LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 212 users in the forums

A.J. Jenkins and Quinton Patton

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I actually think that waiting until the 4th to pick up a WR shows Jim and Trent have confidence in AJJ.
I agree^^^^
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Not an indication of anything except we picked up an excellent receiver in the 4th.

End of story.

This.

Errbody needa calm down.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Not an indication of anything except we picked up an excellent receiver in the 4th.

End of story.

This.

Errbody needa calm down.
It's all about creating competition and let the cream rise to the top. I think both will serve the 49ers well.
I think it's a great pick for obvious reasons. Plus we all saw what happened the past 2 seasons with multiple injuries to our wide receivers. Besides, we all know Kaep can get them the ball on those "quick" sideline throws.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Really hoping AJ Jenkins steps up this year like Crabtree in his second year. But I like Quiton Patton more, he seems much quicker than Jenkins and a better route runner. Whatever happens I hope one of them are a future #2 receiver after Boldin.

End of story.

couldn't agree more
Originally posted by KegBert:
I actually think that waiting until the 4th to pick up a WR shows Jim and Trent have confidence in AJJ.

I don't know. Having Crabtree and Boldin already makes it seem like they wouldn't have to attribute extremely high value to adding a receiver early.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't know. Having Crabtree and Boldin already makes it seem like they wouldn't have to attribute extremely high value to adding a receiver early.

True but Boldin isn't a spring chicken and is on a one year deal, Manningham and Williams are both coming off of injuries and are free agents at the end of this season. Literally the only WR's the 49ers had signed through the 2014 season were Jenkins and Crabtree, hence it made sense to add another WR and I wouldn't be shocked to see them add one again relatively early in the draft next year.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

True but Boldin isn't a spring chicken and is on a one year deal, Manningham and Williams are both coming off of injuries and are free agents at the end of this season. Literally the only WR's the 49ers had signed through the 2014 season were Jenkins and Crabtree, hence it made sense to add another WR and I wouldn't be shocked to see them add one again relatively early in the draft next year.

Of course, and that's the kicker. At the same time, you've got some big-time prospects who could potentially be in the 2014 draft at receivers (Sammy Watkins - Clemson, Marquis Lee - USC, Jordan Matthews - Vandy, Austin Hill - Arizona, just to name a few). Who knows if we bring back Williams if he doesn't play well after that knee injury.

Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Agree and disagree. I agree that they are similar in some ways and that they are in pretty direct competition for WR3 status. But I don't think drafting him was any kind of admission about Jenkins. I think the 49ers recognized that he was great value in the 4th round and knew we could use some WR depth and competition.

I'm hoping they are both around for a long time, and I know Harbaugh and Baalke are too.

I heard da $#!t outta that(!). Go niners
Jenkins doesn't have the athletic arrogance that is expected from a wr to succeed. he might prove me wrong but i've felt that way since day 1

if you're wondering what athletic arrogance is...you know it when you see it, its ultra confidence, a swagger. crabtree has it, boldin has it, vd has it etc....from the brief clips i've seen of patton he def has it
Of course, and that's the kicker. At the same time, you've got some big-time prospects who could potentially be in the 2014 draft at receivers (Sammy Watkins - Clemson, Marquis Lee - USC, Jordan Matthews - Vandy, Austin Hill - Arizona, just to name a few). Who knows if we bring back Williams if he doesn't play well after that knee injury.

He's perfect for the 49ers too, he just tore his ACL.

To me, adding a WR this year made a lot of sense because its typically a position that takes time to develop, so if next year comes around and Boldin, Manningham and Williams are all gone, at leas they've got Patton with a year under his belt and Jenkins with two to add on to with draft picks.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM ]
This is a scene that will play out in training camp. Patton is a gamer, Jenkins came up soft last year, which is the worst thing you can say of anyone on a Harbaugh team
He would have drafted a receiver even if Jenkins got rookie of the year.
Share 49ersWebzone