LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 204 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Put Okoye at WR just so he can run over Sherman!!!
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Put Okoye at WR just so he can run over Sherman!!!

TB so he can run a fly sweep at Dick boy!
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
if this dude makes the final roster, i'll blow all of you.

Thanks but I think I'll pass

On a more serious note, I think you under estimate the technical aspects of rugby and the knowledge required. It's also expected that the big guys in rugby can move around, Okoye will have a better cardio system than probably everyone on the roster having been semi-pro before discus, and I do not say that lightly. Not surprised that he's running down Morris. The discus training will make him very explosive.

As a DE he'll be bigger, faster and more athletic than most and he will cause a lot of difficulties for an O-lineman if he can get his hand technique and leverage right, and I expect him to be able to do so. This guy is 315lbs of muscle, he's not carrying useless weight in fat, dude is an athelete and smart to boot.

I find it slightly strange that people think that learning the skills of a DE will be too much for him when he's a proven Olympic athelete, former semi-pro rugby player who likely would have gone pro and has been accepted for Law at Oxford. The guy obviously understands technique, body control and leverage and has demonstrated it in two sports.

Will Okoye make the 53 man roster this year? I think probably not but if he's still with us next year don't be surprised.

Edit: I'd also note he's not been cut and we did not draft a DE or NT with a high pick which I kind of expected us to do, instead we took a chance on Lynch who we look to be moving to OLB and picked up Ramsey and Breslin in the lower rounds and FA.

That tells me that the front office is pretty confident in the D Linemen we have, and I think perhaps they are very confident in Tank and Dial and that maybe Okoye is seen as a potential replacement for MacDonald in a season or two.

I think Okoye will see a lot of action in pre-season. I think Dobbs is likely most at risk.

LOL. Ditto.

Very much agree...he's one of my dark horses in another thread and I wouldn't be too quick to judge him just yet. There is a long list of players expected to make big jumps this (off) season and he could very well be one of them.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by cciowa:
if our coaches can make this guy an ace for us,, the rest of the nfl should just mail it in to us!!

It is a big if.

Although, I have to believe, after a whole year has passed, that both Tomsula and Fangio are capable enough to (at the very least) teach him how to effectively bull rush a left tackle and get after the QB. I don't know, maybe Okoye doesn't have it in him... I hope I'm wrong (again)
i know Jay! i was just joking,, its a nice story but i can not see him making it. and if he does get cut, him getting picked up by someone else is not going to make me lose any sleep
That british freak of an athlete has wheels. I wonder if he ever does make the team, how the Niners will utilize his gifts.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

A horse can out-run and out-muscle any football player, but that doesn't make them a good football player.

Of course not, a horse doesn't have arms and hands?

Ever heard of the Denver Broncos

I thought that was a Wells Fargo commercial at first.
With the DL depth now, I don't see where he'd fit. Even if this turns out to be Justin Smith's last year, not sure how the Niners could keep Okoye...unless he gets hurt and goes on IRL. PS probably isn't likely, although it's an option. Interesting prospect, but don't know if he really has a future with the team.
Originally posted by Zachary:
put okoye at FB

I like!
Originally posted by Team49ers:
That british freak of an athlete has wheels. I wonder if he ever does make the team, how the Niners will utilize his gifts.

I'd love to hear him mic'd up and talking trash after a big hit on special teams.

'ow d'ya like that govn'a? I roight knocked you yankee **nts on yoh bums I did
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
if our coaches can make this guy an ace for us,, the rest of the nfl should just mail it in to us!!

It is a big if.

Although, I have to believe, after a whole year has passed, that both Tomsula and Fangio are capable enough to (at the very least) teach him how to effectively bull rush a left tackle and get after the QB. I don't know, maybe Okoye doesn't have it in him... I hope I'm wrong (again)
i know Jay! i was just joking,, its a nice story but i can not see him making it. and if he does get cut, him getting picked up by someone else is not going to make me lose any sleep

I feel ya...

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
if this dude makes the final roster, i'll blow all of you.

Camping to be first In line

In all good nature (no funny stuff), I just want to watch... I'll have to pass on the sweet stuff doe, but just let me watch, okay

Now I'm really rooting for this cat, GO OKOYE

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
With the DL depth now, I don't see where he'd fit. Even if this turns out to be Justin Smith's last year, not sure how the Niners could keep Okoye...unless he gets hurt and goes on IRL. PS probably isn't likely, although it's an option. Interesting prospect, but don't know if he really has a future with the team.

I hope he's improved to the point where he can at least make the practice squad. No way to tell where he's at now, but we do a good job of developing our DL depth. With his gifts, I hope if he reaches the level where he can contribute, he does that contributing with us and not another team. It'd be disappointing to see him develop into a good player only to see his talents on display elsewhere.
Think he could beat out Dobbs due to his Special Teams skills?
We won't know what we have until opposing teams start cut blocking him and going at his legs. Guys with long legs have problems with that. Although, Aldon is excellent at avoiding them.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 60sFan:
We won't know what we have until opposing teams start cut blocking him and going at his legs. Guys with long legs have problems with that. Although, Aldon is excellent at avoiding them.

imo, okoye is going to have big problems with cut blocks. it's why he should be playing offense.

he better be a quick study.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by Team49ers:

I'd love to hear him mic'd up and talking trash after a big hit on special teams.

'ow d'ya like that govn'a? I roight knocked you yankee **nts on yoh bums I did

Aside from Dick Van Dyke (who was, of course, American) in Mary Poppins I haven't heard anyone speaking like this! Whilst I haven't heard Okoye, with his background I guess he is a fairly cultured chap.
Share 49ersWebzone