There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jaws on ESPN SportsCenter Special

Originally posted by theduke85:
I'm not really flattered by Jaws' comments -- instead, they come off as blatant hyperbole. I mean, I love Kaep -- I really, really love him. But to say he has the highest potential of any QB in the history of the league is just silly. I mean, like another posted mentioned, you'd have to say the same thing about Wilson, RG3, Newton, etc...

Kaep was superb last year. However, he also had an absurdly talented team around him. Let's just hope he can sustain success through next season, and then start making projections from there.

Kaep is way more gifted than those QBs imho. He will most.likely.improve which is the scary part.
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
Kap will last as long as it takes for defenses to figure out the Pistol, which seemed to be happening late last year.

We need to stick to a traditional WCO, keep Kap under center and run some designed bootlegs, mix in some Pistol every now and then. We can't win running Pistol as our primary offense.

This is dumb. That's like saying "this will work until teams figure out the shotgun formation or a 3 WR set."

I wish people would stop making these ridiculous claims. You can't stop the Pistol anymore than you can stop any other formation.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Kap will last as long as it takes for defenses to figure out the Pistol, which seemed to be happening late last year.

We need to stick to a traditional WCO, keep Kap under center and run some designed bootlegs, mix in some Pistol every now and then. We can't win running Pistol as our primary offense.

This is dumb. That's like saying "this will work until teams figure out the shotgun formation or a 3 WR set."

I wish people would stop making these ridiculous claims. You can't stop the Pistol anymore than you can stop any other formation.

Agreed! However, with the pistol and what makes it so difficult to stop is because the QB has three options and sometimes four depending on the formation. You can hand it off, keep it, keep it then pitch it (depending on the formation) or throw it. Combine that with a QB, a RB, and a an OL that's tops in the league and what you have is one of the deadliest and the most unstoppable offense in the league.

I would be thrilled if we never ran another pistol play ever again. I would much prefer we focus on Kap's greatest strength; throwing the ball from the pocket.
Originally posted by obx49:

Agreed! However, with the pistol and what makes it so difficult to stop is because the QB has three options and sometimes four depending on the formation. You can hand it off, keep it, keep it then pitch it (depending on the formation) or throw it. Combine that with a QB, a RB, and a an OL that's tops in the league and what you have is one of the deadliest and the most unstoppable offense in the league.

This. Don't confuse it with the likes of the Wildcat which takes away options. Pistol adds options.

Kap is much more dangerous from the pocket, IMO. His ability to scramble and pick up a first down when no one is open is a killer for defenses. Much more scary than silly pistol crap.
Jaws has boner for big arm qb. The fact that he can run is icing on the cake. Ever watched a game by Cutler or Rivers with Jaws as the commentator ...
Originally posted by pitseleh:

This. Don't confuse it with the likes of the Wildcat which takes away options. Pistol adds options.

I just want to state that I in no way endorse this quack's statements. He probabley doesn't even have a license to practice medicine.
I love how NOW everyone's an expert on the Pistol/Read option when most probably didn't know a thing about it before Kap came along.

Sorrry, it's a gimmick offense. Kap's an elite athlete all around and will make the plays, but we won't go a whole season running it and win a superbowl.
[ Edited by DrGonzo00 on Apr 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM ]
I love how NOW everyone's an expert on the Pistol/Read option when most probably didn't know a thing about it before Kap came along.

Sorrry, it's a gimmick offense. Kap's an elite athlete all around and will make the plays, but we won't go a whole season running it and win a superbowl.

You do realize that you're doing the same thing, right? lol

It's only a small portion of our offense though, a wrinkle...I highly doubt it will be the focus of our offensive attack.
I have no problem with it being a small portion of our offense, a wrinkle, as you say. But i felt like we became too reliant on it during the playoffs. Felt like we were more effective with Kap under center.

THANK YOU

As far as the read option goes..... its like option routs in the passing game...you can't STOP everything.... You don't want RICE over the top...you deal with him open underneath....you want to cover him over the top AND underneath... somebody else is going to have more room to work.

You CANT stop everything in football....and when you have an ELITE player they are going to make plays.

Just like SEA fans..... we are in no fear of teams " figuring out" the option. its pick your poison....You want the ball in Gores hands or CKs on a run....because your going to have to commit to stopping the inside run and have a fast QB on the edge, or stop the edge and have a bull in the middle.
And for the record, I'm no quack. I have a PHD in BS.
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Originally posted by theduke85:
I'm not really flattered by Jaws' comments -- instead, they come off as blatant hyperbole. I mean, I love Kaep -- I really, really love him. But to say he has the highest potential of any QB in the history of the league is just silly. I mean, like another posted mentioned, you'd have to say the same thing about Wilson, RG3, Newton, etc...

Kaep was superb last year. However, he also had an absurdly talented team around him. Let's just hope he can sustain success through next season, and then start making projections from there.

Kaep is way more gifted than those QBs imho. He will most.likely.improve which is the scary part.

I don't think its silly to say he has the most "potential" of any quarterback in the history of the game.

Who has / had more TANGIBLES than Kap in the history of the game?
I can only think of a few who come close. Maybe RGIII, Vick, come close, but Kaep has height on both of them, and nobody has a better arm, which is saying a lot. Kap was recruited by Harvard, which is not something many NFL quarterbacks can say; so he also has the intelligence, which counts as a "tangible".

Of course, "intangibles" are also a part of it. Joe Montana, Tom Brady, obviously had it. Other players like Shaun Hill survive in the league on intangibles alone. Hill can barely throw a ball 20 yrds, but we all know he has that "it" factor; the intangibles.

Kap is oozing with tangibles, over time, we'll see how many "intangibles" he has.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Apr 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM ]