LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by Team49ers:
That british freak of an athlete has wheels. I wonder if he ever does make the team, how the Niners will utilize his gifts.

I'd love to hear him mic'd up and talking trash after a big hit on special teams.

'ow d'ya like that govn'a? I roight knocked you yankee **nts on yoh bums I did

Aside from Dick Van Dyke (who was, of course, American) in Mary Poppins I haven't heard anyone speaking like this! Whilst I haven't heard Okoye, with his background I guess he is a fairly cultured chap.

Isnt that type of English accent from the lower class areas?
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by jordanroberts88:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Kevin Lynch ‏@klynch49

Highlight of #49ers camp was 300-pound Lawrence Okoye catching speedster Darryl Morris on KO coverage

Was Morris back pedaling?

Another highlight of the session: defensive end Lawrence Okoye, who weighs approximately 315 pounds, running down return man Darryl Morris during a special teams drill. Morris may be the fastest player on the team. Okoye, however, is so athletically gifted that he was more than able to keep pace. "He's been doing that for us – he's a big guy, he can run," Harbaugh said of Okoye. "It's fun to watch, isn't it? … love to see it."

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/05/28/6439868/ota-notes-kaepernick-talks-offense.html#storylink=cpy

Keith Reaser is probably now the fastest player on the team.
Originally posted by Niners99:

yes, but back in the 1930s
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
Thanks but I think I'll pass

On a more serious note, I think you under estimate the technical aspects of rugby and the knowledge required. It's also expected that the big guys in rugby can move around, Okoye will have a better cardio system than probably everyone on the roster having been semi-pro before discus, and I do not say that lightly. Not surprised that he's running down Morris. The discus training will make him very explosive.

As a DE he'll be bigger, faster and more athletic than most and he will cause a lot of difficulties for an O-lineman if he can get his hand technique and leverage right, and I expect him to be able to do so. This guy is 315lbs of muscle, he's not carrying useless weight in fat, dude is an athelete and smart to boot.

I find it slightly strange that people think that learning the skills of a DE will be too much for him when he's a proven Olympic athelete, former semi-pro rugby player who likely would have gone pro and has been accepted for Law at Oxford. The guy obviously understands technique, body control and leverage and has demonstrated it in two sports.

Will Okoye make the 53 man roster this year? I think probably not but if he's still with us next year don't be surprised.

Edit: I'd also note he's not been cut and we did not draft a DE or NT with a high pick which I kind of expected us to do, instead we took a chance on Lynch who we look to be moving to OLB and picked up Ramsey and Breslin in the lower rounds and FA.

That tells me that the front office is pretty confident in the D Linemen we have, and I think perhaps they are very confident in Tank and Dial and that maybe Okoye is seen as a potential replacement for MacDonald in a season or two.

I think Okoye will see a lot of action in pre-season. I think Dobbs is likely most at risk.

Great post!!! I agree!
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by Team49ers:
That british freak of an athlete has wheels. I wonder if he ever does make the team, how the Niners will utilize his gifts.

I'd love to hear him mic'd up and talking trash after a big hit on special teams.

'ow d'ya like that govn'a? I roight knocked you yankee **nts on yoh bums I did

Aside from Dick Van Dyke (who was, of course, American) in Mary Poppins I haven't heard anyone speaking like this! Whilst I haven't heard Okoye, with his background I guess he is a fairly cultured chap.

Well, Dick van Dyke was playing a chimney sweep in the film. Knock it on the 'ead Guvnor, ain't too many of them in the 'Arse of Lawds.
Nobody but Dick Van Dyke ever talked like that.

I hope Okoye takes a spot on the team, because anytime a young guy TAKES a spot it's a positive for the team.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
That's what it sounds like to me whenever I watch movies like Layer Cake, Snatch, Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels, etc. haha. Need a translator

It was in a movie. That means it reflects reality. Try to keep up.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on May 30, 2014 at 2:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Zachary:
put okoye at FB

He would jump, false start.........
I wonder how far he could discus throw russel wilson.

Someone photoshop it!
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 30, 2014 at 8:02 PM ]

Originally posted by Giedi:
Thanks but I think I'll pass

On a more serious note, I think you under estimate the technical aspects of rugby and the knowledge required. It's also expected that the big guys in rugby can move around, Okoye will have a better cardio system than probably everyone on the roster having been semi-pro before discus, and I do not say that lightly. Not surprised that he's running down Morris. The discus training will make him very explosive.

