There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

A.J. Jenkins and Quinton Patton

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Patton has better hands? W. t are you basing this analysis on?

In fact, AJ's hands are just fine. Remember, he was called E.T. in high school because he has giant mits. He did drop the only pass thrown his way in the pros, but that was because of nerves. AJ's a smooth athlete, with great deep speed and good natural hands. Let's hope he's conditioned himself to be stronger. The added strength should boost his confidence this season.

As for Patton, I'm not exactly sure why players like him slip in the draft. At the Senior Bowl, he showed off his receiving talents, determination and overall love for the game. He had a productive career in 2 years of college and reminds people of Reggie Wayne. The knock on him is absence of elite speed, lack of strength and inability to make tough catches. But I think this guy is a gamer, who loves to compete and who should make a strong push for playing time this season.

Not sure where you got this inability to make tough catches from but he made some ridiculous circus catches that left guys like Johntyan Banks and DJ Hayden simply shaking their heads, he came up huge in the clutch, his biggest issue was dealing with jams at the line and needing to add strength when going up against more physical cornerbacks. Hands wise, Patton is golden...3 drops out of 150+ targets is ridiculous.

Read it here:

In his two seasons at Louisiana Tech (after transferring from junior college), Patton had 2,594 receiving yards, 24 touchdown catches and averaged 14.2 yards per catch. Some NFL scouts compared the two-time All-Western Athletic Conference receiver to Reggie Wayne, a receiver who has had an outstanding career in Indianapolis. They like Patton's speed, size, separation and route-running skills, but question his ability to battle for contested balls. (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Patton-May-Give-49ers-a-Receiver-Worth-Saluting-205407751.html)

From the tape I've seen, I agree with you that Patton seems to have a knack for coming up with the ball. But after reading this, I figured there were "lowlights" that I haven't seen. After all, he did drop to the 4th round.
Originally posted by natrone06:
It's a 4th round pick. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Don't know where you're from sir but round these parts we read too much into EVERYTHING.

....and don't take too kindly to being told otherwise.
[ Edited by baltien on Apr 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM ]
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Patton has better hands? W. t are you basing this analysis on?

In fact, AJ's hands are just fine. Remember, he was called E.T. in high school because he has giant mits. He did drop the only pass thrown his way in the pros, but that was because of nerves. AJ's a smooth athlete, with great deep speed and good natural hands. Let's hope he's conditioned himself to be stronger. The added strength should boost his confidence this season.

As for Patton, I'm not exactly sure why players like him slip in the draft. At the Senior Bowl, he showed off his receiving talents, determination and overall love for the game. He had a productive career in 2 years of college and reminds people of Reggie Wayne. The knock on him is absence of elite speed, lack of strength and inability to make tough catches. But I think this guy is a gamer, who loves to compete and who should make a strong push for playing time this season.

Not sure where you got this inability to make tough catches from but he made some ridiculous circus catches that left guys like Johntyan Banks and DJ Hayden simply shaking their heads, he came up huge in the clutch, his biggest issue was dealing with jams at the line and needing to add strength when going up against more physical cornerbacks. Hands wise, Patton is golden...3 drops out of 150+ targets is ridiculous.

Read it here:

In his two seasons at Louisiana Tech (after transferring from junior college), Patton had 2,594 receiving yards, 24 touchdown catches and averaged 14.2 yards per catch. Some NFL scouts compared the two-time All-Western Athletic Conference receiver to Reggie Wayne, a receiver who has had an outstanding career in Indianapolis. They like Patton's speed, size, separation and route-running skills, but question his ability to battle for contested balls. (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Patton-May-Give-49ers-a-Receiver-Worth-Saluting-205407751.html)

From the tape I've seen, I agree with you that Patton seems to have a knack for coming up with the ball. But after reading this, I figured there were "lowlights" that I haven't seen. After all, he did drop to the 4th round.

I think that means he won't win many jump balls, or other 50/50 catch scenarios. He catches everything while he's open.
edit: double post
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Apr 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM ]
They just look similar but jenkins is clearly much faster. I think patton is more similar to crabtree with his great hands, good route runnings, and sneaky ability to get open.

So no harbaugh as not given up on jenkins.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Read it here:

In his two seasons at Louisiana Tech (after transferring from junior college), Patton had 2,594 receiving yards, 24 touchdown catches and averaged 14.2 yards per catch. Some NFL scouts compared the two-time All-Western Athletic Conference receiver to Reggie Wayne, a receiver who has had an outstanding career in Indianapolis. They like Patton's speed, size, separation and route-running skills, but question his ability to battle for contested balls. (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Patton-May-Give-49ers-a-Receiver-Worth-Saluting-205407751.html)

From the tape I've seen, I agree with you that Patton seems to have a knack for coming up with the ball. But after reading this, I figured there were "lowlights" that I haven't seen. After all, he did drop to the 4th round.

I've seen those too and a lot of the time the sources...."NFL scouts"......tend to be rather iffy. This is a guy who often had to fight through double coverage to make big plays in the endzone. As far as jump balls, he's not the most explosive leaper so I don't see him as someone you can just throw right over the top to and have him outjump the CB, that part I can definitely see, but then again.....how often are you going to throw jump balls to a 6 foot receiver in the first place?
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
They just look similar but jenkins is clearly much faster. I think patton is more similar to crabtree with his great hands, good route runnings, and sneaky ability to get open.

So no harbaugh as not given up on jenkins.

I see them as able to complement each other. If the 49ers aren't planning on having Crabtree aroound long-term, then Patton would make a reasonable replacement with Jenkins bringing the speed and the 49ers adding another WR through the draft next year, someone much bigger in height.


Jenkins brings great deep speed, Patton struggles to gain separation when going deep, Patton is a strong run blocker, Jenkins is iffy in that respect, Patton is a strong route runner, Jenkins needs to improve in that facet, both of them have good quality hands, both bring quickness and will be useful WR's for the 49ers going forward.


I feel like Jenkins will come on this year and when he does, it'll be like they had a 2nd 1st rounder this year. Having him contribute along with the other WR's will make this offense downright explosive. I like the potential for this offense, if Jenkins steps up and guys like McDonald and Patton contribute, there will be a ton of mismatches all over the field.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Patton has better hands? W. t are you basing this analysis on?

In fact, AJ's hands are just fine. Remember, he was called E.T. in high school because he has giant mits. He did drop the only pass thrown his way in the pros, but that was because of nerves. AJ's a smooth athlete, with great deep speed and good natural hands. Let's hope he's conditioned himself to be stronger. The added strength should boost his confidence this season.

As for Patton, I'm not exactly sure why players like him slip in the draft. At the Senior Bowl, he showed off his receiving talents, determination and overall love for the game. He had a productive career in 2 years of college and reminds people of Reggie Wayne. The knock on him is absence of elite speed, lack of strength and inability to make tough catches. But I think this guy is a gamer, who loves to compete and who should make a strong push for playing time this season.

Not sure where you got this inability to make tough catches from but he made some ridiculous circus catches that left guys like Johntyan Banks and DJ Hayden simply shaking their heads, he came up huge in the clutch, his biggest issue was dealing with jams at the line and needing to add strength when going up against more physical cornerbacks. Hands wise, Patton is golden...3 drops out of 150+ targets is ridiculous.

Read it here:

In his two seasons at Louisiana Tech (after transferring from junior college), Patton had 2,594 receiving yards, 24 touchdown catches and averaged 14.2 yards per catch. Some NFL scouts compared the two-time All-Western Athletic Conference receiver to Reggie Wayne, a receiver who has had an outstanding career in Indianapolis. They like Patton's speed, size, separation and route-running skills, but question his ability to battle for contested balls. (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Patton-May-Give-49ers-a-Receiver-Worth-Saluting-205407751.html)

From the tape I've seen, I agree with you that Patton seems to have a knack for coming up with the ball. But after reading this, I figured there were "lowlights" that I haven't seen. After all, he did drop to the 4th round.

I think he is another upside type pick at wideout. Like Jenkins I could see him having growing pains but being a solid young talent of the future that will develop.
I'm waiting to see what Jenkins does this year. If he makes no strides, it'll be very disappointing. His limited PT due to our great depth early on made it hard to evaluate him, but the concern was so he didn't do anything late in the season with opportunities -- regular season or playoffs. People think that by then, he should've done SOMEthing. That's a major concern, rookie or no rookie when you're a FIRST round pick. It IS a big deal, regardless of what people say, and I'm betting Jenkins knows that.

He has a chance though to prove it was just first-year bumps, and if he can win a job in the top 3, I'll be happy and impressed.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm waiting to see what Jenkins does this year. If he makes no strides, it'll be very disappointing. His limited PT due to our great depth early on made it hard to evaluate him, but the concern what so he didn't do anything late in the season with opportunities -- regular season or playoffs. People think that by then, he should've done SOMEthing. That's a major concern, rookie or no rookie when you're a FIRST round pick. It IS a big deal, regardless of what people say, and I'm betting Jenkins knows that.

He has a chance though, to prove it was just first-year bumps, and if he can win a job in the top 3, I'll be happy and impressed.

Agreed. If Jenkins wants to make an impact this year, he has to perform starting day 1 in training camp. Otherwise if Patton shows up and impresses, I would not be surprised to see him pass A.J. on the depth chart.
AJ Jenkins
So far he looks like he has added some good muscle. Plus I love how he catches the ball away from his body.
If Patton comes into camp with any attitude or preconceived notions he will get the Harbaugh rookie freeze out too.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I've seen those too and a lot of the time the sources...."NFL scouts"......tend to be rather iffy. This is a guy who often had to fight through double coverage to make big plays in the endzone. As far as jump balls, he's not the most explosive leaper so I don't see him as someone you can just throw right over the top to and have him outjump the CB, that part I can definitely see, but then again.....how often are you going to throw jump balls to a 6 foot receiver in the first place?

Umm isnt that what Flacco did with boldin like all of last postseason throw it up to a 6 foot reciever? just thought i would point that out but niether Patton or Jenkins is as strong as Boldin so its a mute point except for the fact that we have Boldin now...how very interesting indeed
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
Umm isnt that what Flacco did with boldin like all of last postseason throw it up to a 6 foot reciever? just thought i would point that out but niether Patton or Jenkins is as strong as Boldin so its a mute point except for the fact that we have Boldin now...how very interesting indeed

6'1, 220>>>>>>>>6'0, 204/6'0 185
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Not an indication of anything except we picked up an excellent receiver in the 4th.

End of story.

Excellent receiver? I doubt the dude will make the team!.. And I mean that kindly