There are 186 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Reasonable. I've always said 3 years. The biggest hurdle will be if Okoye actually wants to get hit for a living by people bigger than he is.

He has other, more humane, options.

If he sticks and they move him to offense... if they keep him on defense, he'll do most of the hitting.

Hopefully, he can get the playbook / techniques down and they turn him into a freak.
Originally posted by LVJay:
If he sticks and they move him to offense... if they keep him on defense, he'll do most of the hitting.

Hopefully, he can get the playbook / techniques down and they turn him into a freak.

That would be nice. I'm not banking on it though, for this year.
Reasonable. I've always said 3 years. The biggest hurdle will be if Okoye actually wants to get hit for a living by people bigger than he is.

his solution to that is to the biggest thing around. very nearly accomplished

Offense? As a FB perhaps. But is he getting any work there or is that just fan speculation?

The fact that he has been added to the coverage units on ST now and the fake injury in the final pre season game to get him on I.R. to red shirt him, tells me Tomsula really wanted a crack at developing him for a year like he used to do across seas. Originally I thought he wa just a marketing approach for the NFL for the London game. But not anymore.

The bottom line is he's playing a position that does not require a rocket-science degree like QB or WR in our current offensive structure. He's playing DE. As intelligent as he is, he probably picked up the play book and calls a couple months into the program. From there, it was just about studying with the best in the game in Justin/McDonald and learing leverage and technique from 1on1 coaching from Tomsula himself. He's got an uphill battle no doubt esp. b/c of the guys in front of him on the depth chart but it would not surprise me one bit if he shines this pre season and makes a few fans eat their early-labeling words and some crow to boot.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Offense? As a FB perhaps. But is he getting any work there or is that just fan speculation?

The fact that he has been added to the coverage units on ST now and the fake injury in the final pre season game to get him on I.R. to red shirt him, tells me Tomsula really wanted a crack at developing him for a year like he used to do across seas. Originally I thought he wa just a marketing approach for the NFL for the London game. But not anymore.

The bottom line is he's playing a position that does not require a rocket-science degree like QB or WR in our current offensive structure. He's playing DE. As intelligent as he is, he probably picked up the play book and calls a couple months into the program. From there, it was just about studying with the best in the game in Justin/McDonald and learing leverage and technique from 1on1 coaching from Tomsula himself. He's got an uphill battle no doubt esp. b/c of the guys in front of him on the depth chart but it would not surprise me one bit if he shines this pre season and makes a few fans eat their early-labeling words and some crow to boot.

"Offense?" Not my idea

IMO, if he doesn't get cut, he'll be on the roster... practice squad won't be the answer. I rooting for the matey
Originally posted by Buchy:
http://www.london-irish.com/AboutTheClub

"Established in 1898, London Irish became a professional rugby club in 1996. There have been many developments over the years, including a move out to Madejski Stadium where London Irish now play all their home matches, but it is The Avenue that the Exiles find their spiritual home."

Academy:

https://www.london-irish.com/Academy

"The role of the London Irish Academy is to identify and develop talented young athletes from age 13 to 23 and engage them in a High Performance development programme. Players join the academy through a variety of routes and are assisted in their rugby development to attain their ultimate goal - joining the first team squad. This is underpinned by Education from a variety of partners, thus providing the necessary structure for each player to reach their full potential."

The academy is semi pro. They are not supposed to be paid, but they are trained on programmes to become professional. This is the equivalent of college football - UK university teams are NOT the equivalent of college football, the Club Academies are.

I'm from the UK, I played rugby from the age of 5 to 23, I know what I am talking about and know what the Academy's do.

This is just semantics I guess, and doesn't really ultimately matter, but the definition of the word "semi-pro" means you get paid money.
Was Okoye, as a teenager paid money by the London Monarchs, if "yes", then he was "semi-pro", if "no", then he was "amateur".
Olympic athletes are also mostly "amateurs", so that does not mean an amateur athlete cannot be among the best athletes in the world.

"Amateur" is too vague. "Semi-Pro" is not technically correct. So let's use the word "near professional".

So now the only relevant question becomes, "How old was Okoye when he played for the Academy?"

Obviously, a child at the age of 13 years old, cannot seriously be considered a "near professional" who is only polishing up his skills to get ready to play pro. However, a 19 year old can certainly be seen that way, but the article never tells us how OLD Okoye was when he played for this institution.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Buchy:
http://www.london-irish.com/AboutTheClub

"Established in 1898, London Irish became a professional rugby club in 1996. There have been many developments over the years, including a move out to Madejski Stadium where London Irish now play all their home matches, but it is The Avenue that the Exiles find their spiritual home."

Academy:

https://www.london-irish.com/Academy

"The role of the London Irish Academy is to identify and develop talented young athletes from age 13 to 23 and engage them in a High Performance development programme. Players join the academy through a variety of routes and are assisted in their rugby development to attain their ultimate goal - joining the first team squad. This is underpinned by Education from a variety of partners, thus providing the necessary structure for each player to reach their full potential."

The academy is semi pro. They are not supposed to be paid, but they are trained on programmes to become professional. This is the equivalent of college football - UK university teams are NOT the equivalent of college football, the Club Academies are.

I'm from the UK, I played rugby from the age of 5 to 23, I know what I am talking about and know what the Academy's do.

This is just semantics I guess, and doesn't really ultimately matter, but the definition of the word "semi-pro" means you get paid money.
Was Okoye, as a teenager paid money by the London Monarchs, if "yes", then he was "semi-pro", if "no", then he was "amateur".
Olympic athletes are also mostly "amateurs", so that does not mean an amateur athlete cannot be among the best athletes in the world.

"Amateur" is too vague. "Semi-Pro" is not technically correct. So let's use the word "near professional".

So now the only relevant question becomes, "How old was Okoye when he played for the Academy?"

Obviously, a child at the age of 13 years old, cannot seriously be considered a "near professional" who is only polishing up his skills to get ready to play pro. However, a 19 year old can certainly be seen that way, but the article never tells us how OLD Okoye was when he played for this institution.

I'll go with the semantics, but what I was driving at is that I don't think he got a salary, but he'd get all his supplements, training gear, meals, travel and accomodation fares etc covered. He would be on a personal training and conditioning program as well for weights etc.

In terms of his age, I believe he was 18/19 when he finished with the aceademy. He was born in 1991 and played in the 2010 under-18 final (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Okoye) so he would at least be 18.

Anyway, last post from me on the subject but hopefully the additional detail will help.
Does all this background matter anymore? He's been with us for a year. We know him. We see what he's doing everyday, how he's doing it. We'll give him a try at football this summer, see how many people he puts on their a**. If the number is less than 1, we have a problem.

"Offense?" Not my idea

IMO, if he doesn't get cut, he'll be on the roster... practice squad won't be the answer. I rooting for the matey

Oh OK...was just wondering if I missed a report about the Niners trying him out on offense as well. Thanks!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Oh OK...was just wondering if I missed a report about the Niners trying him out on offense as well. Thanks!

Not that any of us are aware of, but you know the zone ... soon there will be talk of him playing QB
Go Great Brit.

Not that any of us are aware of, but you know the zone ... soon there will be talk of him playing QB

Hey, he's played Rugby. Put him in the Wildcat and see if anyone can tackle him...he's used to the option so that would be very natural for him. LOL
http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=69854

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Lawrence Okoye would rather not watch film of his work from early last training camp. "I think I'd cringe if I saw it," the San Francisco 49ers' raw but intriguing defensive lineman said Tuesday after an OTA session. Okoye is confident that he will enter training camp next month a much better player than he was in his first NFL camp. "No comparison," said. "Not even close." Okoye is very much still adjusting to the game. He was a member of the British Olympic discuss team in 2012. The 49ers signed him last year based on his astounding size, speed and strength. Still, he was a major project. "You can be as fast and strong as you want to be, but if you don't know football you are going to get blown off the ball," Okoye said. Later getting hurt last summer, Okoye was able to "learn football" by watching hours of film daily and picking the brains of his coaches and teammates. "I know the game now," Okoye said. "It's a tremendous difference."

Okoye said he senses he is earning the respect of his teammates as he shows his growth on the practice field. He has a long way to go and is likely a candidate for the practice squad, but there is no doubt this physical specimen is starting to catch onto the mental side of the game as he enters a critical year in his development.

and...

During OTA practices a year ago, Lawrence Okoye was a physical specimen. Today he looks more like a football player."I couldn't get anything right because I didn't know what was going on," the one-time Olympic discus thrower said Tuesday after practice. "So at the snap you jump straight up because you're looking for the ball. Now I can stay lower for longer because, like I said, my mind's clearer."

Staying low is perhaps the biggest challenge for Okoye, who stands 6-6 and weighs more than 300 pounds. He has long legs – only offensive linemen Alex Boone and Carter Bykowski can rival Okoye's – and that makes gaining leverage an issue. The Croydon, England native has a few traits, however, that can give him an advantage. With apologies to Joe Staley, he's the most athletically gifted big man on the team.

Last week Jim Harbaugh mooned over the way Okoye more than kept pace with speedy return man Darryl Morris during a special teams drill. Morris, a 186 -pound cornerback, once ran a 40-yard dash in 4.33 seconds. His other advantage is strength. Discus throwing is predicated on sudden bursts of power, which is similar in a lot of ways to firing off the line of scrimmage for a five-second play. Okoye did not have any catching up to do when it came to the 49ers' weight room. On the contrary, he immediately stepped in as one of the leaders when it comes to hoisting big numbers.

Okoye, 22, said that OTAs are good for honing technique but that he's looking forward to training camp when he can show off his power. "Right now it's about looking smooth and being technically sound," he said. "When the pads come on you can show your physicality and stuff."

Finally, Okoye is very bright, studies hard and (pssst: here's the key) seems to truly want to be an NFL football player, which hasn't always been the case when it comes to athletes – whether it be wrestlers or track stars – who take up the sport. He has plenty going against him, including his relative lack of experience and a loaded 49ers' roster when it comes to defensive ends. In addition to starters Justin Smith and Ray McDonald, the team has Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Tony Jerod-Eddie and Demarcus Dobbs at the position. Will Tukuafu has been playing fullback exclusively, but his original position was defensive end and his ability to play multiple positions is an advantage when it comes to landing a roster spot. Okoye, meanwhile, spent 2013 on injured reserve. He and Carradine, a high second-round pick a year ago, are the only players in the list above who have not played an NFL snap. It will be interesting to see whether the leap Okoye has made from know-nothing first-year neophyte to second-year player is dramatic enough for the 49ers to keep him around for a third season.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/04/6457595/the-great-brit-49ers-okoye-staying.html#storylink=cpy
While I'd love to see him make the 53, I doubt it'll happen. Who would he supplant? Dial, Dobbs, TJE, or Tukuafu?

And if we didn't sign him, what are the chances that he'd clear waivers? There isn't the buzz around him like last year.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
While I'd love to see him make the 53, I doubt it'll happen. Who would he supplant? Dial, Dobbs, TJE, or Tukuafu?

And if we didn't sign him, what are the chances that he'd clear waivers? There isn't the buzz around him like last year.

Dobbs or Tukuafu. Didn't we cut Tukuafu last year and bring him back? I don't think Tukuafu makes it this year. Dobbs is ok, but if Okoye shows any signs of being legit, I would cut Dobbs.