LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 299 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
How do you know it would be dumb for a team to put him on their 53? We haven't even seen what he can do yet. Why don't we wait to see how the preseason unfolds before we start questioning the intelligence of his potential suitors. Garce gonna Garce.

Dude is probably the worst player in the NFL right now. And miles from the 2nd worst player who has probably played this game his whole life.

He won't make the 53 and any team that wastes a spot on him aren't doing there jobs.

None of us know for sure how good he could be... so saying he's miles behind EVERY other player in the league is based totally on opinion. The Niners wouldn't have brought him in without at least some interest. Let's see how he fairs in the preseason before we make any definitive statements.
How do you know it would be dumb for a team to put him on their 53? We haven't even seen what he can do yet. Why don't we wait to see how the preseason unfolds before we start questioning the intelligence of his potential suitors. Garce gonna Garce.

Dude is probably the worst player in the NFL right now. And miles from the 2nd worst player who has probably played this game his whole life.

He won't make the 53 and any team that wastes a spot on him aren't doing there jobs.

This is dead on correct. That said, I really want to see him play in the preseason, just to see what he does
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Worst player in the NFL? Truth be told, we really don't know where he's at until we see him, so spare us your omniscient b******t.

Are you kidding me?
Wow, Amp. You're telling me a guy who just put on pads a few weeks ago isnt the worst player in the NFL? Who is he better than? Give me a name.

Of course we will wait and see. I think he has potential, but he is not roster worthy AT THIS POINT.
Worst player in the NFL? Truth be told, we really don't know where he's at until we see him, so spare us your omniscient b******t.

Are you kidding me?
Wow, Amp. You're telling me a guy who just put on pads a few weeks ago isnt the worst player in the NFL? Who is he better than? Give me a name.

Of course we will wait and see. I think he has potential, but he is not roster worthy AT THIS POINT.

Balmer...?
  • Garce
  • Veteran

Are you kidding me?

No, I'm telling you that, "I DON'T KNOW." Which is the only reasonable stance we can take on such a definitive question in which we don't have any evidence to support its answer. You claiming you do know is ridiculous.

I would bet the probability of Lawrence Okoye being the worst player in the NFL is pretty high.
Dude wore a helment for this first time in OTAs. Just pure lack of experience is enough to back that statement up, its my opinion.

I like Lawrence. I like that our FO is taking a chance on this guy and schooling him and the potential he brings.

1. I don't think he's ready to make a roster
2. I dont think any team claims him off waivers
3. He will be on the PS this year.

Im not worried that a team might swoop him up.
I think that American NFL football is the most complicated, complex and physically demanding team sport ever invented. I think that NFL players are easily the most freakish athletes on the planet. But, having said that, it's still not beyond me to imagine that a freakish athlete with a good head on his shoulders might be able to pick the game up and play it at professional quality in a short amount of time. Okoye starts with physical attributes that are literally off the scale. He's already demonstrated that he's a quick study. It could happen.
Good for you. Now maybe you can stop parading your opinion around like it's fact.

Yes, there's a great possibility he doesn't succeed, but his measureables are VERY RARE. Based on his athleticism alone, how could we just proclaim him to be the worst guy out there? Shear strength and explosiveness has to negate some of his inexperience. Reports surfaced recently that he held his own against Iupati and beat Staley for a would-be sack. Succeeding against two all-pro caliber players is not something the worst players in the game accomplish. Albeit, these reports don't guarantee his success either and are of an incredibly small sample size, but let's not pretend either you or I know where he's at now and where his potential lies.

Some people just love to pretend they know things. I know a guy who doesn't know how a toaster works, but knows exactly how the world began and how it will end. He calls it "faith."
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I would bet the probability of Lawrence Okoye being the worst player in the NFL is pretty high.
Dude wore a helment for this first time in OTAs. Just pure lack of experience is enough to back that statement up, its my opinion.

I like Lawrence. I like that our FO is taking a chance on this guy and schooling him and the potential he brings.

I do not think you said anything wrong here and I certainly do not think you deserve to get flamed for your opinion on this guy. i agree ten fold with bullet points number one and two. Not sure about number three. unless the guy really blows things up in the pre season, not sure if we want to waste a spot, albeit a practice squad spot, on him. even though it was not an official bullet point 4, I to am not worried about any team getting him , nor would I lose any sleep if they do
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

I do not think you said anything wrong here and I certainly do not think you deserve to get flamed for your opinion on this guy. i agree ten fold with bullet points number one and two. Not sure about number three. unless the guy really blows things up in the pre season, not sure if we want to waste a spot, albeit a practice squad spot, on him. even though it was not an official bullet point 4, I to am not worried about any team getting him , nor would I lose any sleep if they do

He is an ideal candidate for a Practice Squad type player, IMO. I think his potential and at least seeing where it goes is worth giving it to him, especially if he is working hard.
[ Edited by Garcia on Aug 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM ]
Are you kidding me?

It's hard to say he is the worst since we haven't seen him play. Experience-wise, he could be pretty bad. It's too bad Mark Roman isn't still around. I could use him as an example of a player who is worse, and I bet not one person in this forum disagrees.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
Good for you. Now maybe you can stop parading your opinion around like it's fact.

Yes, there's a great possibility he doesn't succeed, but his measureables are VERY RARE. Based on his athleticism alone, how could we just proclaim him to be the worst guy out there? Shear strength and explosiveness has to negate some of his inexperience. Reports surfaced recently that he held his own against Iupati and beat Staley for a would-be sack. Succeeding against two all-pro caliber players is not something the worst players in the game accomplish. Albeit, these reports don't guarantee his success either and are of an incredibly small sample size, but let's not pretend either you or I know where he's at now and where his potential lies.

Some people just love to pretend they know things. I know a guy who doesn't know how a toaster works, but knows exactly how the world began and how it will end. He calls it "faith."

Who knows how a toaster works?
[ Edited by English on Aug 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM ]
I always hoped someone would use this tactic with Okoye when teaching him how to football:

Are you kidding me?

Okoye agrees with you that he is a "really bad football player," just like he was a "really terrible discus thrower" in 2010.

What's your suggestion for what to do with the 21 year old??
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Aug 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
62 pages for this wetter? He gon be on teh first set of cuts.
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Aug 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
... did a mock 53 man roster and I dont see how he makes the team, as much as I'd like him to
Share 49ersWebzone