There are 224 users in the forums

Darryl Morris (2013 UDFA CB)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • lazy
  • Veteran
I have high hopes for Darryl Morris and I think that he'll end up being a good cornerback.
Originally posted by thl408:
Morris didn't get tested in his three snaps at LCB. He did come up to try for a big hit in play #3. The WR rolled off and picked up an additional yard, could have wrapped up. That's my brutal assessment of the 3 plays. The thing that stood out to me is that Fangio called for some pattern matching with Morris in the game. When pattern matching goes wrong, WRs can go uncovered as miscommunication causes breakdowns in coverage. Fangio was confident enough to dial up a not-so-basic coverage call.

"He's a smart guy. He's fast. He's tough," defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said of Morris. "So, he's got some good intangibles along those ways. He just has to learn to play the position and all the nuances that go at that, which is a tall order for him coming from a small school, just making the team, making the practice squad and then being called up is a major victory. And now to ask him to take this next step, we'll see how he does with it. And he's made slow but steady progress through the offseason."

Morris has been studying tape of Carlos Rogers from last season to help get accustomed to his new duties. He played a more traditional cornerback role in college at Texas State.

"There's differences, like angles and things," Morris said. "It's an adjustment, but I think it's an opportunity and I want to continue to work at in training camp."
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/tag/_/name/darryl-morris

The parts about him being fast and tough, we all saw in the video posted on page1. A good defensive coordinator isn't going to make a complex coverage call with a dumb rookie CB on the field. It's a small take away from the three plays, but it shows me that Morris at least had his coach's confidence during that particular moment.

This is awesome and I hope this post doesn't get buried in this thread. I think "...slow but steady progress throught the offseason" is exactly what you would expect and hope for (i.e. arrow up). Clearly the coaching staff has plans for Morris and has added additional assignments and the slot/nickle seem like the perfect fit for him. When you factor in the type of WR's he may be facing, you need high IQ, short-area quickness/burst/top-end speed, willingness to hit/tackle, make plays on the ball, etc. It sounds like Morris and Ward will both be competing for the same spot and with Ward recovering and Morris with a year of development under his belt, he's going to make it as difficult as possible to overcome him to be a starter.

PS: In 13 games in kick coverage in 2013, Morris had 7 tackles and a fumble recovery and impressed the coaching staff with his toughness and tackling ability per http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Speedy-Determined-Morris-Hoping-to-Win-49ers-Job-265823551.html

In practices – through organized team activities and minicamp – Morris has played both corner positions and nickel and received thumbs-up reviews from coaches. But he agrees that he might best be suited for the nickel position.

"Being closer, inside, you're around the ball a whole lot more," he told the 49ers website. "You get to be a part of the blitz, make more tackles and a chance to make more plays. That's where I want to be."

So if this is the 9ers plan, he'll be facing tough competition inside against Ward and an even more experienced Cox who played very well after resigning last year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:41 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Darryl and the improvement of some of our DB's - I got to give some credit to Ed Donatelle. He's a good DB coach and if we win the big one this year, he's one of the coaches I expect to become a HC if not a DC somewhere.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Darryl and the improvement of some of our DB's - I got to give some credit to Ed Donatelle. He's a good DB coach and if we win the big one this year, he's one of the coaches I expect to become a HC if not a DC somewhere.

No question about this!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Ed Donatell

Ed Donatell is in his second season with the 49ers after being hired as the team's secondary coach on January 19, 2011.

Working with assistant secondary coach Greg Jackson, Donatell helped guide the 49ers defensive backfield, in 2011, to 22 interceptions, which ranked second among all NFL secondaries. S Dashon Goldson and CB Carlos Rogers each recorded a career-high six interceptions and both were selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time. Rogers was named a starter in Hawaii, while also being selected Second-Team All-Pro. The defense finished the season ranked fourth in the NFL in percentage of attempts intercepted (3.9).

With over three decades of coaching experience, including 21 years in the NFL, Donatell has worked with several of the most highly regarded defensive backs in pro football history, including Ronnie Lott, Steve At**ter, LeRoy Butler, Darren Sharper, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins.

Donatell most recently served as the secondary coach with the Denver Broncos from 2009-10. Over the course of two seasons with the Broncos, the team ranked seventh in the NFL in opponent completion percentage (58.8) and ninth in passing yards per game (223.7).

Prior to working as the defensive coordinator for the University of Washington in 2008 and a special assistant for the New York Jets in 2007, Donatell served as the defensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06.

In his first season with Atlanta in 2004, the Falcons advanced to the NFC Championship Game and led the NFL in sacks (48) for the first time in club history. During his final year as the Falcons defensive coordinator in 2006, the club led the NFL in third-down percentage (30.2), while ranking sixth in the league in yards per carry allowed (3.8).

Donatell spent four seasons as Green Bay's defensive coordinator (2000-03), helping the Packers lead the NFL with 116 takeaways from 2001 to 2003. Green Bay advanced to the playoffs during each of those three seasons, including the 2001 and 2002 campaigns when they won the NFC North title.

In 2002, Donatell's defense set a Green Bay record with 52 sacks and led the NFL with 45 takeaways. That year, Sharper earned his second Pro Bowl selection under Donatell after tying for the NFC lead among safeties with seven interceptions.

http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/ed-donatell/ba4c0c2b-37b9-4480-bea9-ed279c6168b8
[ Edited by buck on Jul 7, 2014 at 7:52 AM ]
  • thl408
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,400 for thl408.
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is awesome and I hope this post doesn't get buried in this thread. I think "...slow but steady progress throught the offseason" is exactly what you would expect and hope for (i.e. arrow up). Clearly the coaching staff has plans for Morris and has added additional assignments and the slot/nickle seem like the perfect fit for him. When you factor in the type of WR's he may be facing, you need high IQ, short-area quickness/burst/top-end speed, willingness to hit/tackle, make plays on the ball, etc. It sounds like Morris and Ward will both be competing for the same spot and with Ward recovering and Morris with a year of development under his belt, he's going to make it as difficult as possible to overcome him to be a starter.

PS: In 13 games in kick coverage in 2013, Morris had 7 tackles and a fumble recovery and impressed the coaching staff with his toughness and tackling ability per http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Speedy-Determined-Morris-Hoping-to-Win-49ers-Job-265823551.html

In practices – through organized team activities and minicamp – Morris has played both corner positions and nickel and received thumbs-up reviews from coaches. But he agrees that he might best be suited for the nickel position.

"Being closer, inside, you're around the ball a whole lot more," he told the 49ers website. "You get to be a part of the blitz, make more tackles and a chance to make more plays. That's where I want to be."

So if this is the 9ers plan, he'll be facing tough competition inside against Ward and an even more experienced Cox who played very well after resigning last year.

Nice article. I think a realistic scenario could be Morris sticking on the team due to his ST abilities, then turning a corner in his third season. Similar to Brock, both are undrafted UFAs from small schools, so let's give them the same time frame. Once Ward assumes his intended role as SS, Morris may assume his role as nickel CB in 15-16. Slot CB is completely new to Morris so there's going to be a learning curve.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Nice article. I think a realistic scenario could be Morris sticking on the team due to his ST abilities, then turning a corner in his third season. Similar to Brock, both are undrafted UFAs from small schools, so let's give them the same time frame. Once Ward assumes his intended role as SS, Morris may assume his role as nickel CB in 15-16. Slot CB is completely new to Morris so there's going to be a learning curve.

Wouldn't that be ideal. I see it the same exact way. I still think he may give Ward/Cox a run for their money this off season so we'll have to watch him closely and break him down. But I firmly agree. I think one more year in a clearly defined role and an injury here or there, and we could be looking at the next "developed" CB. And like you said, it's a win-win b/c he has the time to properly develop WHILE contributing significantly on ST at the same time and facing epic receivers in practice such as Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson (imagine what he'll do for preparing our CB's), Patton, Ellington, etc.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Ed Donatell

Ed Donatell is in his second season with the 49ers after being hired as the team's secondary coach on January 19, 2011.

Working with assistant secondary coach Greg Jackson, Donatell helped guide the 49ers defensive backfield, in 2011, to 22 interceptions, which ranked second among all NFL secondaries. S Dashon Goldson and CB Carlos Rogers each recorded a career-high six interceptions and both were selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time. Rogers was named a starter in Hawaii, while also being selected Second-Team All-Pro. The defense finished the season ranked fourth in the NFL in percentage of attempts intercepted (3.9).

With over three decades of coaching experience, including 21 years in the NFL, Donatell has worked with several of the most highly regarded defensive backs in pro football history, including Ronnie Lott, Steve At**ter, LeRoy Butler, Darren Sharper, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins.

Donatell most recently served as the secondary coach with the Denver Broncos from 2009-10. Over the course of two seasons with the Broncos, the team ranked seventh in the NFL in opponent completion percentage (58.8) and ninth in passing yards per game (223.7).

Prior to working as the defensive coordinator for the University of Washington in 2008 and a special assistant for the New York Jets in 2007, Donatell served as the defensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06.

In his first season with Atlanta in 2004, the Falcons advanced to the NFC Championship Game and led the NFL in sacks (48) for the first time in club history. During his final year as the Falcons defensive coordinator in 2006, the club led the NFL in third-down percentage (30.2), while ranking sixth in the league in yards per carry allowed (3.8).

Donatell spent four seasons as Green Bay's defensive coordinator (2000-03), helping the Packers lead the NFL with 116 takeaways from 2001 to 2003. Green Bay advanced to the playoffs during each of those three seasons, including the 2001 and 2002 campaigns when they won the NFC North title.

In 2002, Donatell's defense set a Green Bay record with 52 sacks and led the NFL with 45 takeaways. That year, Sharper earned his second Pro Bowl selection under Donatell after tying for the NFC lead among safeties with seven interceptions.

http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/ed-donatell/ba4c0c2b-37b9-4480-bea9-ed279c6168b8

Nice thing about Donatelle is that he's just recently signed up with us for another 2 years. It really doesn't mean much. He can get out of the contract if he gets promoted to at least DC, but not if he's going for a position coach. that's about the only thing the contract is good for.

The San Francisco 49ers will keep a key assistant coach for the next two years.

According to an NFL source, secondary coach Ed Donatell has agreed to a two-year deal. His contract expired after the 2013 season. There was some thought in NFL circles that Donatell would leave for a defensive coordinator job.

Link
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Ed Donatell

Nice thing about Donatelle is that he's just recently signed up with us for another 2 years. It really doesn't mean much. He can get out of the contract if he gets promoted to at least DC, but not if he's going for a position coach. that's about the only thing the contract is good for.

According to an NFL source, secondary coach Ed Donatell has agreed to a two-year deal. His contract expired after the 2013 season. There was some thought in NFL circles that Donatell would leave for a defensive coordinator job.

Link
Niners can actually deny permission if some team wants to interview him for a defensive coordinator job.
Ed Donatell

Link

Exactly...continuity is HUGE for all players esp. given the more exotic defensive coverage schemes we run here under Fangio.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
I think a realistic scenario could be Morris sticking on the team due to his ST abilities, then turning a corner in his third season.

Exactly my thought process as well !

Given his talent, smartness and athleticism + Ed Donatell as his coach I have high expectations though with just 1 year on our team ( great coaching ) I think he is just not quite there yet to be our starting nickel corner.

I definitely cant wait for Training Camp
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Ed Donatell

Link
Niners can actually deny permission if some team wants to interview him for a defensive coordinator job.

I think they can deny him for a horizontal move, I.e. Dc to Dc, or position coach - which he is now - to the same position coach with another team. I didn't know they could deny an upward move from position coach to DC.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Ed Donatell

Link

I think they can deny him for a horizontal move, I.e. Dc to Dc, or position coach - which he is now - to the same position coach with another team. I didn't know they could deny an upward move from position coach to DC.
We did it to the Bucs a few years ago when they wanted to interview Donatell for DC.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826dcf94/article/bucs-blocked-from-talking-to-niners-secondary-coach-donatell
[ Edited by Hopper on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:18 PM ]
We did it to the Bucs a few years ago when they wanted to interview Donatell for DC.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826dcf94/article/bucs-blocked-from-talking-to-niners-secondary-coach-donatell

I think in some instances teams can do that after a certain date unless it's for a HC position. I'm guessing Donatell didn't want anything to do with Schiano and Tampa Bay and asked the team to be the bad cop and deny access. Typically Harbaugh promotes his guys for advancement even though it means losing them.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:37 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

I think in some instances teams can do that after a certain date unless it's for a HC position. I'm guessing Donatell didn't want anything to do with Schiano and Tampa Bay and asked the team to be the bad cop and deny access. Typically Harbaugh promotes his guys for advancement even though it means losing them.

Yeah, I think you got it right. I'm pretty sure if Donatell wanted to go to the buc's he'd have gone. The fact that he signed up for two more years with us tells me you are right on the money!
Share 49ersWebzone