it all works out.
[ Edited by daragon on May 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM ]
What ! two guys with one arm a piece doesnt equal out to insane production?

How could this be?
Originally posted by daragon:
Justin Smith is surely an added element to Aldon's game. But, if Aldon is healthy and continues to develop, he will be a beast on his own. He is going to have to get used to the double teams though and find a way through them. Hopefully the rest of the boys in the front 7 step up their passrush so that it takes some of the protection off of Aldon. I'm excited to see how it all works out.

This is pretty much it. It's funny how nobody opines Justin Smith's production dropped because Aldon Smith was hurt. They are both top caliber players.
[ Edited by USArmyParatrooper on May 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
Originally posted by daragon:

This is pretty much it. It's funny how nobody opines Justin Smith's production dropped because Aldon Smith was hurt. They are both top caliber players.
then you throw in that brooks was hobbled as well so its no wonder the team went heavy on picks for the d line and linebacker area
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I'm going to say something different. He and Justin, to maintain consistently their level of excellence, need depth on the DL.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Having Justin at the end allows Aldon to be much better. Having Aldon on the edge allows Justin to be much better. The two of them are pro bowl caliber players, among the best at their positions...if not the best. But to deny they help each other immensely...not logical! The 9ers desperately need back ups who help keep the level up when one or both are injured. If Justin and Aldon hadn't been injured for the Super Bowl...ahhh...

Edit--I would have to know what "success" means. Does it mean to win the Super Bowl? Or...? Team sport that wouldn't make sense. Aldon was successful with a healthy Dobbs in preseason...that doesn't matter either. If the question implies Aldon's success is due only to Justin? No way, he's a great player.
Welp, I thought I was being original.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fropwns:
I'm going to say something different. He and Justin, to maintain consistently their level of excellence, need depth on the DL.

yes. much more of a need for us in my opinion than cornerback in the draft
Aldon (just like any other 3-4 OLB) needs a player next to him that requires a double team block or else he will be taking on the double team.

Last year we didn't have that once Justin got hurt, but this year it is looking like we have a few guys that may require a double team (Tank & Dorsey), so our LBer's should be able to do thier thing again.

Remember Justin Smith's injury also had an affect on Willis & Bowman as well. With him out of the game it changed the way O-lines had to block our entire front 7.
Yes..

Originally posted by kush:
Justin needs Aldon to succeed.

ya, because justin was a bum before aldon got drafted

and yes aldon needs justin to succeed. if you play a 3-4 defense, your defensive line better be solid, otherwise your LBs wont get close to the QB all game.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
ya, because justin was a bum before aldon got drafted

and yes aldon needs justin to succeed. if you play a 3-4 defense, your defensive line better be solid, otherwise your LBs wont get close to the QB all game.

The Niners only run a 3 - 4 about a third of the plays. Joe Staley was asked who the toughest player is to guard against, and he named Aldon Smith during practices.
Share 49ersWebzone