There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jaws on ESPN SportsCenter Special

Originally posted by obx49:
Atlanta tried that in the playoffs and that didn't work out so well. You have to remember that Kap has experience with this offense in college. He has honed it down to a science and looks like a magician out there running the pistol.

this is what I'm saying. also if the read option was easy to defend do people not think that in the last 40 years someone would have figured out how to stop it. it works cause it's very difficult to stop. i don't think that magically someone will figure out a way to stop it in 1 off-season.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Jaws is dumb

Because he thinks Kaepernick can be the greatest of all time.

because people hated him when he talked about Smith

Now we like him because he hypes Kaep up

I always liked Jaws and actually recall him saying some good things about Alex. He also pointed out a few obvious flaws in Alex's game, which didn't sit well with some of the people here. Those same people also tend to discredit Kaep to a certain degree.
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
I misspoke in saying Kap will only last as long as teams don't figure out the pistol/read.

Kaps a legit QB in this league. I meant to say his effectiveness and our success is tied to teams eventually figuring out the offense. He won't fade away or burn out, he's not a flash in the pan. But he and the team can be that much more dangerous with him dropping back from center.

The majority of plays with Kaep at QB were run out of traditional, power offense formations. You need to quit while you're behind, because it seems you don't actually watch the games and only get your info from the internet.

The read-option wasn't run nearly as often as you're trying to make it seem, and the actual Pistol formation even less often. We ripped off huge plays out of the formation, so of course the media is going to act like it's all we do. Anybody who actually watched Kaep play knows this is a huge load of BS.
Kap will last as long as it takes for defenses to figure out the Pistol, which seemed to be happening late last year.

We need to stick to a traditional WCO, keep Kap under center and run some designed bootlegs, mix in some Pistol every now and then. We can't win running Pistol as our primary offense.

completely dumb ....
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I misspoke in saying Kap will only last as long as teams don't figure out the pistol/read.

Kaps a legit QB in this league. I meant to say his effectiveness and our success is tied to teams eventually figuring out the offense. He won't fade away or burn out, he's not a flash in the pan. But he and the team can be that much more dangerous with him dropping back from center.

The majority of plays with Kaep at QB were run out of traditional, power offense formations. You need to quit while you're behind, because it seems you don't actually watch the games and only get your info from the internet.

The read-option wasn't run nearly as often as you're trying to make it seem, and the actual Pistol formation even less often. We ripped off huge plays out of the formation, so of course the media is going to act like it's all we do. Anybody who actually watched Kaep play knows this is a huge load of BS.

I seriously doubt Greg Roman is gonna have the niners go >50% pistol formation week 1 against the packers. while teams are figuring out how to effectively gameplan against it, the niners will be working on something completely new
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I've watched the Super Bowl over and over again. I still get jacked watching it. I turn off the game when we get to the seven yard line. The Ravens front seven were gassed in the 4th quarter. Bottom line is that they played a "tighter game" than the Niners. My only take on the last series is that Kaep should've improvised something on his own. Watch tapes of the last few years and it was the same Raven team but Flacco made a few plays in this SB, that' all. Kaep has what, 10 starts? He can fly as far as he wants.

I can't even get the far ... spotting a mediocre offense 28 points in nearly a half. I turn it off.
Love all who watch only the last play. Kap blew it.

We stuffed Marino's Dolphins (way, way way better) for 16. I give great thanks the Joe never had to take it a sub par Defense into the super bowl.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by SaksV:
People who say that the Pistol is a complete style of Offense have no clue. It is a formation. Just like the Split Back formation, the Shotgun formation, the Ace formation and the I-Formation....IT IS MERELY AN ALIGNMENT which enables the offense to give the defense a Pass look while still being able to do damage on the ground. The type of PLAYS that can be run from this FORMATION are no different from the types of PLAYS that can be run from other FORMATIONS. The added advangtage to the Pistol FORMATION is that you can run Read Option PLAYS with a higher degree of success (especially if you have a QB as athletic as Kap).

