There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This practice squad is going to be incredible! (does this post make me a niner addict?)

The P-Squad should be comprised of 8 of these players below.

MarQuies Gray
DJ Harper
Carter Bykowski
Luke Marquardt
Al Netter
Darryl Morris
Marcus Cooper
BJ Daniels
Nick Moody
Lawrence Okoye

No way do I think anyone will claim Okoye, because we wont feature him as much as other propsects. So no reason to keep him on 53 man.

I see Daniels beating Tolzien, Moody and both Bykowski and Marquardt on the 53 man roster. Marquardt will be our best UDFA signing of this class.

My guess is Morris, Harper, Okoye, Cooper, Gray, a Safety, another OL and WR on P-Squad.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

MarQuies Gray
DJ Harper
Carter Bykowski
Luke Marquardt
Al Netter
Darryl Morris
Marcus Cooper
BJ Daniels
Nick Moody
Lawrence Okoye

No way do I think anyone will claim Okoye, because we wont feature him as much as other propsects. So no reason to keep him on 53 man.

I see Daniels beating Tolzien, Moody and both Bykowski and Marquardt on the 53 man roster. Marquardt will be our best UDFA signing of this class.

My guess is Morris, Harper, Okoye, Cooper, Gray, a Safety, another OL and WR on P-Squad.

AB, my guess is you also see one of Kilgore or Looney beating out Goodwin in camp (cap casualty?) for an O-Line at looks like Staley, Iupati, Kilgor, Boone, Davis with Marquardt as sing OT and Looney as interior back up? I'd be a bit nervous with Marquardt as swing OT given lack of experience unless you see Boone as swing OT and Looney coming in for him off the bench.
Originally posted by Mookster:

MarQuies Gray
DJ Harper
Carter Bykowski
Luke Marquardt
Al Netter
Darryl Morris
Marcus Cooper
BJ Daniels
Nick Moody
Lawrence Okoye

AB, my guess is you also see one of Kilgore or Looney beating out Goodwin in camp (cap casualty?) for an O-Line at looks like Staley, Iupati, Kilgor, Boone, Davis with Marquardt as sing OT and Looney as interior back up? I'd be a bit nervous with Marquardt as swing OT given lack of experience unless you see Boone as swing OT and Looney coming in for him off the bench.

I am going back and forth on this one. Goodwin I think, unless he is outperformed, stays, thus leaving us a decision. Do we keep Boone as swing OT in case of injuries, and do we teach Kilgore and Looney some Tackle. So we could easily have the most versatile OL in the NFL.
This thread is fairy tale land DRAFT PICKS AND UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS ARE GONNA GET CUT.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Mookster.
I am going back and forth on this one. Goodwin I think, unless he is outperformed, stays, thus leaving us a decision. Do we keep Boone as swing OT in case of injuries, and do we teach Kilgore and Looney some Tackle. So we could easily have the most versatile OL in the NFL.

I thought Boone played exceptionally well for his first year at RG and think with continued time in the role will be a pro bowler. Putting him on the bench in favour of Kilgore or Looney would be difficult. So unless we decide to cut either one of those two, or Goodwin becomes a cap casualty, I think a UDFA breaking into our O-Line will be next to impossible.

What are your thoughts on Marquardt to the PUP? You have a better handle on the requirements and restrictions of these things than most so I would welcome your opinion. I do agree though that he will be one of our better UDFA signings and will follow a similar path as Boone - stashed for a couple of years, developed then a quality starter.
Originally posted by redrathman:
This thread is fairy tale land DRAFT PICKS AND UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS ARE GONNA GET CUT.

Now that is a very insightful contribution to what heretofore was a completely inane discussion. Thank-you.

MarQuies Gray
DJ Harper
Carter Bykowski
Luke Marquardt
Al Netter
Darryl Morris
Marcus Cooper
BJ Daniels
Nick Moody
Lawrence Okoye

No way do I think anyone will claim Okoye, because we wont feature him as much as other prospects. So no reason to keep him on 53 man.

Good post as always AB... The only player I would doubt would make the team or the PS is Gray. Can't play QB because he can't pass and needs to gain another 10-15 lbs. to play TE or lose about 15 lbs. to play WR, which I think is his most intriguing position. In any of those scenarios, he needs to develop at lightning speed (and I doubt that can happen) so I think he gets cut.

I also think B.J. Daniels has a lot of developing to do to beat out Tolzien, who despite his physical limitations, knows the offense backwards and forwards, has a great work ethic, and is very very competitive. I think Tolzien wills his way onto the team. Daniels goes to the PS.

Here is my list...not a whole lot different from yours. I have WR Jacobs making the PS because of his return capabilities and his quickness, both attributes that most Niner receivers lack. Cam Johnson takes a spot on the PS because he was hurt all of last year but still has some good talent.

QB Daniels
DL Okoye
OT Marquardt or Bykowski
CB Cooper
CB Morris
RB Harper or Hampton
WR Jacobs
OLB/DE C. Johnson (and if he isn't eligible, then both OTs above make it)

If S Trent Robinson has PS eligibility left and doesn't beat out any other S, he could find a way onto the squad too.

Your thoughts?

Now that is a very insightful contribution to what heretofore was a completely inane discussion. Thank-you.

Discussion about the practices squad is inane. I'm simply adding to the discussion.
Discussion about the practices squad is inane. I'm simply adding to the discussion.

No, discussion about the Practice Squad, as with any 49er discussion, is fun.
From wiki...

Each NFL team may keep up to eight members on its "practice squad" in addition to the 53-member main roster. They consist mostly of rookies who were cut in training camps and borderline NFL-caliber players. Both rookies and young veterans are eligible for the practice squad. However, a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons, he is eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment, or have no prior accrued seasons in the NFL (an accrued season is six or more games on the active roster); or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience on a club's 53-man active roster. If the player was on the active list for fewer than 9 games during their "only Accrued Season(s)", he maintains his eligibility for the practice squad. Games in which a player is listed as the third-string quarterback (a designation that has been abolished as of 2011) do not count as being on the active list.

Practice squad players are free agents; they can be signed to any team's 53-man roster at any time during the season. In other words, NFL teams are free to "poach" other teams' practice squads without compensating the teams.

IMO, Daniels makes the team as the 3rd QB beating out Tolzien (who might fetch a 7th rounder next year on the trade wire) simply because his development and sideline involvement will be better on the 53 roster than on the PS and he can still run the scout team. If Okoye shows enough in OTAs and camp he'll make the PS and I doubt he'll get claimed off waivers as he isn't ready for anyone's game day roster. Give him a year of professional football coaching and development and we'll see what happens. Marquardt is a very interesting prospect who I doubt will make it through waivers. 6'9" 320lb tackles are a rare commodity even if they don't have alot of experience. I expect the Niners will try and put him on the PUP due to his foot injury (he had surgery after the combine) to avoid needing to pass him through waivers until halfway through the season when all other teams have their 53 in place and no chance to develop him early in the season. Once he comes off the PUP he should clear waivers and make it to the PS.

Harbaugh likes to call the PS the "Development Squad" and this year it will definitely look that way. I would expect of the remaining 6 spots (after Okoye and Marquardt) we'll see 2 WRs, 1RB, 2DBs and 1LB. WRs and DBs are for development (given pending need) and RB/LB for scout team looks.

Right now it could more aptly be called the "development for other teams" squad as the rest of the NFL has gotten more out of the practice squad than the 49ers have.

Not necessarily related to the practice squad, but did anyone else notice that the Seahawks signed Brett Swain a few weeks back??

No, discussion about the Practice Squad, as with any 49er discussion, is fun.

Kilgore and Looney don't have the size or experience to play tackle in the NFL. Harbaugh will keep an additional tackle on the roster (Netter) that will likely be inactive unless a tackle is hurt on game day. If a game day injury occurs, Boone will simply slide over and Kilgore will replace him. Marquardt could be PUP, but he'll still need to be waived if they want him on the practice squad once healthy. I don't think he'll make the 54 out of camp after having surgery just last month. Gray and Daniels are camp bodies. Harbaugh and Baalke are likely targeting one or two players who will be waived after the third week of pre season.
Lockette will make the team, way too many 49er fans are sleeping on him
Kilgore and Looney don't have the size or experience to play tackle in the NFL. Harbaugh will keep an additional tackle on the roster (Netter) that will likely be inactive unless a tackle is hurt on game day. If a game day injury occurs, Boone will simply slide over and Kilgore will replace him. Marquardt could be PUP, but he'll still need to be waived if they want him on the practice squad once healthy. I don't think he'll make the 54 out of camp after having surgery just last month. Gray and Daniels are camp bodies. Harbaugh and Baalke are likely targeting one or two players who will be waived after the third week of pre season.

I agree on both fronts about Looney and Kilgore and would add Netter to that statement (although at 6'6" he's tall enough) as all 3 are "only" in the 310 range. All are listed as guards as well. Failed tackles get moved inside. Rarely do guards, however good, get moved out to OT.

I would disagree about Daniels. He's a good scout QB for the read option and if he continues to develop would be the better option behind Kap than either McCoy or Tolzien. I think he beats out Tolzien for QB3 purely because of this.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Good post as always AB... The only player I would doubt would make the team or the PS is Gray. Can't play QB because he can't pass and needs to gain another 10-15 lbs. to play TE or lose about 15 lbs. to play WR, which I think is his most intriguing position. In any of those scenarios, he needs to develop at lightning speed (and I doubt that can happen) so I think he gets cut.

I also think B.J. Daniels has a lot of developing to do to beat out Tolzien, who despite his physical limitations, knows the offense backwards and forwards, has a great work ethic, and is very very competitive. I think Tolzien wills his way onto the team. Daniels goes to the PS.

Here is my list...not a whole lot different from yours. I have WR Jacobs making the PS because of his return capabilities and his quickness, both attributes that most Niner receivers lack. Cam Johnson takes a spot on the PS because he was hurt all of last year but still has some good talent.

QB Daniels
DL Okoye
OT Marquardt or Bykowski
CB Cooper
CB Morris
RB Harper or Hampton
WR Jacobs
OLB/DE C. Johnson (and if he isn't eligible, then both OTs above make it)

If S Trent Robinson has PS eligibility left and doesn't beat out any other S, he could find a way onto the squad too.

Your thoughts?

I actually think Gray has more chance to make the team than a lot of these other guys. The reason is the he only has to beat out celek to get a spot. And even if he's not as developed as a TE, if he can bring more to the table, especially on ST, then he has a shot.

The problem is not with Boones talent at OT. The problem is that he practices at guard, sliding over to OT cold is difficult because it is an extremely difficult position. Sliding over from OT to guard is much easier. I would much rather we have backup OT that can slide to guard, but we have the opposite, we have backup guards. Our only legit backup tackle now practices at guard.
We were one of three teams in the league to not have to deal with injuries on our line last year. We dodged a bullet. The cloudy situation at OT is the only thing that worries me about this team (well, backup quarterback too, but almost no one has stability at that position).