LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Darryl Morris (2013 UDFA CB)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

my best hope for morris would be that he becomes a tramiane brock type player--if he was that good why didnt he get drafted?
Originally posted by hofer36:
my best hope for morris would be that he becomes a tramiane brock type player--if he was that good why didnt he get drafted?

Not sure. I don't really follow the draft that close. He looks pretty good against weak competition.
I know this is against weaker competition but speed doesn't lie. He can wrap them up too.. doesn't miss tackles.. I think this is the undrafted free agent we'll be talking about in a couple years. He looks solid.
He's going to benefit from our Front Office not taking a CB draftee early. Who knows, he could be a great find.
I love his skills and abilities but it still begs the question why he got passed up over 7 rounds by 32 teams. Not saying the guy couldn't have a future but just curious. Even with his size, there is a growing need for players with his skillset to offset these short, quick slot receivers. Anybody know why he didn't get drafted?
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I love his skills and abilities but it still begs the question why he got passed up over 7 rounds by 32 teams. Not saying the guy couldn't have a future but just curious. Even with his size, there is a growing need for players with his skillset to offset these short, quick slot receivers. Anybody know why he didn't get drafted?

Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with his height and where he played. I think he could have easily been drafted as early as the 5th round. Teams sometimes won't really risk a pick on a player that hasn't proved himself against big schools in big games. It's the same reason I think Patton fell to the 4th round. I think it's a stupid notion, and I like that our front office isn't swayed by popular perception. If they find players w raw ability and skills they like, they'll draft him.. they could care less where he played or what the league thinks of the player.
Look at how they found Kaepernick, Aldon, and the jury is still out on AJ .. but they find players they really like and they pick em.

It's another reason why I'm really excited about McDonald. Everyone wanted Ertz.. including myself.. and everyone i'm sure was like "who's this guy?" "Rice?" but Balkee and Harbaugh liked this guy better and i'm excited to see him play

If Kaepernick is really this good why didn't he get drafted in the first? If Brady was that good, why didn't he get drafted before the 6th? If Montana was really that good why didn't get get drafted earlier than the 3rd? If Richard Sherman is that good, why did he last to the 5th? If Arian Foster is really that good why didn't he get drafted? Why didn't Alex Boone? Why didn't Priest Holmes, Jeff Saturday, Wes Welker, James Harrison, Antonio Gates, Kurt Warner, etc.
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on May 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM ]
Originally posted by ivanm05:
Look at how they found Kaepernick, Aldon, and the jury is still out on AJ .. but they find players they really like and they pick em.

It's another reason why I'm really excited about McDonald. Everyone wanted Ertz.. including myself.. and everyone i'm sure was like "who's this guy?" "Rice?" but Balkee and Harbaugh liked this guy better and i'm excited to see him play

I didn't want Ertz, and I'm excited for McDonald. But Baalke and Harbaugh wanted Ertz more I believe. It's just that he wasn't on the board any longer

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
He seems to run the routes better than the WR's with good anticipation and instincts. Speed is definitely there.

Were you at the practices? Are they open to the public?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by ivanm05:

I didn't want Ertz, and I'm excited for McDonald. But Baalke and Harbaugh wanted Ertz more I believe. It's just that he wasn't on the board any longer

They passed on ertz... that tells you all they thought about him.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
If Kaepernick is really this good why didn't he get drafted in the first? If Brady was that good, why didn't he get drafted before the 6th? If Montana was really that good why didn't get get drafted earlier than the 3rd? If Richard Sherman is that good, why did he last to the 5th? If Arian Foster is really that good why didn't he get drafted? Why didn't Alex Boone? Why didn't Priest Holmes, Jeff Saturday, Wes Welker, James Harrison, Antonio Gates, Kurt Warner, etc.

I hear ya...

"Cornerback Darryl Morris (Texas State) had great coverage of a deep route against fourth-round draft pick Quinton Patton during one-on-one drills. Morris also picked off a Montana pass intended for Greg Wilson of Fordham."
Quote from Borrows:

"Cornerback Darryl Morris made one of the best defensive plays by knocking away a deep sideline pass from Daniels to wide receiver Wilson. If you want to see Morris' speed, scroll to the 4:15 mark of the video below."

He then posted the video from page 1 of this forum. Anyone think Borrows is reading the Webzone?

Exactly!

Quite surprised that anyone would ever use the "why wasn't he drafted if he was any good" line. Look around. Drafting is as hit-and-miss as they come. The Niners are not immune to it.
Share 49ersWebzone