There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Darryl Morris (2013 UDFA CB)

Went to high school with darryl its crazy to see him on my favorite team now. He has ran in the 4.4 range since he was a freshmen. Always had blazing speed and ridiculous recovery speed when he got beat.. But he always had terrible ball skills and was more of a track star with a helmet on... Martel moore who just signed with atl after going undrafted used to own him in practice lol.. In college he improved his technique and he does work hard but still doesnt have great ball skills or instincts... Imo he won't ever be a playmaker maybe he can become a solid cover guy eventually.. Could def see him as a gunner
Originally posted by NinersPlusOne:
Went to high school with darryl its crazy to see him on my favorite team now. He has ran in the 4.4 range since he was a freshmen. Always had blazing speed and ridiculous recovery speed when he got beat.. But he always had terrible ball skills and was more of a track star with a helmet on... Martel moore who just signed with atl after going undrafted used to own him in practice lol.. In college he improved his technique and he does work hard but still doesnt have great ball skills or instincts... Imo he won't ever be a playmaker maybe he can become a solid cover guy eventually.. Could def see him as a gunner

wow, great insight. Thanks
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,720
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
most impressed by his BJ skills. He can take 10.4"

This is phallically hilarious!

Got Culliver trippin, now
How was this guy not drafted again? I watched his tape and I gotta say his closing speed is unparalleled. Seriously impressed with his awareness, ball skills and his tackling ability is very very good for someone of his size and disposition (coming from Texas State).. At 5,10 hes like a Darrell green/DeAngelo Hall mix.
If for nothing else, him as a gunner wouldn't hurt.
Hahaha-Every year the webzone has a crush or two of a newbie. I'll wait to see how he does against the vets and in training camps and the preseason before anoiting him as special and kicking off Brock or Rogers who have proven NFL experience although not to the level some may want.

Keep in mind small school and small attributes as well as the fact that the Texas State defense gave up 31 points a game against a lower level of competition, while not all his fault, you would think he would have had more plays and tackles with that speed. The other part is how well coached his opponents and the sophistication that he went up against was a lower level.

Also keep in mind those are his highlights that he and his handlers made to sell himself to the 32 teams. What you don't see is his bad decisions or mistackles.

Here is the bio provided by the link of one of the posters:
Bio: Three-year starter who finished with 61 tackles/4 interceptions/5 pass break-ups as a senior after 62/1/6 the prior year.

Positive: Athletic cornerback best facing the action. Displays good recognition in zone coverage, quickly picks up assignments and displays a burst to the action. Quick flipping his hips transition with opponents, gets vertical and battles to defend the pass.

Negative: Lacks a quick, fluid backpedal and prefers to side shuffle down the field. Not a sturdy tackler.

Analysis: Morris has been consistent at Texas State the past three seasons and projects as a dime back in zone coverage at the next level.


Still you can't teach speed. His highlights do show a good range, recognition and recovery, based on that and the scouting analysis (see the bold), he would best be a dime corner or maybe if learns to tackle a future free saftey than a corner or nickle corner. This would allow Eric Reid to move to SS and be the enforcer with good range and use Morris's strength to roam and make plays and be the saftey valve. However, tackling is the key, is he can't tackle he won't be any good as a gunner and if he has no special teams value then he is useless right now. Still let's see if this a diamond in the rough that can the coaches can remove the flaws or if he is just a cubic zarconium (sp?).
[ Edited by WildBill on May 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM ]
Originally posted by WildBill:
Hahaha-Every year the webzone has a crush or two of a newbie. I'll wait to see how he does against the vets and in training camps and the preseason before anoiting him as special and kicking off Brock or Rogers who have proven NFL experience although not to the level some may want.

Keep in mind small school and small attributes as well as the fact that the Texas State defense gave up 31 points a game against a lower level of competition, while not all his fault, you would think he would have had more plays and tackles with that speed. The other part is how well coached his opponents and the sophistication that he went up against was a lower level.

Also keep in mind those are his highlights that he and his handlers made to sell himself to the 32 teams. What you don't see is his bad decisions or mistackles.

Here is the bio provided by the link of one of the posters:
Bio: Three-year starter who finished with 61 tackles/4 interceptions/5 pass break-ups as a senior after 62/1/6 the prior year.

Positive: Athletic cornerback best facing the action. Displays good recognition in zone coverage, quickly picks up assignments and displays a burst to the action. Quick flipping his hips transition with opponents, gets vertical and battles to defend the pass.

Negative: Lacks a quick, fluid backpedal and prefers to side shuffle down the field. Not a sturdy tackler.

Analysis: Morris has been consistent at Texas State the past three seasons and projects as a dime back in zone coverage at the next level.


Still you can't teach speed. His highlights do show a good range, recognition and recovery, based on that and the scouting analysis (see the bold), he would best be a dime corner or maybe if learns to tackle a future free saftey than a corner or nickle corner. This would allow Eric Reid to move to SS and be the enforcer with good range and use Morris's strength to roam and make plays and be the saftey valve. However, tackling is the key, is he can't tackle he won't be any good as a gunner and if he has no special teams value then he is useless right now. Still let's see if this a diamond in the rough that can the coaches can remove the flaws or if he is just a cubic zarconium (sp?).

As much as I think Reid's natural spot is at SS, I think once we get our pass rush back everyone will fall in love with Whitner again.. Its 'what have you done for me lately'. And lately, at 5,10 or shorter, he's been having to safety value for breakdowns in large areas or space, against 6,3 speed guys, and/or great Red zone and 3rd down players.. He's a player of speed, intelligence and leverage..
[ Edited by bdub2588 on May 14, 2013 at 3:02 AM ]
Originally posted by NinersPlusOne:
Went to high school with darryl its crazy to see him on my favorite team now. He has ran in the 4.4 range since he was a freshmen. Always had blazing speed and ridiculous recovery speed when he got beat.. But he always had terrible ball skills and was more of a track star with a helmet on... Martel moore who just signed with atl after going undrafted used to own him in practice lol.. In college he improved his technique and he does work hard but still doesnt have great ball skills or instincts... Imo he won't ever be a playmaker maybe he can become a solid cover guy eventually.. Could def see him as a gunner

That's weird. What do you mean "ball skills" and "instinct" The scouting report seems weird too. The guy looks like a tackling machine on tape. Can't tackle? He does nothing but tackle. Anyway, I'll take a "solid cover guy" ..... who can tackle in the open field?....I mean, isn't that what the NFL is looking for? I guess the fluidity isn't there....? Any comments from people who saw camp?
That play at 4:15 where he crosses the entire field to catch the runner before he can score is really something else. Amazing speed.
What are we going to do about all these quick WRs? Who on our team can stay with them? Maybe Culiver, but what if he or Carlos go down with an injury...
[ Edited by bdub2588 on May 15, 2013 at 12:02 AM ]
Originally posted by WildBill:
Hahaha-Every year the webzone has a crush or two of a newbie. I'll wait to see how he does against the vets and in training camps and the preseason before anoiting him as special and kicking off Brock or Rogers who have proven NFL experience although not to the level some may want.

Keep in mind small school and small attributes as well as the fact that the Texas State defense gave up 31 points a game against a lower level of competition, while not all his fault, you would think he would have had more plays and tackles with that speed. The other part is how well coached his opponents and the sophistication that he went up against was a lower level.

Also keep in mind those are his highlights that he and his handlers made to sell himself to the 32 teams. What you don't see is his bad decisions or mistackles.

Here is the bio provided by the link of one of the posters:
Bio: Three-year starter who finished with 61 tackles/4 interceptions/5 pass break-ups as a senior after 62/1/6 the prior year.

Positive: Athletic cornerback best facing the action. Displays good recognition in zone coverage, quickly picks up assignments and displays a burst to the action. Quick flipping his hips transition with opponents, gets vertical and battles to defend the pass.

Negative: Lacks a quick, fluid backpedal and prefers to side shuffle down the field. Not a sturdy tackler.

Analysis: Morris has been consistent at Texas State the past three seasons and projects as a dime back in zone coverage at the next level.


Still you can't teach speed. His highlights do show a good range, recognition and recovery, based on that and the scouting analysis (see the bold), he would best be a dime corner or maybe if learns to tackle a future free saftey than a corner or nickle corner. This would allow Eric Reid to move to SS and be the enforcer with good range and use Morris's strength to roam and make plays and be the saftey valve. However, tackling is the key, is he can't tackle he won't be any good as a gunner and if he has no special teams value then he is useless right now. Still let's see if this a diamond in the rough that can the coaches can remove the flaws or if he is just a cubic zarconium (sp?).

Agreed, we always like the diamonds-in-the-rough and the human-story of coming up from the bottom. Nice analysis. I love highlights but like you said, let's see the low-lights too. He does seem steady and consistent (re: stats). Ideally, he could play in the nickle and or develop into an excellent slot CB who can match up against the Harvin/Austin's of the world.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 15, 2013 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
That's weird. What do you mean "ball skills" and "instinct" The scouting report seems weird too. The guy looks like a tackling machine on tape. Can't tackle? He does nothing but tackle. Anyway, I'll take a "solid cover guy" ..... who can tackle in the open field?....I mean, isn't that what the NFL is looking for? I guess the fluidity isn't there....? Any comments from people who saw camp?

Ball skills like the abilty to make a play on the football while its in the air. Never had good hands but not carlos rogers bad lol.. Maybe instincts wasn't the best word. Should have said playmaking abilty, he very rarely made plays.. His tackling was average at best but he never shied away from contact, but i'm sure his highlights don't show his missed tackles.. Track star with a helmet is honestly the best way i can describe him, and a lot of people who know him would agree.. Dedicated worker no doubt.. Keep in mind i'm basing my opinion mainly off 4 years of high school so he could be a completely different player. I did see him in person vs utsa however.. Keep his level of competition in mind... He could prove me wrong, i hope he does but i don't see him as anything better than a dime corner and he's not even ready for that yet.
Originally posted by NinersPlusOne:
Ball skills like the abilty to make a play on the football while its in the air. Never had good hands but not carlos rogers bad lol.. Maybe instincts wasn't the best word. Should have said playmaking abilty, he very rarely made plays.. His tackling was average at best but he never shied away from contact, but i'm sure his highlights don't show his missed tackles.. Track star with a helmet is honestly the best way i can describe him, and a lot of people who know him would agree.. Dedicated worker no doubt.. Keep in mind i'm basing my opinion mainly off 4 years of high school so he could be a completely different player. I did see him in person vs utsa however.. Keep his level of competition in mind... He could prove me wrong, i hope he does but i don't see him as anything better than a dime corner and he's not even ready for that yet.

You're Tremaine Brock's uncle, aren't you? Well, Morris seems to have made some PD's in mini camp. So maybe the last 4 years of work are paying off. Like most teams, the niners look at full game tape if they're interested by the highlights. So I am hopeful there weren't too many sloppy tackles there. We'll see how it goes. Maybe he's decided to start eating clean, train right....a lot can happen in 4 years....
Originally posted by GNielsen:
That play at 4:15 where he crosses the entire field to catch the runner before he can score is really something else. Amazing speed.

Yeah that reminded me of Darrell Green
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,720
Does anyone think he can take the spot of any of the current DBs (ON) the team, right this moment?