LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 202 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Greg ‏@run_ish

Okoye took reps with 2nd team defense
They are REALLY coaching this guy up which says a ton as well. They wouldn't be wasting a second on this guy if they didn't feel like they could genuinely use him soon. If it was FS or WR or QB, he'd have no chance but RDE? He's got a better shot than most esp. given all who is around him (Justin, Aldon, McDonald, Tomsula, Fangio, etc.).
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah, seems like he's trying to toughen him up. My first thoughts on him even before we signed him were this guy is probably soft. He has no idea what playing in the NFL will be like and it seems to be correct with him saying it's been the hardest thing he's had to do so far. And that's before even playing a game; heck he said that before training camp began. There are lots of guys out there with big bodies, even some who are mostly muscle who are soft. Like 5280 said even with those huge thighs if he's not low enough when the ball is snapped he will just get stood up even if the guy is a lot lighter. It's all about leverage. He will have to learn leverage, he will have to learn technique, he will have to learn how to play the run and how to diagnose a play and he will have to learn to use his strength to his advantage and get more physical. I hope he works out and I won't write him off but my first thought when signing him was he isn't worth the trouble.

with legs that thick and long, you can only get so low...

in body, okoye is an offensive tackle. we'll see what happens.
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah, seems like he's trying to toughen him up. My first thoughts on him even before we signed him were this guy is probably soft. He has no idea what playing in the NFL will be like and it seems to be correct with him saying it's been the hardest thing he's had to do so far. And that's before even playing a game; heck he said that before training camp began. There are lots of guys out there with big bodies, even some who are mostly muscle who are soft. Like 5280 said even with those huge thighs if he's not low enough when the ball is snapped he will just get stood up even if the guy is a lot lighter. It's all about leverage. He will have to learn leverage, he will have to learn technique, he will have to learn how to play the run and how to diagnose a play and he will have to learn to use his strength to his advantage and get more physical. I hope he works out and I won't write him off but my first thought when signing him was he isn't worth the trouble.

with legs that thick and long, you can only get so low...

in body, okoye is an offensive tackle. we'll see what happens.

Alex Boone disagrees
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by jimrat:
http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/lawrence-okoye-49ers-hitting-blocking-shield-with-face-photos/

Interesting link, thanks.

What is Tomsula going for? Look at those wings. Hope it all works out.

My concern about Okyoe was the brutality and the velocity of the hitting. To me, this looks like it's Tomsula's concern as well and it also looks like Okyoe is stepping up to the plate like a real trooper. It will be a real coup if this guy turns into a legitimate player because he is really a beast.

Well said
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:
Our concerns should all rest with the guys we spent draft picks on. He's a UFA signing,....nothing risked.

Really. Do we have to allocate our concerns based upon the round in which the guys were picked?
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by random49er:
Our concerns should all rest with the guys we spent draft picks on. He's a UFA signing,....nothing risked.

Really. Do we have to allocate our concerns based upon the round in which the guys were picked?

I think concern should be an inverse relationship with draft status. Okyoe? AAAAAHHHHH! I'm freaking out!!! Cooper, Bykowski, Daniels, Moody? What the hell is going on!!! Dial, Lattimore, Patton? What's up today, bra? Lemonier, MacDonald, Carradine? Yawn, any news? Reid? Whatever. Boring.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Greg ‏@run_ish

Okoye took reps with 2nd team defense

Oh please. Don't read into it. Obviously the guy is working hard and they threw him a bone. Right thing to do. Next on the agenda for Okoye: go to sleep, get up at 6 am and do it all over again.

It's a real positive that he's doing what's asked of him with no flinching, no ego. THAT is what may get him a spot on practice squad and maybe if there are injuries a few games on the 45. I honestly am impressed that a 21 year old with no big school experience would last this long in a difficult environment populated with bullies larger than he is.

It's not just the physical training that he's missed. It's the mental torture of being in a big school high pressure environment. But he's handling it very well.
Oh please. Don't read into it. Obviously the guy is working hard and they threw him a bone. Right thing to do. Next on the agenda for Okoye: go to sleep, get up at 6 am and do it all over again.

It's a real positive that he's doing what's asked of him with no flinching, no ego. THAT is what may get him a spot on practice squad and maybe if there are injuries a few games on the 45. I honestly am impressed that a 21 year old with no big school experience would last this long in a difficult environment populated with bullies larger than he is.

It's not just the physical training that he's missed. It's the mental torture of being in a big school high pressure environment. But he's handling it very well.

What?
OMG LOOK HOW BIG
C.J. SPILLMAN IS !

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
OMG LOOK HOW BIG
C.J. SPILLMAN IS !

Does not look like a man adverse to contact.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:

remember how good kwame harris looked in a uniform?
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by WINiner:

remember how good kwame harris looked in a uniform?

No, I can't say I ever saw a pic of Kwame that made me think "That right there is one tough S.O.B."

Nice try tho, can't wait till this guy makes doubters like you eat crow.
Originally posted by xtm059:

What?

For real doe. Dudes 6'6'' 284, he's gotta be one of the biggest if not the biggest dudes on the team.
Originally posted by KegBert:
For real doe. Dudes 6'6'' 284, he's gotta be one of the biggest if not the biggest dudes on the team.

310lbs
Share 49ersWebzone