THIS IS NOT A FAD. THIS IS NOT A GIMMICK. I'm a high school Offensive Coordinator and I have been using the Pistol in my Offensive playbook for 5 years now. I learned the basics from Chris Ault's clinic in 2010. The Pistol FORMATION is here to stay. This is what is what teams were striving to accomplish by running the Wildcat during 2007-2010 but until Kaepernick/RG3/Russell came, there were no QBs to effectively run it.

Preach.

Good Thought (first quote)
No thought - Drive by cheap shooter (2nd quote)
However, the D will catch up with what we ran last year with Kaep. They get paid a lot of money to figure these things out. Doesn't mean he/we still can't be effective but I really do think its going to start to come at more of a cost. Only thing I have a problem with is that this type of O puts your qb in more situations to get hit. Kaep is fast and bigger than RG3 but do we really think he will continue to run free forever? I could be wrong but if I was a DC, I'd spy him with a SS or a quick LB and hit him every time we run the read option (if he keeps or hands off). This will take a toll and I don't want to see that happen. Only time will tell but his upside and longevity could be limited if he's getting hit constantly

This is more or less what I've been trying to say. I'm not completely crazy.

The majority of plays with Kaep at QB were run out of traditional, power offense formations. You need to quit while you're behind, because it seems you don't actually watch the games and only get your info from the internet. The read-option wasn't run nearly as often as you're trying to make it seem, and the actual Pistol formation even less often. We ripped off huge plays out of the formation, so of course the media is going to act like it's all we do. Anybody who actually watched Kaep play knows this is a huge load of BS.

Go back and read the yahoo article i posted. The numbers are there.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

I seriously doubt Greg Roman is gonna have the niners go >50% pistol formation week 1 against the packers. while teams are figuring out how to effectively gameplan against it, the niners will be working on something completely new

Here comes the Derringer.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Kap will last as long as it takes for defenses to figure out the Pistol, which seemed to be happening late last year.

We need to stick to a traditional WCO, keep Kap under center and run some designed bootlegs, mix in some Pistol every now and then. We can't win running Pistol as our primary offense.

completely dumb ....
i wonder if he watched the bears game, patriots game..pretty much every regular season game ?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

completely dumb ....
i wonder if he watched the bears game, patriots game..pretty much every regular season game ?

A lot of people carry the misconception that Kaep is "just a running QB" and the only offense he can run is the Pistol. I can't wait to see Kaep shut those people up.
I did actually watch the games and I can tell the difference between the offense we ran with Alex vs the offense we ran with Kaep.

Maybe others can't?
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by SaksV:
People who say that the Pistol is a complete style of Offense have no clue. It is a formation. Just like the Split Back formation, the Shotgun formation, the Ace formation and the I-Formation....IT IS MERELY AN ALIGNMENT which enables the offense to give the defense a Pass look while still being able to do damage on the ground. The type of PLAYS that can be run from this FORMATION are no different from the types of PLAYS that can be run from other FORMATIONS. The added advangtage to the Pistol FORMATION is that you can run Read Option PLAYS with a higher degree of success (especially if you have a QB as athletic as Kap).

THIS IS NOT A FAD. THIS IS NOT A GIMMICK. I'm a high school Offensive Coordinator and I have been using the Pistol in my Offensive playbook for 5 years now. I learned the basics from Chris Ault's clinic in 2010. The Pistol FORMATION is here to stay. This is what is what teams were striving to accomplish by running the Wildcat during 2007-2010 but until Kaepernick/RG3/Russell came, there were no QBs to effectively run it.

Preach.

Good Thought (first quote)
No thought - Drive by cheap shooter (2nd quote)

You're the same guy who just responded to someone else's post with "completely dumb" and nothing else, lol.

Forgive me for encouraging someone with a degree of expertise on a subject to continue to espouse his opinion. Oy ve.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
A lot of people carry the misconception that Kaep is "just a running QB" and the only offense he can run is the Pistol. I can't wait to see Kaep shut those people up.

Me too, he IS a legitimate QB. Does he have things he could improve? Definitely. Will he improve? Most likely, he's young, gifted, a hard worker, on a good team and he has the QB whisperer working with him. The last question is what is the rest of the league going to do when he puts it all together? I don't know, they had a hell of a time trying to stop him and he's nowhere close to a finished product yet.