As a DE he'll be bigger, faster and more athletic than most and he will cause a lot of difficulties for an O-lineman if he can get his hand technique and leverage right, and I expect him to be able to do so. This guy is 315lbs of muscle, he's not carrying useless weight in fat, dude is an athelete and smart to boot.

I find it slightly strange that people think that learning the skills of a DE will be too much for him when he's a proven Olympic athelete, former semi-pro rugby player who likely would have gone pro and has been accepted for Law at Oxford. The guy obviously understands technique, body control and leverage and has demonstrated it in two sports.

Will Okoye make the 53 man roster this year? I think probably not but if he's still with us next year don't be surprised.

Edit: I'd also note he's not been cut and we did not draft a DE or NT with a high pick which I kind of expected us to do, instead we took a chance on Lynch who we look to be moving to OLB and picked up Ramsey and Breslin in the lower rounds and FA.

That tells me that the front office is pretty confident in the D Linemen we have, and I think perhaps they are very confident in Tank and Dial and that maybe Okoye is seen as a potential replacement for MacDonald in a season or two.

I think Okoye will see a lot of action in pre-season. I think Dobbs is likely most at risk.

Great post!!! I agree!

We drafted Ramsey.
Okoye will have a better cardio system than probably everyone on the roster having been semi-pro before discus, and I do not say that lightly. Not surprised that he's running down Morris. The discus training will make him very explosive.

"Okoye will have a better cardio system than probably everyone on the roster having been semi-pro before discus, and I do not say that lightly."
-- I think you ARE saying that lightly. When did Okoye play semi-pro Rugby?
"Whitgift School is a British independent day and boarding school in South Croydon, London currently educating approximately 1,300 boys aged 10 to 18."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitgift_School
That is where Okoye played rugby. He played as a man child, against a bunch of children. That's the equivalent of high school football.

"The guy obviously understands technique, body control and leverage and has demonstrated it in two sports."
-- He has demonstrated it at the high school football level. What is that supposed to prove? If Godzilla dominated in high school football, does that show he knows how to use body control and leverage, or rather does it show that Godzilla is bigger and stronger than everybody else?
If Okoye actually knew how to use leverage and technique, he would have won an Olympic medal. With a body like that, if you have any technique, you should absolutely dominate the lesser humans around you. It's not like there are a lot of 6'6 315 lb, rock hard, discus throwers in the world.
With his size , strength, weight, athletisisim and intelligence he could conceivably play DE to NT and anything in between. And special teams. Could he give Dobbs competition?
Man we got some Debbie downers in this biatch! Some of you act like it's rocket science to learn how to rush a passer....
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Okoye will have a better cardio system than probably everyone on the roster having been semi-pro before discus, and I do not say that lightly. Not surprised that he's running down Morris. The discus training will make him very explosive.

"Okoye will have a better cardio system than probably everyone on the roster having been semi-pro before discus, and I do not say that lightly."
-- I think you ARE saying that lightly. When did Okoye play semi-pro Rugby?
"Whitgift School is a British independent day and boarding school in South Croydon, London currently educating approximately 1,300 boys aged 10 to 18."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitgift_School
That is where Okoye played rugby. He played as a man child, against a bunch of children. That's the equivalent of high school football.

"The guy obviously understands technique, body control and leverage and has demonstrated it in two sports."
-- He has demonstrated it at the high school football level. What is that supposed to prove? If Godzilla dominated in high school football, does that show he knows how to use body control and leverage, or rather does it show that Godzilla is bigger and stronger than everybody else?
If Okoye actually knew how to use leverage and technique, he would have won an Olympic medal. With a body like that, if you have any technique, you should absolutely dominate the lesser humans around you. It's not like there are a lot of 6'6 315 lb, rock hard, discus throwers in the world.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/olympics-2016-lawrence-okoye-turns-1347215

"And he gave serious consideration to a return to rugby, his first love, having played for the London Irish and Wasps Academy sides as a teenager.http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/olympics-2016-lawrence-okoye-turns-1347215#ixzz33I23sOmP Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook"

London Irish is a pro club, as is Wasps. Playing in their academy system means you are semi pro, next step after that is to sign pro contract which you cannot do until you are 18 if I remember correctly. You play against the other academy development teams.

UK sports is not done through schools but through clubs.

Want to try again?
[ Edited by Buchy on May 31, 2014 at 4:33 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone