There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Okoye will have a better cardio system than probably everyone on the roster having been semi-pro before discus, and I do not say that lightly. Not surprised that he's running down Morris. The discus training will make him very explosive.

I find it slightly strange that people think that learning the skills of a DE will be too much for him when he's a proven Olympic athelete, former semi-pro rugby player who likely would have gone pro and has been accepted for Law at Oxford. The guy obviously understands technique, body control and leverage and has demonstrated it in two sports.

"Okoye will have a better cardio system than probably everyone on the roster having been semi-pro before discus, and I do not say that lightly."
-- I think you ARE saying that lightly. When did Okoye play semi-pro Rugby?
"Whitgift School is a British independent day and boarding school in South Croydon, London currently educating approximately 1,300 boys aged 10 to 18."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitgift_School
That is where Okoye played rugby. He played as a man child, against a bunch of children. That's the equivalent of high school football.

"The guy obviously understands technique, body control and leverage and has demonstrated it in two sports."
-- He has demonstrated it at the high school football level. What is that supposed to prove? If Godzilla dominated in high school football, does that show he knows how to use body control and leverage, or rather does it show that Godzilla is bigger and stronger than everybody else?
If Okoye actually knew how to use leverage and technique, he would have won an Olympic medal. With a body like that, if you have any technique, you should absolutely dominate the lesser humans around you. It's not like there are a lot of 6'6 315 lb, rock hard, discus throwers in the world.

First off you SEVERLY underestimate the difficulty in throwing discuss. It usually takes several years of practicing the sport to simply be competitive. Okoye was dubbed Olympic worthy after only 3. In 3 years he went from not knowing the sport to the Olympics. Thats is impressive and shows the abiity to quickly retain knowledge and properly execute learned skills.

Secondly the competition he played against in Rugy in know way diminishes the argument that he may have more stamina as a result. There is far more constant action in rugby as compared to the NFL which only has about 12 minutes of actions in a 3 hour contest, by average. I am pretty sure there have already been reports of his amazing speed, and you must admit a guy that big chasing down a skill player is amazing. I don't really get why you feel the need to argue his post when while there were some error in information, the argument is still sound.

Some like to rain on others a parades I guess...
[ Edited by WINiner on May 31, 2014 at 3:55 PM ]
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/olympics-2016-lawrence-okoye-turns-1347215

"And he gave serious consideration to a return to rugby, his first love, having played for the London Irish and Wasps Academy sides as a teenager.http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/olympics-2016-lawrence-okoye-turns-1347215#ixzz33I23sOmP Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook"

London Irish is a pro club, as is Wasps. Playing in their academy system means you are semi pro, next step after that is to sign pro contract which you cannot do until you are 18 if I remember correctly. You play against the other academy development teams.

UK sports is not done through schools but through clubs.

Want to try again?

Sure, I'll try again.

First of all, there is no doubt that Okoye is an amazing athlete. No doubt about that, but I was responding to a post that said, "He has the best cardio on the 49ers", and paraphrasing, "He has proven body control and technique based upon throwing discus and playing rugby."
All I am refuting, is the idea that Okoye is anything more, than a tremendous physical specimen. I dispute that he has any more dexterity and/or body control and/or cardio than anyone else on the 49ers. So, with that being said...

This is the link to the London Irish "Amateur" (their words not mine) Rugy Football Club
http://www.london-irish-amateur.co.uk/junior/the-u18s.html

Not only do they call themselves "amateurs", but these are under 18 players. There is no indication that they are paid to play, which is probably not even legal.
"A semi-professional athlete is one who is paid to play and is not an amateur, but for whom sport is not a full-time occupation, generally because the level of pay is too low to make a reasonable living based solely upon that source, making the athlete not a full professional athlete."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-professional

We don't (or at least I don't) even know if he was in the "under 18" group, as there are many levels in that league, going all the way down to "under 13".
They say he played for them "as a teenager", which doesn't tell us which age group he was in.

Saying that amateur Rugby, is the equivalent of division one college football is stretching it, saying it approaches pro, semi-pro, or anything with the word "pro" in it, is really stretching it.
The "London Irish Amateur Rugby Football Club" hold raffles and barbecues to support their club. It sounds fun and all, but that's the type of stuff I did in little league baseball.

I knew someone who had played Rugy for the Portuguese national team, and he didn't strike me as having any abnormal athletic ability.
Like I said before, Okoye is a freak athlete, but he hasn't proven anything beyond that.
Ok, here's a question. Does okoye get a pass this yr if there is or are 1 or 2 guys on the bubble that are better than he is (same position)? Last yr he was a project, this yr does he have to earn the slot or will he get another yr to learn...meaning we cut one (or more)guy who was actually better? Shorter yet, exactly how long IS the learning process?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Ok, here's a question. Does okoye get a pass this yr if there is or are 1 or 2 guys on the bubble that are better than he is (same position)? Last yr he was a project, this yr does he have to earn the slot or will he get another yr to learn...meaning we cut one (or more)guy who was actually better? Shorter yet, exactly how long IS the learning process?

I think if he has progressed enough in 1 year to be in the running for a spot on the 53 there is no doubt they keep him and bump a guy like Dobbs. Why wouldn't you? That would be some pretty amazing development.

I don't believe Okoye has a chance at the 53. I think he spends the season on the PS. I don't think anyone will pick him up on waivers, assuming the Niners hide him well enough throughout the preseason and once he makes it to the PS he will refuse any and all offers.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Someone with his physical potential deserves at least 2 years imo. He's still very young.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Man I hope you're wrong. That much size moving that fast could equal a beast on special teams. I know he's terrible right now, but the guy's 22; and he probably has a better combination of size and speed than Jadaveon Clowney or Margus Hunt (he has like 30 pounds on Hunt). And the guy absolutely works his tail off.

When we play the Cawks, full steam ahead, diving at some ankles (the way they like to cheat)... I'm down with that.
Let's look at the depth. Can he make it? Does the ST coverage ability push him onto the 53? How often are we really going to need him in games?

RDE: Justin Smith; Tony Jerod-Eddie; Tank Carradine & Lawrence Okoye
LDE: Ray McDonald; DeMarcus Dobbs; Quinton Dial & Kaleb Ramsey

If Carradine is 100% healthy, he is the only lock. TJE & Dobbs played well last but do either play ST and what is their ceiling? Dial got a few snaps last year and he has the versatility to play both DE and NT and is expected to improve greatly in year 2. Ramsey? Okoye actually has a real shot here despite his overall NFL experience. I would imagine 1 year under 1on1 coaching by Tomsula is the equivalent of 4 years NFL experience?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Let's look at the depth. Can he make it? Does the ST coverage ability push him onto the 53? How often are we really going to need him in games?

If Carradine is 100% healthy, he is the only lock. TJE & Dobbs played well last but do either play ST and what is their ceiling? Dial got a few snaps last year and he has the versatility to play both DE and NT and is expected to improve greatly in year 2. Ramsey? Okoye actually has a real shot here despite his overall NFL experience. I would imagine 1 year under 1on1 coaching by Tomsula is the equivalent of 4 years NFL experience?

I think TJE is a lock. He played real well in the regular season when called upon. Was a pleasant surprise.
Originally posted by WINiner:

I think TJE is a lock. He played real well in the regular season when called upon. Was a pleasant surprise.

He did come out of nowhere but he adds zero pass rush and push. He's very good at playing off blocks and setting the edge well. But if the guys behind him right now can demonstrate a higher skill set and ceiling, it is possible we go another direction esp. if we plan to push the pocket more and rush the passer when we play more press and single-high S on the backend. But you are right...he's in the drivers seat.
Originally posted by WINiner:

He did come out of nowhere but he adds zero pass rush and push. He's very good at playing off blocks and setting the edge well. But if the guys behind him right now can demonstrate a higher skill set and ceiling, it is possible we go another direction esp. if we plan to push the pocket more and rush the passer when we play more press and single-high S on the backend. But you are right...he's in the drivers seat.
Spose I could see where your coming from there and concede that I can see your scenario playing out similar as you described. These kind of questions and such are why the NFL is a year round sport for me. I love the draft, training camp, all that stuff most find a bit boring. Allows insight to what your team is doing imo.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/olympics-2016-lawrence-okoye-turns-1347215

"And he gave serious consideration to a return to rugby, his first love, having played for the London Irish and Wasps Academy sides as a teenager.http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/olympics-2016-lawrence-okoye-turns-1347215#ixzz33I23sOmP Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook"

London Irish is a pro club, as is Wasps. Playing in their academy system means you are semi pro, next step after that is to sign pro contract which you cannot do until you are 18 if I remember correctly. You play against the other academy development teams.

Want to try again?

Sure, I'll try again.

First of all, there is no doubt that Okoye is an amazing athlete. No doubt about that, but I was responding to a post that said, "He has the best cardio on the 49ers", and paraphrasing, "He has proven body control and technique based upon throwing discus and playing rugby."
All I am refuting, is the idea that Okoye is anything more, than a tremendous physical specimen. I dispute that he has any more dexterity and/or body control and/or cardio than anyone else on the 49ers. So, with that being said...

This is the link to the London Irish "Amateur" (their words not mine) Rugy Football Club

Not only do they call themselves "amateurs", but these are under 18 players. There is no indication that they are paid to play, which is probably not even legal.
"A semi-professional athlete is one who is paid to play and is not an amateur, but for whom sport is not a full-time occupation, generally because the level of pay is too low to make a reasonable living based solely upon that source, making the athlete not a full professional athlete."

We don't (or at least I don't) even know if he was in the "under 18" group, as there are many levels in that league, going all the way down to "under 13".
They say he played for them "as a teenager", which doesn't tell us which age group he was in.

Saying that amateur Rugby, is the equivalent of division one college football is stretching it, saying it approaches pro, semi-pro, or anything with the word "pro" in it, is really stretching it.
The "London Irish Amateur Rugby Football Club" hold raffles and barbecues to support their club. It sounds fun and all, but that's the type of stuff I did in little league baseball.

I knew someone who had played Rugy for the Portuguese national team, and he didn't strike me as having any abnormal athletic ability.
Like I said before, Okoye is a freak athlete, but he hasn't proven anything beyond that.

http://www.london-irish.com/AboutTheClub

"Established in 1898, London Irish became a professional rugby club in 1996. There have been many developments over the years, including a move out to Madejski Stadium where London Irish now play all their home matches, but it is The Avenue that the Exiles find their spiritual home."

Academy:

https://www.london-irish.com/Academy

"The role of the London Irish Academy is to identify and develop talented young athletes from age 13 to 23 and engage them in a High Performance development programme. Players join the academy through a variety of routes and are assisted in their rugby development to attain their ultimate goal - joining the first team squad. This is underpinned by Education from a variety of partners, thus providing the necessary structure for each player to reach their full potential."

The academy is semi pro. They are not supposed to be paid, but they are trained on programmes to become professional. This is the equivalent of college football - UK university teams are NOT the equivalent of college football, the Club Academies are.

I'm from the UK, I played rugby from the age of 5 to 23, I know what I am talking about and know what the Academy's do.

I never have been high on Dobbs. I wouldnt mind seeing him not make the team in favor of younger players with more potential (Okoye, Ramsey, Dial)

Want to try again?

Sure, I'll try again.

http://www.london-irish.com/AboutTheClub

"Established in 1898, London Irish became a professional rugby club in 1996. There have been many developments over the years, including a move out to Madejski Stadium where London Irish now play all their home matches, but it is The Avenue that the Exiles find their spiritual home."

Academy:

https://www.london-irish.com/Academy

"The role of the London Irish Academy is to identify and develop talented young athletes from age 13 to 23 and engage them in a High Performance development programme. Players join the academy through a variety of routes and are assisted in their rugby development to attain their ultimate goal - joining the first team squad. This is underpinned by Education from a variety of partners, thus providing the necessary structure for each player to reach their full potential."

The academy is semi pro. They are not supposed to be paid, but they are trained on programmes to become professional. This is the equivalent of college football - UK university teams are NOT the equivalent of college football, the Club Academies are.

I'm from the UK, I played rugby from the age of 5 to 23, I know what I am talking about and know what the Academy's do.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Dobbs>>>Purcell>>>Ramsey>>>Okoye... until I see otherwise in TC and preseason.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Dobbs>>>Purcell>>>Ramsey>>>Okoye... until I see otherwise in TC and preseason.

Reasonable. I've always said 3 years. The biggest hurdle will be if Okoye actually wants to get hit for a living by people bigger than he is.

He has other, more humane, options.