LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 198 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm still shocked we didn't draft Okoye over special teams rando Moody or fatty guard Bykowski. Those guys are replaceable and may not make the team. Okoye is one of a kind.

Oh well, glad it worked out!
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Will be interesting to see how he does, too bad writers aren't allowed in practice to report
Anyone kind of hoping they try him out at TE? Probably more opportunity there, and with his combination of size/speed/power, and his rugby background, he could be very interesting at TE - especially in the Red Zone.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
Anyone kind of hoping they try him out at TE? Probably more opportunity there, and with his combination of size/speed/power, and his rugby background, he could be very interesting at TE - especially in the Red Zone.

Guy is around 300lbs
maybe fullback
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Sourball:
Anyone know if he is related to former KC Chief Christian Okoye?

They called Christian the "Nigerian Nightmare". They might want to call this guy, "The Nigerian is so scary I soiled my shorts".

The Oxford tosser

Where's the birth certificate
Originally posted by jimrat:
Guy is around 300lbs

I think he will likely slim down a bit, building mass for discus is different than football. Less cardio! But really, at say 285-290 and 4.75 speed, why is his weight an issue at TE? Inline blocking at 290? Sounds good! Speed down the field at 4.75? Good enough for me!
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I'm still shocked we didn't draft Okoye over special teams rando Moody or fatty guard Bykowski. Those guys are replaceable and may not make the team. Okoye is one of a kind.

Oh well, glad it worked out!

This is what happens when a monster human being with no skill tries to compete with a skilled athlete...

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Never played football?

he hasnt but he has played rugby so he use to the physicality of the sport.

If he makes the team he will primarily be a situational pass rusher in his first year or just not be suited up for games. But if all he has to do is break tackles and get the quarterback than he should make an impact. PLUS....we have the best d-line coach in the league and you know tomsula was the person in baalke's ear telling him to pick this kid up!

Also, have you seen this guy? he looks like he is 270 but he is 305 because he is just pure muscle! crazy potential!
  • thl408
I'm excited to see the outcome of this, but I would not be one bit surprised if he amounts to zilch. It takes more than being a great athlete to make it in the NFL, and to be a good DE you have to know how to take on 300+ pounders while disengaging to wrap up the ball carrier. It's going to be a long process and I hope it doesn't take too much time away from developing Tank or Lemonade.

Originally posted by thl408:
I'm excited to see the outcome of this, but I would not be one bit surprised if he amounts to zilch. It takes more than being a great athlete to make it in the NFL, and to be a good DE you have to know how to take on 300+ pounders while disengaging to wrap up the ball carrier. It's going to be a long process and I hope it doesn't take too much time away from developing Tank or Lemonade.

This, there have been a million workout warriors who actiually produced in college that amounted to jack squat in the NFL. Vernon Gholston anyone? The fact that Okoye is highly intelligent is going to help him immensely, but he's going up against players who are also athletic freaks with many years of coaching and developing their technique, which is a lot better than simply having brute strength. Gonna root for the guy, hope for the guy, but my expectations are low. Prove me wrong Okoye!
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I think they'll give him any opportunity to put that athleticism to use. That being said, TE is a very cerebral position, and while he's got the brains, I think it would take longer for him to pick it up than D-line. Holy s**t though, can you imagine a guy his size, strength, and speed barreling down the middle of the field?! I love the idea!

I almost fell like it is easier to become a TE without having played football than it is to become a DE. All the basketball players step in at TE and succeed because of athleticism, strength, and size. This guy has all of those. Lots of super-freak DEs that dont make it cause they can bend/flex/use their hands to beat past tackles. IF he can catch, I think I'd start working him as a situational TE/FB/extra blocker and if he can't cath you move him to DE/5 technique and go from there.
f**k yeah!!!!!!!!!!
Posted this in the draft forum:

Monster athlete vs skilled professional...

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Guy is around 300lbs

I think he will likely slim down a bit, building mass for discus is different than football. Less cardio! But really, at say 285-290 and 4.75 speed, why is his weight an issue at TE? Inline blocking at 290? Sounds good! Speed down the field at 4.75? Good enough for me!

Its not an issue but guys that have been playing football all there lives (Delani,V.Mcdonald) have trouble catching passes can you imagine this guy trying to catch a Kaepernick pass lol, this guy is perfect for DL/OL
[ Edited by jimrat on Apr 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone