LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

A.J. Jenkins and Quinton Patton

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Agree and disagree. I agree that they are similar in some ways and that they are in pretty direct competition for WR3 status. But I don't think drafting him was any kind of admission about Jenkins. I think the 49ers recognized that he was great value in the 4th round and knew we could use some WR depth and competition.

I'm hoping they are both around for a long time, and I know Harbaugh and Baalke are too.

What you said, plus some insurance against Crabtree maybe leaving for 'greener' pastures.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Maybe they don't think they can resign Crabtree so they drafted Quinton to pair up with Jenkins to become the next dynamic duo

this is more plausible

crabtree aint comin back and patton was there in the 4th round with great value so they scooped him up
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
This is a scene that will play out in training camp. Patton is a gamer, Jenkins came up soft last year, which is the worst thing you can say of anyone on a Harbaugh team

Who's roster spot would Jenkins take over for? Moss? Crabtree? Manningham? WIlliams? Ginn? They all had more experience. Jenkins didn't fill an immediate need for the niners and was more of a luxury pick. All this bashing of jenkins is hilarious.
"You have to wait 3 years before grading a draft!!"
"Players make their biggest leaps between year 1 and year 2."

Unless you're a WR drafted by the 49ers.
I think it's more an indication that he was a good value in the 4th, and there is a chance two of our corp could start the season on I.R.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Not an indication of anything except we picked up an excellent receiver in the 4th.

End of story.

Excellent receiver? I doubt the dude will make the team!.. And I mean that kindly
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Excellent receiver? I doubt the dude will make the team!.. And I mean that kindly

The great thing about Patton being drafted is you've got so many butt-hurt members of the "draft Justin Hunter" or "draft Cordarelle Patterson" club acting like 5 year olds.
Time for AJ Jenkins to display his burner speed for all to see come september.
  • thl408
Good value, creates competition, insurance for a WR duo that may leave in a year or two are all good points.

If the team is going to go cap space heavy on the OL and QB, then it has to get bargain contracts somewhere. They should draft a WR every year for as long as Kap is QB, till 4 are found. Then keep drafting for when the good ones leave, they get replaced by a youngster ready to go.
[ Edited by thl408 on Apr 29, 2013 at 8:56 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Good value, creates competition, insurance for a WR duo that may leave in a year or two are all good points.

If the team is going to go cap space heavy on the OL and QB, then it has to get bargain contracts somewhere. They should draft a WR every year for as long as Kap is QB, till 4 are found. Then keep drafting for when the good ones leave, they get replaced by a youngster ready to go.

Sounds like how the Patriots do it..

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Really hoping AJ Jenkins steps up this year like Crabtree in his second year. But I like Quiton Patton more, he seems much quicker than Jenkins and a better route runner. Whatever happens I hope one of them are a future #2 receiver after Boldin.

Yes, AJ has more top speed, but runs sloppy routes. The General is quicker than fast and seems untouchable in a phone booth - and I agree his routes are crisper than AJ's.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Really hoping AJ Jenkins steps up this year like Crabtree in his second year. But I like Quiton Patton more, he seems much quicker than Jenkins and a better route runner. Whatever happens I hope one of them are a future #2 receiver after Boldin.

Yes, AJ has more top speed, but runs sloppy routes. The General is quicker than fast and seems untouchable in a phone booth - and I agree his routes are crisper than AJ's.

Actually one of Jenkins biggest strengths is his route running
I really think AJ is going to surprise a lot of people this year...Don't give up on him just yet
  • thl408
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by thl408:

Sounds like how the Patriots do it..

Well then let's hit better in the draft than NE. Their WR draft history is weak..
I could see Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Jenkins and either Manningham or Williams being the 5 to make the team. If AJ is bad though he could be cut.
Share 49ersWebzone