There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
While I'd love to see him make the 53, I doubt it'll happen. Who would he supplant? Dial, Dobbs, TJE, or Tukuafu?

And if we didn't sign him, what are the chances that he'd clear waivers? There isn't the buzz around him like last year.

Yeah, he'd have to beat out Dobbs or TJE (neither add any pass rush but both are good against the run) which isn't inconceivable b/c Okoye is now on coverage units as well. And Tukuafu is only exclusively at FB now. So he's actually got a shot here but he is going to have to be heads and shoulders better than Dobbs or TJE for sure.
Originally posted by pd24:
While I'd love to see him make the 53, I doubt it'll happen. Who would he supplant? Dial, Dobbs, TJE, or Tukuafu?

And if we didn't sign him, what are the chances that he'd clear waivers? There isn't the buzz around him like last year.

Dobbs or Tukuafu. Didn't we cut Tukuafu last year and bring him back? I don't think Tukuafu makes it this year. Dobbs is ok, but if Okoye shows any signs of being legit, I would cut Dobbs.

This. TJE seems to be arrow up (but still adds no pass rush/push up field). But last year was his first extensive time on the field and he played very well (as did Dobbs).
Hopefully Okoye gets up on one of these guys. He didn't even get any real playtime last year in preseason, so hopefully he can make some noise this year. I think this is such a great story.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Dobbs or Tukuafu. Didn't we cut Tukuafu last year and bring him back? I don't think Tukuafu makes it this year. Dobbs is ok, but if Okoye shows any signs of being legit, I would cut Dobbs.

This. TJE seems to be arrow up (but still adds no pass rush/push up field). But last year was his first extensive time on the field and he played very well (as did Dobbs).

You guys didn't mention Dial and I haven't heard much from him. Is he so much bigger than Okoye that they're not comparable?
  • pd24
  • Veteran

You guys didn't mention Dial and I haven't heard much from him. Is he so much bigger than Okoye that they're not comparable?

I think they are but Dial might be big enough to play NT. Dial didn't look to good the few times he got in last year, I want to see him in preseason to see if he can stay on his feet and get a push.

I think they are but Dial might be big enough to play NT. Dial didn't look to good the few times he got in last year, I want to see him in preseason to see if he can stay on his feet and get a push.

Ya, I was never sold on Dial in the slightest.

Ya, I was never sold on Dial in the slightest.

Hard to say how much he's developed from last year but his versatility might be huge...he can play both NT and DE in our 3-4. That may be extra important if NT Ian Williams doesn't heal as quickly as we hope.
I really like Dial's size/versatility. He could play all across the line if need be. Another value pick from last year. Probably would have gone higher than the 5th round if he were healthy.

Back to Okoye, I want to see this guy as a special teams gunner lol. Supposedly he ran down Darrly Morris in practice. Morris is the fastest guy on the team, and 120 pounds lighter. That's crazy. Can you imagine a 6'6" 300 pound dude running downfield full speed looking to hit someone? Yikes!
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Back to Okoye, I want to see this guy as a special teams gunner lol. Supposedly he ran down Darrly Morris in practice. Morris is the fastest guy on the team, and 120 pounds lighter. That's crazy. Can you imagine a 6'6" 300 pound dude running downfield full speed looking to hit someone? Yikes!

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Oh OK...was just wondering if I missed a report about the Niners trying him out on offense as well. Thanks!

Not that any of us are aware of, but you know the zone ... soon there will be talk of him playing QB

Hey, he's played Rugby. Put him in the Wildcat and see if anyone can tackle him...he's used to the option so that would be very natural for him. LOL

If we keep him, that might actually happen... you know Harbs will want to scope out his versatility.
Oh OK...was just wondering if I missed a report about the Niners trying him out on offense as well. Thanks!

Not that any of us are aware of, but you know the zone ... soon there will be talk of him playing QB

Hey, he's played Rugby. Put him in the Wildcat and see if anyone can tackle him...he's used to the option so that would be very natural for him. LOL

If we keep him, that might actually happen... you know Harbs will want to scope out his versatility.

So epic...CK takes the snap, runs to the right side of the OT and just before he's hit, tosses it back to Okoye who's got some open field...oh look on the sideline...there is D. Morris sprinting stride-for-stride with him along the sidelines out of bounds...and wow, Okoye is starting to pull away from him. That's amazing for a big guy!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
So epic...CK takes the snap, runs to the right side of the OT and just before he's hit, tosses it back to Okoye who's got some open field...oh look on the sideline...there is D. Morris sprinting stride-by-stride with him along the sidelines out of bounds...and wow, Okoye is starting to pull away from him. That's amazing for a big guy!

I would love to see that and steamroll some DBs when they try to go low on him (rivals up north in particular)

lol....what exactly has Dial accomplished to be penciled in for an automatic spot aside becoming a 5th rd selection?
Originally posted by random49er:

lol....what exactly has Dial accomplished to be penciled in for an automatic spot aside becoming a 5th rd selection?

Also, will Ramsey count against the 53? or will we stash him on IR?

The D-line and WR competitions should be intense. We have probably 65 players that are 53-man roster worthy... going to be tough sledding.

• xcfan
  • Veteran
tight end