There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

we trade him to the Chiefs yet?
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^ Not true at all.

He came in @ the 9:27 mark of the 4Q. He played RDE and only got 3 snaps. The first he drove his OT 7 yards and led to a knock-down pass for our #64. The next one he pushed his guy back 5 yards. The final play he pushed up 3 yards and slanted right with the play. He seemed to have much better leverage this game and force off the LOS and he certainly seemed to have his eyes on the ball. Sadly. after that, Daniels had the long TD drive and in the 2 minute defense, Fangio didn't have him out there. So even though he came in earlier, he only got one series.

Okay, sounds exciting. We'll take a look later. Maybe a sea change from Broncos.
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^ Not true at all.

He came in @ the 9:27 mark of the 4Q. He played RDE and only got 3 snaps. The first he drove his OT 7 yards and led to a knock-down pass for our #64. The next one he pushed his guy back 5 yards. The final play he pushed up 3 yards and slanted right with the play. He seemed to have much better leverage this game and force off the LOS and he certainly seemed to have his eyes on the ball. Sadly. after that, Daniels had the long TD drive and in the 2 minute defense, Fangio didn't have him out there. So even though he came in earlier, he only got one series.

just because the OT moved back 7 yards doesnt mean he pushed him 7 yards... Part of playing pass protection is dropping back and controlling the situation. I never felt Okoye actually had any control. His overall speed and strength kept him from getting manhandled, but it just seemed like Divens and Jerod-Eddie had a more instinctive burst off the snap than Okoye did. That'll change has he gets more reps. It seems like he's thinking too much maybe.
Cut him already. Cute story but he is not a football player don't even want him on the practice squad.
Originally posted by mod:
just because the OT moved back 7 yards doesnt mean he pushed him 7 yards... Part of playing pass protection is dropping back and controlling the situation. I never felt Okoye actually had any control. His overall speed and strength kept him from getting manhandled, but it just seemed like Divens and Jerod-Eddie had a more instinctive burst off the snap than Okoye did. That'll change has he gets more reps. It seems like he's thinking too much maybe.

Watch the play. He not only pushed him back but timed his jump well along with #64 (the NT who did get credit for the knock down). Small sample size but I could see he was asked to "rush" more these snaps. He talked about that in an interview after the last game. But yeah, long way to go but not as bad" as some are saying...just very minimal chances. It will be fun to watch him play a full game and see if he gets better and better. Or gasses and flames out.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by mod:
just because the OT moved back 7 yards doesnt mean he pushed him 7 yards... Part of playing pass protection is dropping back and controlling the situation. I never felt Okoye actually had any control. His overall speed and strength kept him from getting manhandled, but it just seemed like Divens and Jerod-Eddie had a more instinctive burst off the snap than Okoye did. That'll change has he gets more reps. It seems like he's thinking too much maybe.

Watch the play. He not only pushed him back but timed his jump well along with #64 (the NT who did get credit for the knock down). Small sample size but I could see he was asked to "rush" more these snaps. He talked about that in an interview after the last game. But yeah, long way to go but not as bad" as some are saying...just very minimal chances. It will be fun to watch him play a full game and see if he gets better and better. Or gasses and flames out.

Game 4 is the game we should find out if he's worth anything.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/08/25/lawrence-okoye-makes-a-stride-in-49ers-34-14-win/
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,549
he looked a little more explosive, but still looked like garbage because he plays too high. he gets no leverage.
he sees very little once the ball is snapped. but, he is approaching the point when you'd say he's a really bad player.
that's progress from being a complete invalid of a player a couple months ago.
British import Okoye injures knee, hasn't considered likelihood of his release

POSTED BY CAM INMAN ON AUGUST 25TH, 2013 AT 10:01 PM | CATEGORIZED AS UNCATEGORIZED

Defensive tackle Lawrence Okoye, the former English discus thrower, injured his right knee late in the game and walked gingerly into the X-ray room after the 49ers' 34-14 exhibition win over the Minnesota Vikings.

Okoye said he "hasn't considered or given any thought" that he may have played his final game in a 49ers uniform, at least for this season.

If Okoye fails to make Tuesday's roster cutdown, the 49ers conceivably could waive him injured then put him on injured reserve to keep him around on an educational basis this season.

But Okoye came away encouraged by what he called his best game so far — a sample size that included only 10 snaps in the previous two exhibitions combined.

"I'm just gradually learning to use what I've got," said Okoye, who had no previous football experience before signing with the 49ers in May. "It's no coincidence I had my best practice week before this game."

Okoye said he's hoping to do the same this week before Thursday's final exhibition at San Diego. But he first must survive the 15 cuts that will be made before Tuesday's 1 p.m. deadline.

"I've just wanted to earn the respect of my teammates and coaches, and I feel I'm doing that every day I take another step up the ladder," Okoye said.

Okoye thought he made his first career tackle in the fourth quarter Sunday but that was not reflected in the initial stat sheet. He downplayed his knee injury that occured when he was "rushing the guard and the center came back, popped my hip and I fell on the knee)."
Originally posted by stunder49:
we trade him to the Chiefs yet?

trade pending for a 1st rounder
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,682
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

49ers DL Lawrence Okoye banged his right knee late in last night's game. He's on crutches and wouldn't be able to play Thursday.
Fake injury. Probably having him play it up so the can release him then stash his ass on the PS cuz no one will want to claim an injured player. Baalke you sly son of a b***h
Originally posted by valrod33:
Fake injury. Probably having him play it up so the can release him then stash his ass on the PS cuz no one will want to claim an injured player. Baalke you sly son of a b***h

I think he'd pass waivers with or without the injury. I was hoping he'd show more this preseason, but he is a long way away. Still I think we should keep him on our PS and give him a real shot to make our roster next year.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Fake injury. Probably having him play it up so the can release him then stash his ass on the PS cuz no one will want to claim an injured player. Baalke you sly son of a b***h

wrong....this was The Lord-God Tolzien's final blessing to us...
BYE BYE