LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Jaws on ESPN SportsCenter Special

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
I love how NOW everyone's an expert on the Pistol/Read option when most probably didn't know a thing about it before Kap came along.

Sorrry, it's a gimmick offense. Kap's an elite athlete all around and will make the plays, but we won't go a whole season running it and win a superbowl.

Speak for yourself. My son played in it at UCLA under Neuhisel so I'm very familiar with it. What make it difficult to defend among other things is it makes the defense play straight up due to the RB being lined up directly behind the QB. Allows you to run your complete offense and more without giving away your intentions.
I love how NOW everyone's an expert on the Pistol/Read option when most probably didn't know a thing about it before Kap came along.

Sorrry, it's a gimmick offense. Kap's an elite athlete all around and will make the plays, but we won't go a whole season running it and win a superbowl.

Speak for yourself. My son played in it at UCLA under Neuhisel so I'm very familiar with it. What make it difficult to defend among other things is it makes the defense play straight up due to the RB being lined up directly behind the QB. Allows you to run your complete offense and more without giving away your intentions.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Kap has the strongest arm in NFL. Kap might be the fastest running QB in NFL. He led the Niners 5 yards short of Superbowl win. In his 10th career start. Whats not to like?

Touch on the short passes and fade. Not trying to be a jerk, but just responding to your question what's not to like. Very interested to see how his offseason determination translates on the field. He has the physical tools to be the best QB in the league. Doubt he'll ever have a soft touch pass in his repertoire.

He was one, like the deep one to Vernon in the Packers game or the one to Gore on the run when he draws in the defense. I do think he needs to develop a nice fade pass though.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

This is what is being taught in youth leagues, high schools and colleges. It's been refined and opens up the field of play. What's going to happen is the QB will take more hits and this may be what puts an end to the formation. Just on a play to play basis if you have a QB that runs 4.5 and the secondary is sent deep, the front seven won't be able to make the play once the QB is outside the pocket. Let's get to what concerns 49er fans, Kaep, the man has a gun that's accurate and you can put him in "any" formation and it will be a mismatch.
Kap has yet to tap his full full potential ...his ceiling is scary , he's still learning to make plays with his arm and become more of an acurate passer, and with this offensive line, the skys the limit for our young signal caller

Jaws may have taken some mean shots to the head during his playing days ...but he's not too far off here ...Kap has the talent around him , and the coaching staff to develop a potent offensive attack, it's going to be fun to watch the next three years, our offense will develop into a razor sharp scoring maching and stroke fear into defensive coordinators every week
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
People who say that the Pistol is a complete style of Offense have no clue. It is a formation. Just like the Split Back formation, the Shotgun formation, the Ace formation and the I-Formation....IT IS MERELY AN ALIGNMENT which enables the offense to give the defense a Pass look while still being able to do damage on the ground. The type of PLAYS that can be run from this FORMATION are no different from the types of PLAYS that can be run from other FORMATIONS. The added advangtage to the Pistol FORMATION is that you can run Read Option PLAYS with a higher degree of success (especially if you have a QB as athletic as Kap).

THIS IS NOT A FAD. THIS IS NOT A GIMMICK. I'm a high school Offensive Coordinator and I have been using the Pistol in my Offensive playbook for 5 years now. I learned the basics from Chris Ault's clinic in 2010. The Pistol FORMATION is here to stay. This is what is what teams were striving to accomplish by running the Wildcat during 2007-2010 but until Kaepernick/RG3/Russell came, there were no QBs to effectively run it.
Originally posted by SaksV:
People who say that the Pistol is a complete style of Offense have no clue. It is a formation. Just like the Split Back formation, the Shotgun formation, the Ace formation and the I-Formation....IT IS MERELY AN ALIGNMENT which enables the offense to give the defense a Pass look while still being able to do damage on the ground. The type of PLAYS that can be run from this FORMATION are no different from the types of PLAYS that can be run from other FORMATIONS. The added advangtage to the Pistol FORMATION is that you can run Read Option PLAYS with a higher degree of success (especially if you have a QB as athletic as Kap).

THIS IS NOT A FAD. THIS IS NOT A GIMMICK. I'm a high school Offensive Coordinator and I have been using the Pistol in my Offensive playbook for 5 years now. I learned the basics from Chris Ault's clinic in 2010. The Pistol FORMATION is here to stay. This is what is what teams were striving to accomplish by running the Wildcat during 2007-2010 but until Kaepernick/RG3/Russell came, there were no QBs to effectively run it.

Preach.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
how the hell could you hear anything jaws was saying with herm edwards on triple mountain dew screaming in the background. jesus herm
Originally posted by cciowa:
how the hell could you hear anything jaws was saying with herm edwards on triple mountain dew screaming in the background. jesus herm

That is a fact ... Herm is annoying!
The upside is very big indeed.

However, the D will catch up with what we ran last year with Kaep. They get paid a lot of money to figure these things out. Doesn't mean he/we still can't be effective but I really do think its going to start to come at more of a cost.

Only thing I have a problem with is that this type of O puts your qb in more situations to get hit. Kaep is fast and bigger than RG3 but do we really think he will continue to run free forever?

I could be wrong but if I was a DC, I'd spy him with a SS or a quick LB and hit him every time we run the read option (if he keeps or hands off). This will take a toll and I don't want to see that happen.

Only time will tell but his upside and longevity could be limited if he's getting hit constantly

I believe Kaep will become top 10-15 all time when it's all said and done. At least if he doesn't get injured. He has too much talent around him and he can't be rattled. After seeing him comeback from the interception in the GB game, a 17 point deficit on the road in the NFCCG, and almost overcoming a 28 point deficit in the SB, this guy is going to be special. Regular quarterbacks don't do that. Also the fact that the those stages weren't too big for him even tho he had less than 16 starts is incredible. Quarterbacks can be good but when you have the talent around you and the heart to overcome anything is when you become one of the great ones.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rk1642:
The upside is very big indeed.

However, the D will catch up with what we ran last year with Kaep. They get paid a lot of money to figure these things out. Doesn't mean he/we still can't be effective but I really do think its going to start to come at more of a cost.

Only thing I have a problem with is that this type of O puts your qb in more situations to get hit. Kaep is fast and bigger than RG3 but do we really think he will continue to run free forever?

I could be wrong but if I was a DC, I'd spy him with a SS or a quick LB and hit him every time we run the read option (if he keeps or hands off). This will take a toll and I don't want to see that happen.

Only time will tell but his upside and longevity could be limited if he's getting hit constantly

Atlanta tried that in the playoffs and that didn't work out so well. You have to remember that Kap has experience with this offense in college. He has honed it down to a science and looks like a magician out there running the pistol.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by SaksV:

Preach.

Originally posted by Crown:

My dude!!! How've you been?!?!
Originally posted by obx49:
Atlanta tried that in the playoffs and that didn't work out so well. You have to remember that Kap has experience with this offense in college. He has honed it down to a science and looks like a magician out there running the pistol.

this is what I'm saying. also if the read option was easy to defend do people not think that in the last 40 years someone would have figured out how to stop it. it works cause it's very difficult to stop. i don't think that magically someone will figure out a way to stop it in 1 off-season.
Share 49ersWebzone