LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

49ers sign G Adam Synder (2 year deal)...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:
I thought Snyder was solid at RG in 2011?

Such strong opinions over a bench G. He knows the system, he has chemistry with the line, he was probably dirt cheap, and he wasnt bad as a starter in 2011. You could do worse on your bench at G.

Snyder was serviceable in 2011. Definitely better than Rachal, but still a weak link on the line. I agree you could do a lot worse than him. He's valuable as a reserve.

Boone was such a massive upgrade. He doesn't get bull rushed into the QB's face, fantastic in pass pro, mauler in the run game, and really excels as a pulling guard.

There is a reason why Anthony Davis broke out this year. His buddy at RG wasn't a liability.
The truth is... Snyder is far more valuable for the 46-man roster than he is for the 53-man roster. His signing could potentially allow us to carry an extra special team guy on game day.
For in-game injuries, I could accept him coming in for a few snaps and letting Boone stay at guard. It's probably better that the late rounder and the UDFA tackles stay on the PS this year.
For any long term injuries of one of our tackles, I'm sure Boone would switch out and either Looney or Kilgore would take over at RG.
If he out plays whoever then who really cares? There are plenty of snaps during training camp for everybody.
I'm glad about this signing. It adds veteran depth. THe 49ers line just got that much bigger and meaner.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Maybe we can get Alex Smith back next year!
Man I hope he never gets on the field.
My god...I have never seen so much crying over a back up lineman. He represents good depth, thats all. He can play any position on the line in a pinch and wont take any effort to get up an running. Thats all. He might not even be first off the bench if someone were to get hurt. You have to have at least one veteran back up...they cant all be kids with no game experience.
He was a road grader on run plays, but a liability in pass protection.With his veterans salary I don't see him making the final 53, unless Loony and Kilgore really suck. He might also make the team as a back-up if Kilgore looks great at center, then we can cut Goodwin's vet salary. Snyder can back-up at all spots on the line.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on May 7, 2013 at 7:07 AM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
He was a road grader on run plays, but a liability in pass protection.With his veterans salary I don't see him making the final 53, unless Loony and Kilgore really suck. He might also make the team as a back-up if Kilgore looks great at center, then we can cut Goodwin's vet salary. Snyder can back-up at all spots on the line.

.....apart from tackle. He was awful at tackle.
Playing offensive line, especially on the interior, is dramatically affected by the chemistry and comfort you have with the guys on either side of you. I think Snyder and the 49ers know he's more valuable to them than he is anywhere else for that reason alone. Plus there's no worry about affecting locker room dynamics with a guy who's been there before. I'm sure they won't have to pay him much because he's still got all that guaranteed money from the Cardinals, somewhat similar to how Nnamdi came over on an easy contract with all that Eagles' money in his pocket.

I think it's a great pickup simply because he was there for the taking. The fact he got a two year deal tells me that Harbaugh/Baalke feel strong enough in his remaining ability to lock him up for a little bit while the younger guys (who aren't already starting that is) get ready for primetime.

The oldest camp fodder ever, surprised it's a 2-yr deal though. I'd rather give one of our younger guys a chance at a backup role.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
The oldest camp fodder ever, surprised it's a 2-yr deal though. I'd rather give one of our younger guys a chance at a backup role.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if these guys even know what their doing running this team...
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

.....apart from tackle. He was awful at tackle.

Yeah, more likely just insurance, but if Kilgore works out at center, we may see Goodwin walk in june.
Not a big fan of bringing subpar talent back - it just gives the coaches an excuse to not push the new talent to develop as fast. BUT, this coaching staff has shown a real knack and commitment to developing the young talent, so at least I'd believe their judgment on this one - as compared to Nolan and Sing's horrible plans for talent.

Agree - this might spell the end of Goodwin. It enables the staff to take a chance on letting young guy play and if he struggles you have veteran experience as bench depth.
dam this is a sign that the Cards leadership is much better than the previous regime...decent back up
Share 49ersWebzone