LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

MarQueis Gray

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Could he be a FB? Maybe not, probably too tall but you put him in the backfield and the possibilities are endless!!

That's my thought and hope. I wanted the Harvard guy as a jack of all trades type fb/te/h-back..But maybe we have the guy here. I may have missed on the guy, but not on the role..
replace tolzien and celek with gray
He is a ps player at best. People do this every year and drink draft and highlight combine kool aid and somehow see every pick up as making the 53 man roster. This guy is not even likely to make the ps imo. Probably a camp body and cut. But he has some tools and if he is lucky with injuries and works his tale off maybe PS.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/multi-talented-marqueis-gray-part-of-49ers-post-draft-haul.html
I actually think the 49ers might be higher on Gray and Marquardt than they are on Daniels and Bykowski. It's pretty much just speculation on my part, but that's my read on the situation. I think they drafted the two players they felt less confident in their ability to lock up to UDFA contracts. They pursued the strategy most likely to yield all four players.

The reason I think Marquardt has the edge on Bykowski is simply because of consensus ratings around the web. Most places had Marquardt in the 4-6 rounds, while I haven't found an outlet that projected Bykowski to be drafted.

As for Gray vs. Daniels, it seems Gray has considerably better size and athleticism. Daniels's best shot will be if he can throw quite a bit better than Gray. Neither will make the team if they don't offer QB3 value, in my opinion. In their roles as ST/TE/RB hybrids I don't think they are needed because we already have so many versatile weapons.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I actually think the 49ers might be higher on Gray and Marquardt than they are on Daniels and Bykowski. It's pretty much just speculation on my part, but that's my read on the situation. I think they drafted the two players they felt less confident in their ability to lock up to UDFA contracts. They pursued the strategy most likely to yield all four players.

The reason I think Marquardt has the edge on Bykowski is simply because of consensus ratings around the web. Most places had Marquardt in the 4-6 rounds, while I haven't found an outlet that projected Bykowski to be drafted.

As for Gray vs. Daniels, it seems Gray has considerably better size and athleticism. Daniels's best shot will be if he can throw quite a bit better than Gray. Neither will make the team if they don't offer QB3 value, in my opinion. In their roles as ST/TE/RB hybrids I don't think they are needed because we already have so many versatile weapons.
Seems to me like Daniels would have to beat out Tolzien to make the team, which I think is unlikely. He will probably end up being our practice squad QB if he clears waivers. And who knows, maybe after a year or two of that he's ready to be a back up QB on the actual roster.

Gray, on the other hand, only needs to beat out Garrett Celek to make the roster, since we normally carry 3 TEs. If he shows some dynamic playmaking ability in the preseason, I could see the 9ers rolling the dice on him over Celek. Celek is pretty dependable, but he's not a dynamic threat. Gray could potentially be a much more dynamic player for us in that 3rd TE role because he's faster, more elusive, and could be used in many more ways, even including passing. Plus, he'd essentially be a 4th QB, or even a 3rd QB on game day if the 9ers elect to not dress their normal 3rd QB.

Of course, this is all just theory based on some youtube movies. So we'll have to see what they look like when mini camps and preseason start.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

Seems to me like Daniels would have to beat out Tolzien to make the team, which I think is unlikely. He will probably end up being our practice squad QB if he clears waivers. And who knows, maybe after a year or two of that he's ready to be a back up QB on the actual roster.

Gray, on the other hand, only needs to beat out Garrett Celek to make the roster, since we normally carry 3 TEs. If he shows some dynamic playmaking ability in the preseason, I could see the 9ers rolling the dice on him over Celek. Celek is pretty dependable, but he's not a dynamic threat. Gray could potentially be a much more dynamic player for us in that 3rd TE role because he's faster, more elusive, and could be used in many more ways, even including passing. Plus, he'd essentially be a 4th QB, or even a 3rd QB on game day if the 9ers elect to not dress their normal 3rd QB.

Of course, this is all just theory based on some youtube movies. So we'll have to see what they look like when mini camps and preseason start.

Naw, he has to beat out Cameron Morrah too.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Ok fine, but I don't think either Celek or Morrah gives us much upside.

Also interesting, and possibly related, we just added Ronald Curry as an offensive assistant. That's interesting to me because Curry was a pretty successful college QB to NFL WR conversion player.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/harbaugh-adds-ex-raider-ronald-curry-to-coaching-staff.html
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
He is a ps player at best. People do this every year and drink draft and highlight combine kool aid and somehow see every pick up as making the 53 man roster. This guy is not even likely to make the ps imo. Probably a camp body and cut. But he has some tools and if he is lucky with injuries and works his tale off maybe PS.

I think people underestimate just how good you have to be to make an NFL roster, let alone get significant playing time. Truth be told, there are a lot of athletes out there with "measurables." Very few are among the elite that they even have a chance to be considered to have a shot to make an NFL roster, let along making one.
I hope he works hard enough that he makes the 49ers team. He sure has lots of talent and swiss army knife skills.

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Ok fine, but I don't think either Celek or Morrah gives us much upside.

Also interesting, and possibly related, we just added Ronald Curry as an offensive assistant. That's interesting to me because Curry was a pretty successful college QB to NFL WR conversion player.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/harbaugh-adds-ex-raider-ronald-curry-to-coaching-staff.html

I feel like if Morrah can stay healthy, he can be a possible replacement for Delanie Walker. He's bigger than Delanie and has better hands. Not quite as fast, but still pretty darn fast. I'd love to see him, Mcdonald, and Vernon as our 3 tight ends. Celek did play well when called upon last year though.
Can he play safety?
I saw him out there a couple of times.. he looks MUCH faster than his 4.7 40 time.... really looks like Delanie out there with his shiftiness.

was hoping he'd get some passes thrown his way, hopefully next game.

I'd rather have him than Celek really. If we didn't have McDonald I'd be fine with keeping Celek. I just think Gray can bring something different. I just want to see if he can catch the ball...as well as his run blocking out of the backfield.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I saw him out there a couple of times.. he looks MUCH faster than his 4.7 40 time.... really looks like Delanie out there with his shiftiness.

was hoping he'd get some passes thrown his way, hopefully next game.

I'd rather have him than Celek really. If we didn't have McDonald I'd be fine with keeping Celek. I just think Gray can bring something different. I just want to see if he can catch the ball...as well as his run blocking out of the backfield.

If we got better play from our backup QBs he might have gotten some tosses. I also think Gray can be a player if he can stick around on this roster. I think from the couch that he has more upside as a receiver than Celek. I see Gray making some chunk plays and as having some reliable hands with a lot more speed than Celek. Celek is a good player though with experience in our system but he didn't have much impact last night either
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
If you are talking about TE, I would rather have Gray over Celek. Gray has far higher upsides.

As for QB, both McCoy and Tolzien looked really pedestrian last night. I saw back-ups from a few other teams played far better such as Kirk Cussons and Josh Johnson. I am putting all my hopes on BJ Daniels and am looking forward to seeing what he can bring perhaps in the next game.
Share 49ersWebzone