LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

Jaws on ESPN SportsCenter Special

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Drives me crazy when people talk about the pistol as a fad! First of all, read option and pistol are not the same thing. I will agree at least as far as it may be a "fad" to have your QB carry the ball 10 times a game. RG, Cam Newton, and CK aren't guys that coaches are going to expose to those hits.

But the pistol? It's just a slightly shorter shotgun snap with more people in the backfield (usually). There's no reason for it to fade away. It's a brilliant innovation that allows for a far more creative running game.

This x1000!
  • CRUD
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
still cant throw a floater lol

This. I love the fact Kaep is our QB but at the same time I feel it's a little early to crown him undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. He hasn't earned that yet and defiantly needs to work on a softer delivery in certain situations but like others say his pocket presence, strong accurate arm and his running ability make him a serious threat to any D. I feel he's only going to get better with Harbaugh around. s**t, Boldin, Crabtree, V Davis....we're in fora treat next season.
If you're suggesting that NFL coaches are more equipped to scheme against the read option than college coaches, you're wrong.

I'm suggesting NFL defenders are quicker and stronger, thus better overall than those collectively found in college. It's why college scores are higher, at almost a touchdown more on average than NFL games.
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
Kap will last as long as it takes for defenses to figure out the Pistol, which seemed to be happening late last year.

We need to stick to a traditional WCO, keep Kap under center and run some designed bootlegs, mix in some Pistol every now and then. We can't win running Pistol as our primary offense.

Nominated for most ill-informed post.
Kap will last as long as it takes for defenses to figure out the Pistol, which seemed to be happening late last year.

We need to stick to a traditional WCO, keep Kap under center and run some designed bootlegs, mix in some Pistol every now and then. We can't win running Pistol as our primary offense.

Sure they can. The pistol is not an offense, it is a formation. Just like the shotgun. Now if you say that defenses will catch up to the read option, or some other offense run out of the pistol, then that is possible. But if you have the weapons, you can't stop everything.
Kap wasn't ripping off runs after the Packer game. They closed that seam and started spying, taking away that read option one.

If we stay in the read option and Pistol for a majority of the time, as was happening later in the year, he'll get figured out. I'm not a fan of that offense. Sprinkle it in to catch the other team off guard and off balance, but get Kap in 3-5-7 step drops, let the receiver run routes, use his arm or bootleg. We got too cute with that s**t last year and it cost us.

The Pistol and the Read Option are not one in the same.

The Pistol is not a offense, it is a formation, a Shot gun formation with the running back lined up behind the QB that allows for power running playcalling, something traditional Shot gun formations do not allow for.

We haven't even really opened up the for playcalling yet, wait til we have Hunter back and run the full house with Gore-Hunter-James and James motions out of the backfield and splits out wide.

We got too cute by throwing 4 straight times and not letting Gore touch the ball down the stretch. The Pistol is a key formation and far from figured out.
What's a great white shark doing on espn?
Originally posted by CRUD:
This. I love the fact Kaep is our QB but at the same time I feel it's a little early to crown him undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. He hasn't earned that yet and defiantly needs to work on a softer delivery in certain situations but like others say his pocket presence, strong accurate arm and his running ability make him a serious threat to any D. I feel he's only going to get better with Harbaugh around. s**t, Boldin, Crabtree, V Davis....we're in fora treat next season.

Why do people struggle with definitely so much?

Anyway yes Kaep does have the potential to be the greatest of all time. No quarterback, hell even athlete, has the God-given abilities this guy has. Will he fulfill this potential? Only time will tell.
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
Originally posted by CRUD:

Why do people struggle with definitely so much?

Anyway yes Kaep does have the potential to be the greatest of all time. No quarterback, hell even athlete, has the God-given abilities this guy has. Will he fulfill this potential? Only time will tell.

People are over blowing Jaws comments MAY be is the Keyword there CK7 does have the God given abilities, talent and coaching to accomplish it NO DOUBT. It's going to be great to watch him for decades to come
Jaws loves arm strength, and Kaep has a big arm. Couple that with his ability to run, and his performance in big games despite little experience, there is a lot to be excited about. I too think Kaep has the makeup to be an all-time great.

I think he is right.

KAep is special.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I'm not really flattered by Jaws' comments -- instead, they come off as blatant hyperbole. I mean, I love Kaep -- I really, really love him. But to say he has the highest potential of any QB in the history of the league is just silly. I mean, like another posted mentioned, you'd have to say the same thing about Wilson, RG3, Newton, etc...

Kaep was superb last year. However, he also had an absurdly talented team around him. Let's just hope he can sustain success through next season, and then start making projections from there.

Really, really !!
seahawk fans must be pissed
Jaws is the same goon that said Josh Freeman was the crowning achievement for the Bucs franchise on MNF. (I dont have a link, remember laughing like crazy when he said it).

I cant stand the guy as an analyst, hes nothing but a wannabe NFL "shock jock". Yes, he does watch alot of film and on occasion knows what hes talking about, but its so rare I cant bear to listen to all the hype he spews to get an actual nugget of wisdom in.

As far as his comments about CK? Big deal, werent people once saying Quinn and Vick and others had a chance to be better than Joe? Its up to Kap, he has the tools, has the line, has the weapons, seems to have the work ethic required to be great. But half a season and a SB appearance certainly does not put him in the conversation with Joe, Steve, Brady.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I'm not really flattered by Jaws' comments -- instead, they come off as blatant hyperbole. I mean, I love Kaep -- I really, really love him. But to say he has the highest potential of any QB in the history of the league is just silly. I mean, like another posted mentioned, you'd have to say the same thing about Wilson, RG3, Newton, etc...

Kaep was superb last year. However, he also had an absurdly talented team around him. Let's just hope he can sustain success through next season, and then start making projections from there.

Kaep is way more gifted than those QBs imho. He will most.likely.improve which is the scary part.
Share 49ersWebzone