LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 146 users in the forums

Darryl Morris (2013 UDFA CB)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm super excited about Marcus Cooper...watched him closely in the Denver game and there is just something about him; seems "mature: so-to-speak. He seemed disciplined in his sets, made a couple plays, etc. Morris didn't stand out too much to me but like Cooper, love his kids tangibles. I would love if both Cooper (awesome size/speed outside) and Morris (ideal slot CB) could make the squad or develop into the next Boone.

Totally agree. These two guys together have a lot of what a modern defensive backfield needs. Cooper has got great size and really doesn't give away much in speed - he's still in the 4.4's. And Morris has got absolutely elite speed and quickness. I can totally see Morris in the slot and Cooper out on the edge.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm super excited about Marcus Cooper...watched him closely in the Denver game and there is just something about him; seems "mature: so-to-speak. He seemed disciplined in his sets, made a couple plays, etc. Morris didn't stand out too much to me but like Cooper, love his kids tangibles. I would love if both Cooper (awesome size/speed outside) and Morris (ideal slot CB) could make the squad or develop into the next Boone.

Totally agree. These two guys together have a lot of what a modern defensive backfield needs. Cooper has got great size and really doesn't give away much in speed - he's still in the 4.4's. And Morris has got absolutely elite speed and quickness. I can totally see Morris in the slot and Cooper out on the edge.

Darryl Morris vs. Dexter McCluster or Donnie Avery that should be a real good test for Morris.
Been noticing Morris' name coming up a lot in TC for good plays including knockdowns and interceptions.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Darryl Morris vs. Dexter McCluster or Donnie Avery that should be a real good test for Morris.

Yeah, I hope we see that. I think Morris has Deion Sanders league speed. I think he has the speed to hang back, bait and then close. But, we'll find out.
^^^ yup and he was one of the first one down on coverage as well, several times (added value). I'll be looking for more #33 and #38 this game!
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM ]
The problem isn't Morris, it's Fangio ... he doesn't like small corners.
Originally posted by Scoots:

well according to my wife size isnt the most important thing
[ Edited by xtm059 on Aug 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM ]

Today, Fangio was asked if cornerback Darryl Morris has a chance to make the 53-man roster, or at least find a spot on the practice squad:

"He certainly does," Fangio said. "And he's picked it up this week in practice. He's done a good job of covering. You may have seen the couple of plays he's made against our offense on some deep balls. That's always encouraging to see. And the guy can really run. He's fast. Really fast … He's got something to work with and he's progressing. He's getting better."

http://sulia.com/channel/san-francisco-49ers/f/df8a5e1e-72b2-4e82-bda2-2dd2955e54ce/?source=twitter
Even if guys like Cooper and Morris don't make the roster this year if we can manage to keep them on the PS all year without them being signed to a 53 man roster they will have a great shot at making it next year. Brown, Asomugha, Cox, Brock and Wright (if he makes it this year) are all FA's and Rogers is likely to get cut if he doesn't restructure after this season. These guys just have to keep working hard and they will get their chance. Also, with the way we use our PS they very well could be promoted to the 53 if an injury occurs.
Would really love to see Morris make the roster, his type of speed can be very useful on special teams, also doesn't hurt having some top-end speed at the secondary, not sure he'd survive on the practice squad though.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Would really love to see Morris make the roster, his type of speed can be very useful on special teams, also doesn't hurt having some top-end speed at the secondary, not sure he'd survive on the practice squad though.

I wish we had a list of the PS players of the past several years...of the guys we lost who then produced well for their new teams. I remember a few times seeing we lost a few and was bummed but never followed them to see if they made it to the next level.
I wish we had a list of the PS players of the past several years...of the guys we lost who then produced well for their new teams. I remember a few times seeing we lost a few and was bummed but never followed them to see if they made it to the next level.

I know Nathan Palmer is still with the Colts and Chris Owusu is still with the Bucs, neither one has made a big impact, there's quite a few former 49ers practice squad guys from recent years on NFL rosters, don't know that any of them are starters. I believe Chase Beeler is a backup with the Rams. Konrad Reuland is a backup TE with the Jets.
The 49ers have had a pretty good record of having their PS players refuse moves to other teams to stay on the 49ers PS. I hope Morris, Jacobs, Cooper, Bykowski, Marquardt, Daniels, and Okoye all make it to the PS and choose to stay there.
Yeah, Fangio said "they come in all sizes" today. He pointed out Darryl Green. He said some do it with speed, some do it with length, etc. I think he's enough of a pro to recognize that Morris has incredible speed.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
The 49ers have had a pretty good record of having their PS players refuse moves to other teams to stay on the 49ers PS. I hope Morris, Jacobs, Cooper, Bykowski, Marquardt, Daniels, and Okoye all make it to the PS and choose to stay there.

Morris and Cooper would most likely stay put if placed on the PS... they have got to know that there will be a good chance of an opening or two for CB next season. Who knows, they may, one day, develop into starters (maybe sooner than expected).
Share 49ersWebzone