There are 200 users in the forums

Darryl Morris (2013 UDFA CB)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jtr2
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
I really hope we have something with this guy...personally he or Cooper can make the team that pushes Brock off which I would love but i would like to see them both make the team and maybe push Brock and Rodgers off. I could be wrong but I really felt at the end of last year rodgers showed signs of slowing down and I wouldnt mind these rooks pushing him off the team however it might be more likely there is only one spot open cause they probably want to keep rodgers for leadership... so may the best man win.
Totally agree with you on getting Rogers off the team even if we owe him money.
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
I really hope we have something with this guy...personally he or Cooper can make the team that pushes Brock off which I would love but i would like to see them both make the team and maybe push Brock and Rodgers off. I could be wrong but I really felt at the end of last year rodgers showed signs of slowing down and I wouldnt mind these rooks pushing him off the team however it might be more likely there is only one spot open cause they probably want to keep rodgers for leadership... so may the best man win.

Most likely scenario is that one of them makes it to the practice squad, and battles for a roster spot next year or the year after. The best case scenario is that both make the practice squad. If Morris shows off return ability he could be a dark horse to unseat Cox or Brock on the roster.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Love the additions of him and Marcus Cooper. Obvious big-upside players who have a shot at making this team in the future -- at the very least doing ST's. With Rogers and Asomugha both on the wrong side of 30, it's wise to invest in young, talented corners who you like the potential of. I love the two guys we chose.

Morris' size and small school are the likely cause of him going undrafted, so here's to hoping we uncovered another gem in the rough. I think if he turns out to be a diamond in the rough, his calling could be as a top-notch slot cover corner.

As usual, an excellent post, OTC....and I had several of the same thoughts.

I did notice that he was rising up the NFL Draft Scout Rankings so he wasn't completely overlooked.

Also, speaking to his gifts, the thing which stands out to me more than anything is his quickness, which when covering slot guys is an absolute must (and why Rogers, at this point in his career, can't keep up with them). BTW....that is no knock on Rogers, who I felt was excellent as a cover guy on the edge in 2011 (and where I think he belongs this year).

There are only 3 ways to stop those waterbug slot guys...
1) knock the cr*p out of them at the LOS to disrupt their routes.
2) have an equally quick guy just shadow their every move.
3) do both of the above.

Clearly, the Niners' strategy is the first of the three... However, I can see the team putting Morris on the PS, coaching him up, and at some time during the season, bringing him up to the 53...especially if there is an injury to one of the older corners, a distinct possibility.

Good luck Daryll Morris!
Yow! That across-the-field trackdown is, like, one of my favorite defensive field sport plays, ever. Crazy. The mental aspect of making that play is really really attractive. That's a mental all pro play right there. Made me watch the rest of the highlights. This kid is a tackling machine (at Texas State).

Does anyone have real meaningful stats on him? Tackles? Assists? PD's? I'm not going to use the words "Daryl Green mystery clone" here at all. Not at all.

Except that, coincidentally, he also went to an off-the-beaten-path Texas school. Something in the water down there.

Hope this kid impresses the staff and latches on. Please don't throw him into the ST meat grinder.

Originally posted by gold49digger:
I don't care as long as we get Brock out of here, he sucks ass.

This
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
As usual, an excellent post, OTC....and I had several of the same thoughts.

I did notice that he was rising up the NFL Draft Scout Rankings so he wasn't completely overlooked.

Also, speaking to his gifts, the thing which stands out to me more than anything is his quickness, which when covering slot guys is an absolute must (and why Rogers, at this point in his career, can't keep up with them). BTW....that is no knock on Rogers, who I felt was excellent as a cover guy on the edge in 2011 (and where I think he belongs this year).

There are only 3 ways to stop those waterbug slot guys...
1) knock the cr*p out of them at the LOS to disrupt their routes.
2) have an equally quick guy just shadow their every move.
3) do both of the above.

Clearly, the Niners' strategy is the first of the three... However, I can see the team putting Morris on the PS, coaching him up, and at some time during the season, bringing him up to the 53...especially if there is an injury to one of the older corners, a distinct possibility.

Good luck Daryll Morris!

I like your post, but we didn't often try to press slot receivers... just didn't. Rogers (for the most part) would just turn and run, and clearly struggled to change directions adequately. Everything else you said was spot on though. Rogers belongs at LCB... but Culliver was good there too, for the most part.

Tarell Brown (last year) was the smaller, quick corner that should cover the slot.. but he's pretty good at RCB and they probably didn't want to quickly just throw him into that role mid-season. I hope we have a new plan for this issue.. at least we added some possibilities.
A 40 time of 4.29 is smokin'! As you can see in the video, this is GAME speed. Brock will have lots of competition for his spot. Go Morris! I can't wait 'til TC!
Why the hell wasn't this guy drafted? He looks amazing.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Yow! That across-the-field trackdown is, like, one of my favorite defensive field sport plays, ever. Crazy. The mental aspect of making that play is really really attractive. That's a mental all pro play right there. Made me watch the rest of the highlights. This kid is a tackling machine (at Texas State).

