There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NAMED: Levi's® Stadium thread

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
I think it is the perfect sponsor for the niners. Levis were worn by the first niners so you cant ask for a better sponsor

LOL...no they weren't, people need to stop with that goofy nonsense.

Gold rush was from late 1840's to mid 1850's...........Levi Strauss opened up shop in 1873.


Having grown up in Tiburon, for some reason they seemed to really want to make sure we were on point with all of our Gold Rush stuff. Took regular field trips to Angels Camp, Sutters Mill....Placerville..Downieville...etc. That's the s**t you can do when you go to public school in a town where the propety taxes collected are higher than the GDP's of some small nations.
It's not goofy.

You are wrong, Levi Strauss moved out to San Francisco and opened up his dry goods shop in 1853, among the things he started selling were pants made of canvas(which he later switched to denim) Although the company as it exists today began in 1873, the year he patented the riveting process.
Originally posted by Rodinxxv:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
I think it is the perfect sponsor for the niners. Levis were worn by the first niners so you cant ask for a better sponsor

LOL...no they weren't, people need to stop with that goofy nonsense.

Gold rush was from late 1840's to mid 1850's...........Levi Strauss opened up shop in 1873.


Having grown up in Tiburon, for some reason they seemed to really want to make sure we were on point with all of our Gold Rush stuff. Took regular field trips to Angels Camp, Sutters Mill....Placerville..Downieville...etc. That's the s**t you can do when you go to public school in a town where the propety taxes collected are higher than the GDP's of some small nations.
It's not goofy.

You are wrong, Levi Strauss moved out to San Francisco and opened up his dry goods shop in 1853, among the things he started selling were pants made of canvas(which he later switched to denim) Although the company as it exists today began in 1873, the year he patented the riveting process.

Hey Rod, your dates are skewed. Events of the California Gold Rush...

1848: James Marshall discovers gold at Sutter's sawmill.
1849: Gold Rush starts to attract people from around the world.
1850: California becomes a state.
1852: Gold becomes more scarce, development of better mining techniques
1853: Population of California exceeds 300,000. Levi Strauss opens store to accommodate the working man (Miners).
1855: Sacramento becomes the California State Capital
1859: Discovery of silver in Nevada in 1858 ends the California Gold Rush



Levi Strauss (1829-1902) was a Bavarian immigrant who, during the California Gold Rush, went into business as a dry goods wholesaler on San Francisco's Market Street. In 1853, Strauss began making durable trousers for miners from heavy brown cloth. His firm later switched materials and created the first denim blue jeans in 1873, catering to working men who needed tough garments that would withstand hard manual labor (the company's slogan in 1900 was "For Men Who Toil"). Levi Strauss & Co. has since become the world's largest pants manufacturer.


Links are for the lazy, google it yourself... Should have stayed awake in history class dude.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Hey Rod, your dates are skewed. Events of the California Gold Rush...

1848: James Marshall discovers gold at Sutter's sawmill.
1849: Gold Rush starts to attract people from around the world.
1850: California becomes a state.
1852: Gold becomes more scarce, development of better mining techniques
1853: Population of California exceeds 300,000. Levi Strauss opens store to accommodate the working man (Miners).
1855: Sacramento becomes the California State Capital
1859: Discovery of silver in Nevada in 1858 ends the California Gold Rush



Levi Strauss (1829-1902) was a Bavarian immigrant who, during the California Gold Rush, went into business as a dry goods wholesaler on San Francisco's Market Street. In 1853, Strauss began making durable trousers for miners from heavy brown cloth. His firm later switched materials and created the first denim blue jeans in 1873, catering to working men who needed tough garments that would withstand hard manual labor (the company's slogan in 1900 was "For Men Who Toil"). Levi Strauss & Co. has since become the world's largest pants manufacturer.


Links are for the lazy, google it yourself... Should have stayed awake in history class dude.

You are correct, of course. I think we can all agreed that whether the actual invention of denim jeans and the gold rush were coincident in time or not, the fact remains that the gold rush provided the market for Strauss to set up shop in SF. The fundamental point that the name of the team and stadium sponsor share a piece of 150 year old history (give or take) is still valid, and makes for a fun story.
I'm going to buy some Levi stuff now.
Originally posted by Fincham11:
I'm going to buy some Levi stuff now.
Wow. This advertising s**t does work..
  • dugo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,047
Originally posted by Wodwo:
PANTS PARK!

  • dugo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,047
Ive tried looking through the other Stadium thread before ,but didn't see anything ,,Does anyone know or has it been talk about,,just how loud Levi's stadium can get? Its a pretty open design,,I hope we become just as distracting as other new stadiums to the visiting teams...
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Arrowhead
Bank of America
Century link
Cowboys stadium
Edward jones dome
Ever bank
Fedex
First energy
Ford
Georgia dome
Gillette
Heinz
Hubert h Humphrey
Lambeau
Lincoln financial
LP
Lucas Oil
M&T Bank
Mercedes-Benz
MetLife
O.co
Paul Brown
Qualcomm
Ralph Wilson
Raymond James
Reliant
Soldier Field
Sports Authority
Sun Life
University of Phoenix

I'd say only Arrowhead, Lambeau & Soldier Field have better names than us. Candlestick is #1 but that's now over with

candlestick is a stupid name if you think about it


Exactly.

If no one ever heard the name "Candlestick", and then the stadium was named "Candlestick" stadium, people would be screaming about how gay it sounds.
Levi stadium is actually really cool if you compare it to most of the others like Darko said.

"Arrowhead" and "Soldier Field" are the only ones that sound cooler than ours in all honesty. "Lambeau" only sounds cool because you've heard it before. Pretty lame if you had never heard it before though.

I mean look at some of these:
Dorky: Lincoln financial, Heinz, Hubert H Humphrey
Lame: Sports Authority, University of Phoenix, M&T Bank
Boring: MetLife, Paul Brown, Sun Life, Bank of America

Reliant -- OK.
Ford -- OK.
Century Link -- OK.

Levi -- Not bad. Not "Arrowhead" or "Soldier Field", but not bad.
*** I really hope they call it "Levi" and not "Levi's".

Another bonus is that Levi isn't likely to get purchased anytime soon so we won't have a revolving door of names.

It's Levi's. Levi is a person's name. Levi's is a jeans company.

Actually Levi Strauss is the name of the company, not Levi's Strauss.

But it's not Levi Strauss Stadium. It's Levi's Stadium.

...and I was refering to the company not being purchased anytime soon, not the brand name.
The House that Strauss Named
I guess the 501 isn't bad for a nickname
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I guess the 501 isn't bad for a nickname

Hell this should be the name of the field.

"Hello everybody, Al Michaels here and welcome to '501' park in beautiful Santa Clara, California."

I like it!
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I guess the 501 isn't bad for a nickname

Hell this should be the name of the field.

"Hello everybody, Al Michaels here and welcome to '501' park in beautiful Santa Clara, California."

I like it!


I agree. 501 is the most iconic Levi's model. 501 Field, 501 Park would have been fine with me.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,505
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I guess the 501 isn't bad for a nickname

Hell this should be the name of the field.

"Hello everybody, Al Michaels here and welcome to '501' park in beautiful Santa Clara, California."

I like it!

The 501 off 101.


Why is you complaining ....

BTW, I'm for renaming it 'The Stitch' as someone mentioned
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM ]