There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Players that will surprise us this year

Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Mike, nobody's going to get rid of a six foot tall corner who runs a 4.4 because he says the wrong thing now and then. They'll work with him. And, if you've got a guy with those physical talents who can't find the ball in the air, you coach him up on how to find the ball in the air. So, I'm really not sure why you think he's going to regress. How does that work?

I don't remember Culliver throwing teammates under the bus. That sounds like BS. He is a good tall corner, he just needs to know when to look back for the ball. He is usually right in his guy. The coaches can work on that with him. He will return with a vengeance!

I'm still not sure what's wrong with "btches and hoes."

GNielson, I think it boils down to it being my opinion. Based on your theory every 6 ft, 4.4 running cb, can be coached up. I disagree. I hope he turns out to be a solid #2 cb for us, but I'm not holding my breath.
Jenkins, Hunter, Reid, and McDonald
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ballistic:
alex smith

get the clip of him pounding the beach at the end saying GOD DAMN IT ALL TO HELL and you got my reaction when the coaches refused to run it on second and goal from the 5
Originally posted by 49erMike:
GNielson, I think it boils down to it being my opinion. Based on your theory every 6 ft, 4.4 running cb, can be coached up. I disagree. I hope he turns out to be a solid #2 cb for us, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mike, it's not just his physical numbers. I'm just going by his play last year. His stunningly bad performance in the Super Bowl really overshadowed what was a very good season-long performance as corner that only started to break down towards the end. Up until week 16, Pro Football Focus had him rated at +9.5 which was close to the top of all corners. Here's what PFF wrote about him before he collapsed:

"Still, it's not all bad. While some guys disappointed, others impressed, and none more so than the 49ers' left cornerback in their nickel package, Chris Culliver. He gave up a first down or touchdown on only 3.45% of his snaps in coverage, a staggeringly low amount when you consider that the next lowest score is that of Leon Hall, with 3.75%."

Look, I think he's a knucklehead and I think he completely fell apart at the end of the season and in the post season. But, I think his performance up to that point for the vast majority of the season was real good. In fact, it was so good that if he can just learn to find the ball in the air, he could become a corner who is considered elite. I don't really care about his opinions. As long as he's not a violent criminal, I think he has the right to be an a-hole. And, he does seem to show some contrition over his offensive comments about gay people. But, as far as being a corner for the Niners in the NFL, it's WAY too early to write him off. He's still getting better. And, I think playing the nickle corner all season long probably wore him down. From what I understand about the Niners coaching staff, that probably won't happen again. He's very fast, very quick, hits hard and has shown the ability to stay close with very fast receivers. I don't think he's reached his potential yet. In fact, my guess is that they'll work on that problem he has finding the ball in the off season and he'll end up playing as one of the league's best corners this next season.
Ricardo Lockette- He's gonna make da 53 man roster n possibly becomes da deep threat dat we've been looking for for years.

AJ Jenkins- He's going to show us this year why Harbaalke drafted him in da 1st rd last year..BELIEVE!

Quinton Patton- This kid is da real deal

Darryl Morris- He's taking either brock's/cox's spot on da 53 man roster...book it.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Ricardo Lockette- He's gonna make da 53 man roster n possibly becomes da deep threat dat we've been looking for for years.

AJ Jenkins- He's going to show us this year why Harbaalke drafted him in da 1st rd last year..BELIEVE!

Darryl Morris- He's taking either brock's/cox's spot on da 53 man roster...book it.

You're rapidly running out of WR spots. Cratbree, Boldin, Patton, Jenkins, and Lockette are all the real deal according to you. Five WRs and two TEs aren't going to put up productive numbers. And Williams and Manningham are both putting up goose eggs in your scenario.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
My surprises.

Ahmad Brooks - I believe he will get back to sack form, and rack them up, looking at 5-8 sacks from him, maybe more. Brooks is a good OLB, and this talk of redo or cut is bs, he has earned his stay.

AJ Jenkins and Quinton Patton - I hope both make the active 47 man over Williams. I want more dynamic play, and I think AJJ and Quinton will give us that.

LMJ - I think on returns he will be explosive.

Tank - I feel he will come in, learn under Justin, and contribute in spelling for Justin and even Ray Mac.

Reid - He fits in to the FS spot, and is a rookie of the year candidate.

Others worth noting.

Hunter - Comes back to full strength as #2 back.

Alex Boone - Continues dominance at RG.

Kilgore - Settles in as swing Tackle/Guard/Center, he has worked at LT and RT according to his 49ers.com video, so I see him as swing tackle untll he takes over at Center, or Looney does, who could also become the swing tackle, and Kilgore takes Goodwin's job, and we cut or trade Goodwin for a late round pick.

Vance McDonald - He comes in and is perfect fit, learns better hand catching, and is our Delanie 2.0.

Ian and Dorsey - Both show why Sopoaga and RJF were expendable. Show great play, and versatility.
Pretty sure the Niners are thinking that both Kilgore and Looney are C/G type of guys, with newly acquired Marquardt and Bykowski competing for the swing T gig with Netter.
I think you are correct though, in your take that either Kilgore or Looney could win the center gig outright and then the team could let Goodwin go and get some more cap space.

Cheers!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Agreed with the OP with Carlos Rogers.

I think with added pieces to the secondary and added pass rush Rogers will be much better than what he was last year. I also think he would be much better if Fangio would stop moving him inside to cover the slot receiver, don't know why he doesn't move Brown there?

You and me both Kolohe... Rogers was terrific on the edge in 2011 and when they moved him inside in 2012 he struggled because he simply isn't quick enough, after so many years in the league, to cover those waterbug type guys....and that is no knock on him. That is more a knock on the coaching staff for not putting him in a position to succeed. )Of course, he did do a spectacular job on Wes Welker)...

I'm hoping the Niners try Brown inside this year too....although he did a very nice job on the edge in 2012.

I'm open to suggestions here guys....

Cheers!
Kaep and Defense will dominate. You can tell how hurt Kaep and the D were after losing the Super. The 49ers are a hungry bunch. A great D with an offense to score. How can they lose?
LMJ. James is gonna break out this year with some long plays.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
The Adam Snyder signing makes me think they don't have as much confidence in Looney and Kilgore as I was suspecting.

I think they brought him back because they usually only have 7 OL dress for game days and Adam plays all line positions and is better OT then Kilgore or Looney will be. Kilgorie is a favorite of Solari and will get first crack at center job next year. Looney is a favorite of Harbaugh so it is not an indication of how they feel about these two but rather bringing in competition. Also the only OL drafted or signed after the draft were both OT.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Ian Williams has a shot to be this year Alex Boone.

Hopefully someone surprises at the returner position, some like Lamichael, Hunter but I'm not so sure we found that guy yet.

Eric Reid needs to silence his critics and play well.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

You're rapidly running out of WR spots. Cratbree, Boldin, Patton, Jenkins, and Lockette are all the real deal according to you. Five WRs and two TEs aren't going to put up productive numbers. And Williams and Manningham are both putting up goose eggs in your scenario.

BINGO!!!!! Exactly my point, u read my mind there Lieutenant. Williams and Manningham are both going to put up goose eggs in my scenario. Manningham will open the season on the PUP list n when he's fully recovered its going to take time for him to get back into playing shape so who knows. Although K.Williams is a good slot WR, I think he's going to be the odd man out and get cut, Jenkins or Patton will take over the slot duties this year IMHO. Lockette has been working with Kaep since a week after SB and basically spending a lot of time studying the playbook together with Kaep and creating CHEMISTRY with him. With that, I believe Kaep is going to give him a lot, I mean a lot of opportunities in TC to showcase his skills and what they been working on during their training, so yes I think he is going to make the team, and you're exactly right on point with my WR depth... Crabtree, Boldin, Jenkins, Patton, Lockette we kept 5 wr and 3 TEs last season and we did fine so why not do it again.
Either Lockette or Patton or both surpass Jenkins and perform great on the field.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by 49erMike:

Mike, it's not just his physical numbers. I'm just going by his play last year. His stunningly bad performance in the Super Bowl really overshadowed what was a very good season-long performance as corner that only started to break down towards the end. Up until week 16, Pro Football Focus had him rated at +9.5 which was close to the top of all corners. Here's what PFF wrote about him before he collapsed:

"Still, it's not all bad. While some guys disappointed, others impressed, and none more so than the 49ers' left cornerback in their nickel package, Chris Culliver. He gave up a first down or touchdown on only 3.45% of his snaps in coverage, a staggeringly low amount when you consider that the next lowest score is that of Leon Hall, with 3.75%."

Look, I think he's a knucklehead and I think he completely fell apart at the end of the season and in the post season. But, I think his performance up to that point for the vast majority of the season was real good. In fact, it was so good that if he can just learn to find the ball in the air, he could become a corner who is considered elite. I don't really care about his opinions. As long as he's not a violent criminal, I think he has the right to be an a-hole. And, he does seem to show some contrition over his offensive comments about gay people. But, as far as being a corner for the Niners in the NFL, it's WAY too early to write him off. He's still getting better. And, I think playing the nickle corner all season long probably wore him down. From what I understand about the Niners coaching staff, that probably won't happen again. He's very fast, very quick, hits hard and has shown the ability to stay close with very fast receivers. I don't think he's reached his potential yet. In fact, my guess is that they'll work on that problem he has finding the ball in the off season and he'll end up playing as one of the league's best corners this next season.

I can agree with that. Here's to Culliver proving me wrong and helping the 49ers to #6.