Does anyone have real meaningful stats on him? Tackles? Assists? PD's? I'm not going to use the words "Daryl Green mystery clone" here at all. Not at all.

Except that, coincidentally, he also went to an off-the-beaten-path Texas school. Something in the water down there.

Hope this kid impresses the staff and latches on. Please don't throw him into the ST meat grinder.

4 INTs, 5 PDs, 61 tackles (46 solo), 2 TFL.
MM noted in his transcript that we didn't really get hurt by the smaller WR's. That it was the BIG tall, physical WR/TE's that killed us in the playoffs. I think both killed us. Harvin had a good game against us and that was probably the best game all season the Vikings played...flawless. Amendola absolutely raped our secondary...he was lined up all over the field to create mismatches and the dude was the Rams only real weapon and he only had one freaking collar bone. I can't remember how Welker did.

But yes, the taller TE's and WR's that played the slot absolutely pwned Whitner all year (for 14 TD's alone) and we don't have anyone who we can just line up speed-wise on the likes of the Amendola's-Harvin's-Welker's.

So we still have 3 big holes in our defense that we'll try to disguise with scheme:
  • NT - we have traditionally struggled against big, powerful RB's/OL's. I have a feeling we'll see quite a few more 4-man fronts and a very heavy rotation.
  • Slot CB - we don't have that slot CB who we can just plug in there and ask him to follow the tiny demons around all day long. So I think we'll go physical with them and jam and beat the $%^ out of them this year - no more free, clean releases to exploit us underneath and out of the backfield. Everyone take a shot at him within the 5.
  • Cover SS - Whitner is 6 inches tall and even slower now. Teams have been exploiting him for the past three years in the RZ/EZ and is an easy pick-on option for QB's under duress. Just throw it quickly to your TE or slot WR right down the middle of the field in under 3 seconds. Easy. So how do we combat that with scheme? Well, you could bring in Woodson to play FS and start Reid at SS or vice versa. Perhaps the team believes in Dahl or Robinson (both short too though). We could combat that by asking Whitner and our LB's to jam him early and often up at the LOS. We always have underneath coverage on these guys with Willis/Bowman but the TE/WR always gets behind them and Whitner is usually trailing as well. These three things are glaring holes IMO...scheme can fix two of them but I'm not sure how we fix the final issue. I do feel we'll go bigger at CB this year with Culliver and Nnamdi with Brown inside at the slot CB (like MM believes as well). Much more physical and press up at the LOS.

Originally posted by NCommand:

• Cover SS - Whitner is 6 inches tall

Cool! my penis is bigger than Whitner?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by NCommand:

• Cover SS - Whitner is 6 inches tall

Cool! my penis is bigger than Whitner?

We need you in that secondary, buddy! STAT!
Morris=Colin Jones......even if he can't play cornerback, I'd rather see him on special teams than Brock, that kind of explosive speed at gunner combined with guys like Skuta, Dahl and Moody along with Seely's coaching would have this special teams beasting more than they did in 2011.
I was hoping for a slot corner, but felt the pass rush was the bigger need. I thought they were looking to get the honey badger, but he went earlier than I thought and we seemed to be targeting Lemonier. I then thought they might be after Webb, but we didn't trade up and we happy to take Patton instead. Harbaugh said they were surprised he was still availale. He also said they did have some CB's targeted but it didn't work out. WhenI saw the UDFA's, I was hoping that Baakle was still holding an Ace to fall back on. I started searching for info on Morris. This is the only scouting report I found: http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2013/CB/Darryl-Morris.
Then I saw the you tube video and I was impressed with his speed and playmaking ability. He has a real shot to make the team if he plays like that at this level in camp. Here's an article about him signing and that we really pursued him and wanted to get younger at CB: http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/content/bartu-morris-ink-nfl-deals
Originally posted by jobiwon:
I was hoping for a slot corner, but felt the pass rush was the bigger need. I thought they were looking to get the honey badger, but he went earlier than I thought and we seemed to be targeting Lemonier. I then thought they might be after Webb, but we didn't trade up and we happy to take Patton instead. Harbaugh said they were surprised he was still availale. He also said they did have some CB's targeted but it didn't work out. WhenI saw the UDFA's, I was hoping that Baakle was still holding an Ace to fall back on. I started searching for info on Morris. This is the only scouting report I found: http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2013/CB/Darryl-Morris.
Then I saw the you tube video and I was impressed with his speed and playmaking ability. He has a real shot to make the team if he plays like that at this level in camp. Here's an article about him signing and that we really pursued him and wanted to get younger at CB: http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/content/bartu-morris-ink-nfl-deals

Thanks for the refernce...liked the last quote of the 2nd link:

"They wanted me a whole lot and they have a lot of older cornerbacks," Morris said. "They want to get some young talent in there. If it's not my year to be a starter, I can still learn from some really good guys."
Share 49ersWebzone