There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Holes remaining in the roster after the draft

• teeohh
  • Veteran
Maiocco says Dial can play NT
Of the things listed Punt returner is my only slight concern.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Maiocco says Dial can play NT

320lbs he did play it in Alabama a bit as he was all over the line versatility is a 49er theme so I wouldn't be surprised.
Originally posted by SFrush:

= +1
1. As others have stated, our pass defense was one of the best in the league before Justin and Aldon got hurt. Carlos, Brown and Cully are 3 VERY solid corners, maybe the best set of 3 corners in the league. If Nnamdi can be anywhere near what he once was watch out! None of the guys are elite, but all are VERY talented. Play shouldn't drop off too much from Dashon to Reid, but Reid won't be giving 15 yds to the other team every game. Whitner was only exposed when the pass rush disappeared and we made sure that won't happen this year.

2. Again, as others stated, LMJ, CK, VD and AJ aren't slow. McDonald ran a 4.6 40. Soooooooo many weapons on Offense!

3. Kyle and LMJ got this. Can't be any worse than last year!

4. A swing tackle will make the 53 man roster, but won't suit up on Sundays (or Thurs or Mon). We will have 7 active linemen. Kilgore will be backup at Center and Looney will back up the Guards. If a Tackle goes down we shuffle the line and Boone goes to T and Looney comes in. This is by far our best option.
Originally posted by dschen:
I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about what we are going to do at NT. We picked up a lot of DEs, but with so much invested in ALL PRO LBs, they aren't going to be able to do a lot without an immovable NT in the middle of the 3-4. Like Glen Dorsey, but I'm not convinced he's going to be a dominant NT. That seems like a lot to riding on a high 1st round "bust" that was never a true 3-4 NT.

Williams/Dorsey or Dial should be fine. Sopoaga only played about 20% of our snaps on defense last season anyway.
Interesting that speed and McDonald was brought up. I suppose you missed that he was the fastest TE at the combine this year at both the short and long shuttle drills .

Oh and Vernon is the fastest TE in the game in a straight line (Vernon's 40 time btw 4.38 is still a combine record for a TE). McDonald is 4.69sec 40 hardly makes him a slouch either - at 6'5" and 265lbs - in fact it was good enough for 5th fastest this year.

I think we have enough pace at TE but happy if you can identify a couple of TE's that are faster ...........

I know that speed kills - as the saying goes - but I also remember a certain WR from Mississippi Valley State who might not have been drafted by the 49ers if speed was the only thing that mattered.
Originally posted by British9er:
Interesting that speed and McDonald was brought up. I suppose you missed that he was the fastest TE at the combine this year at both the short and long shuttle drills .

Oh and Vernon is the fastest TE in the game in a straight line (Vernon's 40 time btw 4.38 is still a combine record for a TE). McDonald is 4.69sec 40 hardly makes him a slouch either - at 6'5" and 265lbs - in fact it was good enough for 5th fastest this year.

I think we have enough pace at TE but happy if you can identify a couple of TE's that are faster ...........

I know that speed kills - as the saying goes - but I also remember a certain WR from Mississippi Valley State who might not have been drafted by the 49ers if speed was the only thing that mattered.
That's pretty fast for a man that big (McDonald's 40 time). I think we have three guys that will be playing nose tackle next year. We have Glen Dorsey and Ian Willams, and I think Quinton Dial pays the role of Ricky Jean-Francois from last year, backing up at both NT and DE. I don't think we have any glaring holes on this team.

We upgraded our pass rush, giving defenses someone to account for besides the Smith Brothers. We have depth at the linebacker positions. We have a lot of bodies to rotate on the defensive line. We have four guys at receiver that are known for having good hands. Crabtree and Boldin have proven it at the pro level. Quinton Patton and yes, AJ Jenkins have proven it at the college level. Kyle Williams can return punts. I think our speed at the wideout position will be provided by AJ Jenkins. He doesn't have elite speed, but he doesn't need to with all of the attention that will be focused on everyone else. In the secondary, worse case scenario, we will be about as good as we were the first half of 2012. After this draft, if we can get through training camp and into the season with our rookies remaining healthy, we will have the most talented and cohesive 53 man roster in the NFL. I also think every team in the NFL will be watching our waiver wire because there will be some solid players that we have to let go.
The only holes missing after this draft are the doughnut holes the rookies will be bringing to meetings.

Kyle Williams? Only thing is, we don't have a capable backup.
If there is one thing I am certain of, it is this. Harbaugh and Baalke have accumulated a boatload of talent on this squad. Harbaugh also values competition above all. If someone is not pulling their weight, they will find someone who will. End of story.

The holes on this roster are minimal at best. Not worried one bit.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
- Punt Returner
- Backup ILB that can step into the role if Willis or Bowman gets injured
- Swing OT

All of these "holes" are due to uncertainty of the current players on the roster. Will Williams be healthy to resume these duties? Is Moody physical enough for the ILB role? Are our UDFA or previous roster guys like Wiggins able to take over that role?

Everywhere else, we are stacked.
I thought we would get a kicker
We did. We got a pro bowl kicker in FA.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

I hear ya... I was hoping we would've nabbed Quinn Sharp with a 7th pick. He is a kicker that ALSO punts well. He could've been an emergency back up for both Dawson/Lee. http://walterfootball.com/draft2013K.php ... third one down the list.
[ Edited by LVJay on Apr 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM ]