LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 171 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Damn. You know he's just vandalizing the p*ssy!

You know it. He's a ripped good looking dude that chicks will be naturally drawn to . . . then he breaks out the charming British accent and they're probably damn near helpless to resist. Time of your Mr. Okoye.
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/27/6516964/underdog-add-depth-chart-to-lawrence.html

Okoye hasn't had much seasoning since last year. He played a mere handful of snaps at the very end of last year's preseason games, then injured his knee in the third preseason game and was placed on IR for the year. He was able to attend meetings and watch practices. Prior to the game in London it was clear that his mental sharpness was as impressive as his physique (6-6, 305 pounds) and athleticism (weight-room champ; fastest lineman on the team).

But Okoye still hasn't played very much football, and it's getting into games and dueling with guards and tackles that will accelerate his learning curve. That's where the 49ers' d-line depth will be a hindrance. With so many other players ahead of him on the depth chart, it's hard to see him taking many preseason snaps this year as well.

The 49ers may be eying him for the practice squad, which would involve them cutting him at some point, exposing him to waivers, and then re-signing him to the practice squad. Perhaps that's why Harbaugh didn't seem eager to sing his praises.

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/27/6516964/underdog-add-depth-chart-to-lawrence.html

Okoye hasn't had much seasoning since last year. He played a mere handful of snaps at the very end of last year's preseason games, then injured his knee in the third preseason game and was placed on IR for the year. He was able to attend meetings and watch practices. Prior to the game in London it was clear that his mental sharpness was as impressive as his physique (6-6, 305 pounds) and athleticism (weight-room champ; fastest lineman on the team).

But Okoye still hasn't played very much football, and it's getting into games and dueling with guards and tackles that will accelerate his learning curve. That's where the 49ers' d-line depth will be a hindrance. With so many other players ahead of him on the depth chart, it's hard to see him taking many preseason snaps this year as well.

The 49ers may be eying him for the practice squad, which would involve them cutting him at some point, exposing him to waivers, and then re-signing him to the practice squad. Perhaps that's why Harbaugh didn't seem eager to sing his praises.

no way he makes it to the practice squad
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Giedi.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
this guy could be a monster , a reserve DE , a blocking TE or FB , Special teams ....I'm rooting for him

Me too. If Ian Williams goes on PUP, I think he makes it to the 53. It all depends on his development. These training camp is critical and I'm giving it a 50%/ 50% chance that if he's doing well - they won't play him at all in pre-season to hide him from the other teams.
Originally posted by Giedi:
this guy could be a monster , a reserve DE , a blocking TE or FB , Special teams ....I'm rooting for him

Me too. If Ian Williams goes on PUP, I think he makes it to the 53. It all depends on his development. These training camp is critical and I'm giving it a 50%/ 50% chance that if he's doing well - they won't play him at all in pre-season to hide him from the other teams.

I've also been rooting for him since he was signed, but I just don't see him making the roster when the team has such an embarrassment of riches at a lot of positions that some quality players aren't going to make the team. It's just hard to see someone who is still reportedly very raw getting a spot over someone way more polished and able to contribute.

I think even if the team loves him and wants to keep him around they'll take the chance he might not pass through waivers rather than use a roster spot.
Originally posted by trogdor:

I've also been rooting for him since he was signed, but I just don't see him making the roster when the team has such an embarrassment of riches at a lot of positions that some quality players aren't going to make the team. It's just hard to see someone who is still reportedly very raw getting a spot over someone way more polished and able to contribute.

I think even if the team loves him and wants to keep him around they'll take the chance he might not pass through waivers rather than use a roster spot.
i rather cut Dobbs or Williams for this guy. Those guys are worth a crap to how much potential Okoye brings. 49ers need to start taking these chances if they really like him
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

i rather cut Dobbs or Williams for this guy. Those guys are worth a crap to how much potential Okoye brings. 49ers need to start taking these chances if they really like him

We need to keep guys we know can play in the event we need them. We're likely not going to keep more than seven DL. Of course Cowboy, McDonald, Dorsey and Carradine are basically locks, as would be Ian Williams if he's healthy. We had just extended Williams and he beat out Dorsey before he got the cheap shot in Seattle so Tomsula seems to really like him.

So that leaves one or two spots for Dial, Jerod-Eddie, Ramsey, Dobbs Purcell or Okoye. I think Dial is close to a lock and Jerod-Eddie played well last year. And word was that Ramsey had an excellent mini-camp. It's going to take a great training camp from Okoye to make the final roster. With only 53 roster spots it's hard to keep guys around on potential based scholarship, especially at a position with a relatively high attrition rate.

I think Dial and Jerod-Eddie will get the last two spots
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jun 27, 2014 at 4:07 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

just the kinda chick to not have kids with; she'll pollute the athletic superiority of his bloodline. she's a starved-out, fake-boob bimbo, with an unathletic hip to waist ratio.
if he had a boy with her, he'd be on par with jerry rice jr.
I agree.. If I was him I'd impregnate me a big Samoan b***h. Or this big b***h right here:

• LVJay
  • Veteran
I agree he's a freak athlete and has a year of learning under his belt. He seems to be a fast learner on some things. Although, we'll get a better grasp of his development / abilities in TC and preseason...

Therefore, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1JMbSLPvc

• xcfan
  • Veteran
no way he makes it to the practice squad

if he gets few preseason plays, he could definitely make it to the PS.
to make an active, d-line roster, a dude has to know what he's doing and making some plays; if okoye still has no portfolio, nobody will sign him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Just like BJ Daniels. Seadderall will pick him up.

I think the potential is great enough to warrant a roster spot over more polished but ceiling limited players. Defense wins championships. And if he can contribute on the D-line rotation in pre-season then all the better. But you are right, this team is just a play or two away from a superbowl and we will be cutting players that we will be playing against this season, like we did last year with Cooper,Cam johnson, Haralson, and BJ Daniels etc...
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Williams looked like a monster before seadderall destroyed his body. Dobbs is a good player, but I agree - I'll take Okoye vs Dobbs. I think Okoye is a chance worth taking. His ceiling is as big as Colin's.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

We need to keep guys we know can play in the event we need them. We're likely not going to keep more than seven DL. Of course Cowboy, McDonald, Dorsey and Carradine are basically locks, as would be Ian Williams if he's healthy. We had just extended Williams and he beat out Dorsey before he got the cheap shot in Seattle so Tomsula seems to really like him.

So that leaves one or two spots for Dial, Jerod-Eddie, Ramsey, Dobbs Purcell or Okoye. I think Dial is close to a lock and Jerod-Eddie played well last year. And word was that Ramsey had an excellent mini-camp. It's going to take a great training camp from Okoye to make the final roster. With only 53 roster spots it's hard to keep guys around on potential based scholarship, especially at a position with a relatively high attrition rate.

I think Dial and Jerod-Eddie will get the last two spots

I wasn't to impressed with Dial but I agree, Jerrod Eddie is a lock. How can you cut a DT that can intercept the ball!
It will definitely be interesting to see how he plays in the pre-season.
Share 49ersWebzone