There are 135 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

It will be fun to watch what he does on Thursday
Being a coach myself (4th-8th graders) I have to say that this just speaks to the coaching skills of Jim Tomsula and why he should NEVER be allows to coach elsewhere. (Ok, don't freak out, what I mean by "NEVER allowed" is pay whatever it takes to keep him on staff.) I'm really pulling for Okoye to make this team.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Aug 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by random49er:
You have to look at the 53rd guy on some of the worst teams. That spot's value is very different than our 53rd. Don't be so sure.

Agreed! And why give him all of this extra, added coaching...invest so much time in him when you then just risk handing him over to another team? He either makes the 53 (may or may not be "active") or he doesn't make the team at all IMHO.
Thats the risk they make every year when they cut down to the 53 and set their PS. The claiming team has to put a guy with a few months of NFL experience on their 53 man roster and he has to learn a new playbook, Unless Okoye absolutely dominates in preseason I dont think we are gonna have to worry about another team picking him up, also who says that Okoye would even accept the other teams request? We had guys last year on our PS decline other teams requests to be added to their 53 man.

If he's cut, he must be subject to waivers before he can be signed to the PS. He can not deny a waiver claim. Once he is signed to the PS, he can deny an offer to join any team's active roster to stay here.

(pretty much what the post 6 spots bove yours already said )
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Seems like a trivial distinction at this stage. Glad to hear the news overall seems a little more encouraging every day.

I'm not trying to trivialize the news. But knowing what he did well at would give us a better idea of his progress.

If Okoye is holding his own against the run blocking of Iupati that is HUUUUGE. That means he is getting better at leverage etc. (i.e., the football skills he needs to build)

If he did it as a pass rusher then it is still nice but it could also mean he just relied on his Olympian athleticism. Iupati is known for whiffing on the faster interior defenders.

As someone who is very interested in the development of Okoye these minor news bits are actually important to me. I really loved the reporting of the face smashing drills Tomsula had Okoye run.
You have to look at the 53rd guy on some of the worst teams. That spot's value is very different than our 53rd. Don't be so sure.

Agreed! And why give him all of this extra, added coaching...invest so much time in him when you then just risk handing him over to another team? He either makes the 53 (may or may not be "active") or he doesn't make the team at all IMHO.
Thats the risk they make every year when they cut down to the 53 and set their PS. The claiming team has to put a guy with a few months of NFL experience on their 53 man roster and he has to learn a new playbook, Unless Okoye absolutely dominates in preseason I dont think we are gonna have to worry about another team picking him up, also who says that Okoye would even accept the other teams request? We had guys last year on our PS decline other teams requests to be added to their 53 man.

Not worried at all about another team claiming him on waivers. There are a lot of good players that are ready to play NOW that they can put on their final 53 instead of taking a guy who won't play a down for them this year. Teams with any injuries even more so would have less reason to add him.
While he is making progress I just can't see a going from never having played to the game to a roster spot in a NFL team no matter how good of athlete he is. I can see him landing on the practice squad and I actually do think he would clear waivers. I agree with all of you on Tomsula (even though I think he looks a little like Ron Jeremy) the man can sure coach a player up.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Not worried at all about another team claiming him on waivers. There are a lot of good players that are ready to play NOW that they can put on their final 53 instead of taking a guy who won't play a down for them this year. Teams with any injuries even more so would have less reason to add him.

Beat me to it! If there is a team out there so bad that they can keep projects on their roster then he might be grabbed but likely not.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

If he's cut, he must be subject to waivers before he can be signed to the PS. He can not deny a waiver claim. Once he is signed to the PS, he can deny an offer to join any team's active roster to stay here.

agree to disagree

agree to disagree

Disagree about what?
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

agree to disagree

Disagree about what?

on your interpretation of the rule

agree to disagree

Disagree about what?

when in rome
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation

Fangio: Okoye making strides, relative to having never played. Will try to get him in Thursday
Originally posted by Jcool:
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation

Fangio: Okoye making strides, relative to having never played. Will try to get him in Thursday

Ill be very interested to see him play...

agree to disagree

Disagree about what?

on your interpretation of the rule

Which rule?

That a player has to clear waivers before he can be signed to the practice squad?

Or something else?

I presume you know how waivers work? You couldn't mean that a player can refuse to go to the team that claims him off waivers? Although it does seem like you may be meaning that.
Lol