Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jaws on ESPN SportsCenter Special

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Jaws is dumb

Because he thinks Kaepernick can be the greatest of all time.

because people hated him when he talked about Smith

Now we like him because he hypes Kaep up

I always liked Jaws and actually recall him saying some good things about Alex. He also pointed out a few obvious flaws in Alex's game, which didn't sit well with some of the people here. Those same people also tend to discredit Kaep to a certain degree.

I actually give Jaws credit. He played the position and knows what he's talking about, but like most talking heads, he has a tendency to overexaggerate both in praise and criticism. And what I meant to say is that Jaws is being dumb; it's just useless fluff that he's throwing out to make people listen to him.
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
I did actually watch the games and I can tell the difference between the offense we ran with Alex vs the offense we ran with Kaep.

Maybe others can't?

lol
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by JConnelly:
He just said that he thinks that Colin Kaepernick has the ability and upside to be the greatest QB of all time in the history of the game.

Thoughts?

still cant throw a floater lol

My sarcasm meter is on the fritz, so I have to ask - do you actually watch the games or do you just take in the highlights?
He can make all the throws.

Jaws is correct - Kap has the potential to be one of the best.
I misspoke in saying Kap will only last as long as teams don't figure out the pistol/read.

Kaps a legit QB in this league. I meant to say his effectiveness and our success is tied to teams eventually figuring out the offense. He won't fade away or burn out, he's not a flash in the pan. But he and the team can be that much more dangerous with him dropping back from center.

The majority of plays with Kaep at QB were run out of traditional, power offense formations. You need to quit while you're behind, because it seems you don't actually watch the games and only get your info from the internet.

The read-option wasn't run nearly as often as you're trying to make it seem, and the actual Pistol formation even less often. We ripped off huge plays out of the formation, so of course the media is going to act like it's all we do. Anybody who actually watched Kaep play knows this is a huge load of BS.

Kaepernick ran on designed running plays on a little less than 3% of his snaps. Wilson was at about 5.6%. RGIII was at about 11% and Newton was about 14%. The idea that Kaepernick is a "running QB" is one of the biggest myths in the league. What he is is very fast and when he sees daylight for a scramble or the few times he's in designed runs, he eats up the yards and gets on the highlights.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I have no problem with it being a small portion of our offense, a wrinkle, as you say. But i felt like we became too reliant on it during the playoffs. Felt like we were more effective with Kap under center.

You watched those playoffs and thought that our offense was the problem??!?! We scored 35ppg.

I see this a lot these days. My pet theory is that it has something to do with playing Madden. The Niner defense gave up over 30 points a game in the playoffs, the most any Niner Super Bowl team has given up BY FAR! And yet, some people keep talking about offense. Weird.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I have no problem with it being a small portion of our offense, a wrinkle, as you say. Bnout i felt like we became too reliant on it during the playoffs. Felt like we were more effective with Kap under center.

You watched those playoffs and thought that our offense was the problem??!?! We scored 35ppg.

I see this a lot these days. My pet theory is that it has something to do with playing Madden. The Niner defense gave up over 30 points a game in the playoffs, the most any Niner Super Bowl team has given up BY FAR! And yet, some people keep talking about offense. Weird.

Not uncommon for people who want to appear as knowledgeable but aren't to simply regurgitate the same uninformed opinion of some talking head.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I have no problem with it being a small portion of our offense, a wrinkle, as you say. Bnout i felt like we became too reliant on it during the playoffs. Felt like we were more effective with Kap under center.

Not uncommon for people who want to appear as knowledgeable but aren't to simply regurgitate the same uninformed opinion of some talking head.
it's a different angle ...i think he is saying with the poor defense along with opposing defenses figuring out the pistol we will be doomed...but Kaep is a lot more then a Pistol type offense
He's right.
However, the D will catch up with what we ran last year with Kaep. They get paid a lot of money to figure these things out. Doesn't mean he/we still can't be effective but I really do think its going to start to come at more of a cost. Only thing I have a problem with is that this type of O puts your qb in more situations to get hit. Kaep is fast and bigger than RG3 but do we really think he will continue to run free forever? I could be wrong but if I was a DC, I'd spy him with a SS or a quick LB and hit him every time we run the read option (if he keeps or hands off). This will take a toll and I don't want to see that happen. Only time will tell but his upside and longevity could be limited if he's getting hit constantly

This is more or less what I've been trying to say. I'm not completely crazy.

The majority of plays with Kaep at QB were run out of traditional, power offense formations. You need to quit while you're behind, because it seems you don't actually watch the games and only get your info from the internet. The read-option wasn't run nearly as often as you're trying to make it seem, and the actual Pistol formation even less often. We ripped off huge plays out of the formation, so of course the media is going to act like it's all we do. Anybody who actually watched Kaep play knows this is a huge load of BS.
Go back and read the yahoo article i posted. The numbers are there.

I already read the article, which was only talking about the playoffs. What about the regular season - you know, where Kaep took the majority of his snaps? You conveniently dismiss that and run to your one article which says we used the pistol a lot in some games where we moved the ball more and scored more points than before. Good argument, buddy.

You still don't understand what the pistol actually is.
I did actually watch the games and I can tell the difference between the offense we ran with Alex vs the offense we ran with Kaep.

Maybe others can't?

It was still a run-heavy variation of the west coast offense.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
it's a different angle ...i think he is saying with the poor defense along with opposing defenses figuring out the pistol we will be doomed...but Kaep is a lot more then a Pistol type offense

There is nothing to figure out when it comes to the pistol. That's like saying "defenses are gonna figure out the shotgun offense sooner or later."
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

There is nothing to figure out when it comes to the pistol. That's like saying "defenses are gonna figure out the shotgun offense sooner or later."

Exactly.

Teams need to stop the read option out of the pistol.
Kaepernick ran on designed running plays on a little less than 3% of his snaps. Wilson was at about 5.6%. RGIII was at about 11% and Newton was about 14%. The idea that Kaepernick is a "running QB" is one of the biggest myths in the league. What he is is very fast and when he sees daylight for a scramble or the few times he's in designed runs, he eats up the yards and gets on the highlights.

The above statement needs to be permanently posted to the front page of this website. The whole "running quarterback" misconception with Kap is turning into the biggest headache causing topic.
What's amazing, although not surprising, is how often it is mentioned in the media. Absolute ignorance.
I love the idea of that but at the same time I think we should slow down a little bit with all such lofty expectations so early.

Kap certainly has all of the potential to go down as one of the best but I think we should at the very lest want to see a full season and a superbowl win before this is even a discussion.