There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Players that will surprise us this year

Originally posted by valrod33:
Aj Jenkins

No where to go but up, I suppose. I think he's a lock to make the team this year, regardless. If he bombs this year, then next year he's out.
Originally posted by 49erMike: I constantly read how Culliver will "only get better". What makes WZers so sure about this? What exactly has Culliver done from yr 1 to yr 2 that shows he will be better? I believe Culliver will regress and may already be close to his max potential. The guy just doesn't have proper CB ball skills.
Originally posted by 49erMike:
I remember that PFF article. What I saw was Culliver making some decent plays during the first half of the season and then falling completely apart. He's extremely immature and willing throw teammates under the bus. I will go out on a limb and say his mouth and attitude will get him in more trouble.

You question others opinions about him getting better and then say he will regress based on what?

When did he throw other teammates under the bus?
Assomugha and Dorsey. Both, IMO, will have BIG chips on their shoulders and a 'kick-ass" attitude to prove all their critics wrong.
Mike, nobody's going to get rid of a six foot tall corner who runs a 4.4 because he says the wrong thing now and then. They'll work with him. And, if you've got a guy with those physical talents who can't find the ball in the air, you coach him up on how to find the ball in the air. So, I'm really not sure why you think he's going to regress. How does that work?
Hey 49erMike - for my info, when and which teammate did Culliver throw under the bus?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Hey 49erMike - for my info, when and which teammate did Culliver throw under the bus?

He may be thinking about after the Super Bowl. There was some question about whether or not Whitner was supposed to provide over the top help to Culliver on one of the Ravens' touchdowns. I don't think Culliver threw anyone under the bus in that discussion, but that could be what he's thinking. Whitner's responsibility on that play was evidently to cover Boldin on top and there was problem with communication.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Looney/Kilgore - Looks like they will start to define themselves as clear backups and may even push our starting center off the field.

This was my vote.
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
I constantly read how Culliver will "only get better". What makes WZers so sure about this? What exactly has Culliver done from yr 1 to yr 2 that shows he will be better? I believe Culliver will regress and may already be close to his max potential. The guy just doesn't have proper CB ball skills.

Outside of the Superbowl (his worst game of his career) where did he give up a big play. i understand it was in the biggest game of the season and he ran his mouth at the wrong time.

GB he won it for us with the knockdown at the end.
i dont recall him getting destroyed anytime during the season.

is he going to turn into Deion? no...but he'll be a solid #2 for the next 5 years i think.

I can't remember which games, but I remember him face guarding A LOT. The SB definitely wasn't his only bad game. I believe he can be a solid corner, but nothing close to elite.

no one thinks he'll be elite. but if he can lock down the #2 spot for the next few years i think everyone would be happy with that result.
Ian Williams- He will prove why NT wasn't a big draft need after all. Dorsey and Williams will do everything Sopoaga and RJF did. With Tank in the fold as well our D-line rotation will be better despite losing a starter and #1 backup.

Tramaine Brock- One of the 'zones favorite whipping boys will show improvement this year, pushing for a spot on the final 53.

AJ Jenkins- May not ever prove his worthiness as a first round pick but will prove that he's certainly not a Rashaun Woods level bust.
All I know is that we are going to get the most out of all of these guys. There is so much damn competition on this team it's not even funny. We are the best team in football and add on to that that a lot of these guys will be playing their hearts out to cement their spot on the depth chart and you have a scary combination. We're going to take the league by storm and f**k everyone up! Can't wait to f**k up Seattle.
My surprises.

Ahmad Brooks - I believe he will get back to sack form, and rack them up, looking at 5-8 sacks from him, maybe more. Brooks is a good OLB, and this talk of redo or cut is bs, he has earned his stay.

AJ Jenkins and Quinton Patton - I hope both make the active 47 man over Williams. I want more dynamic play, and I think AJJ and Quinton will give us that.

LMJ - I think on returns he will be explosive.

Tank - I feel he will come in, learn under Justin, and contribute in spelling for Justin and even Ray Mac.

Reid - He fits in to the FS spot, and is a rookie of the year candidate.

Others worth noting.

Hunter - Comes back to full strength as #2 back.

Alex Boone - Continues dominance at RG.

Kilgore - Settles in as swing Tackle/Guard/Center, he has worked at LT and RT according to his 49ers.com video, so I see him as swing tackle untll he takes over at Center, or Looney does, who could also become the swing tackle, and Kilgore takes Goodwin's job, and we cut or trade goodwin for a late round pick.

Vance McDonald - He comes in and is perfect fit, learns better hand catching, and is our Delanie 2.0.

Ian and Dorsey - Both show why Sopoaga and RJF were expendable. Show great play, and versatility.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on May 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]
Nate Montana
Vance McDonald
Quinton Patton
Ricardo Lockette
Jewel Hampton
If Boone continues to dominate at RG, he may potentially end up being a franchise LT in a few years. He has prototypical LT size and the fact that he was able to step into a new position and play so well speaks volumes about the talent this guy has.

(i wont even begin to speculate about what may happen down the line, but guards make less money and earn less prestige than LTs)
Parys Haralson
Quinton Patton = rookie of the year.