LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Snitches don't make the team

Actually, the key word there is "team." It's a team, not a gang.
  • thl408
My only worry is he takes Tomsula's time away from coaching up Tank, Lemonade, etc. Okoye will require a lot of 1 on 1 coaching.
Okoye turns 22 this year, tank as a rookie and aldon are both 24 this year while dial just turned 23....given how fast okoye picked up the discus and with tomsula to coach him up surely it's worth the gamble that in a year or two he develops into something interesting? If the physicality of training camp is too much as some have suggested then it'll be all over soon enough anyway. As to the YouTube clip and as an Aussie that's rugby league not rugby union - similar in some ways but union physically more demanding (albeit okoye was a winger which means he really wouldn't have been hit given his physique)...
Showing good things with pads on.
Coach H mentioned Okoye's long arms and how he "locked up" with OL better. I am assuming that means his long arms allow him to lock up and then do a swim move, or some such...and then is able to get by the OL. Is that about correct? Or not?
Practice squad for the next two years... and that's fine.
It's hard to know if this Harbaugh remark isn't another one of his attempts to pump a guy up because the training camp report I read said that Okoye was being pushed around and out of plays.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
It's hard to know if this Harbaugh remark isn't another one of his attempts to pump a guy up because the training camp report I read said that Okoye was being pushed around and out of plays.

And then you realized who the author of that report was and decided to forget that nonsense.
Originally posted by natrone06:

And then you realized who the author of that report was and decided to forget that nonsense.
Was it a Grant Cohen article? I just don't remember where I read it.

Lol Yeah. Even if Okyoe is struggling its so hard to take Cohn seriously. His lack of basic football knowledge is crazy. Here are reports from same practice.

From Cohn - 5. Lawrence Okoye – He looked like someone who had never played football before. He was not a factor against the run or the pass, he did not use leverage and he frequently got washed out of the play.

From Barrows - Finally, you're probably wondering how British rookie Lawrence Okoye fared in his first-ever contact practice. The verdict: He wasn't awful. In fact, Okoye handled himself nicely early in practice in pass-rush drills against offensive tackle Kenny Wiggins.

Like Okoye, Wiggins is tall and long-armed. With Okoye rushing from the left defensive end position, Wiggins stood him up on his first attempt. Okoye was guilty of encroachment on the second go-around. But on the third, he got low and inside of Wiggins and collapsed the pocket.

As a third stringer, Okoye got a lot of reps at right defensive end during team and 11-on-11 drills. He had trouble finding the ball and was uprooted and shoved to the side a lot by guards Mike Iupati and Wayne Tribue, who have a real advantage in leverage against the long-legged Okoye. But again - he wasn't embarrassed, and it has to be considered a positive first step for someone who never went through a full, contact practice until 2:30 p.m. today.

@natrone06

Thanks. Yeah, I respect Barrows and Maicco analysis a LOT more than Cohen's. I'm not sure about Cohen. As long-time Chronicle readers will probably remember, Lowell Cohen is kind of old school in that he often writes pieces that tend to provoke responses because in the old days, that would increase readership of the paper. So Lowell sometimes verges on the absurd. You have to wonder if some of that rubs off on junior. And, let's face it - brazen nepotism is just annoying. Would Grant Cohen be where he is if his Dad wasn't Lowell Cohen? Please.
@natrone06

Thanks. Yeah, I respect Barrows and Maicco analysis a LOT more than Cohen's. I'm not sure about Cohen. As long-time Chronicle readers will probably remember, Lowell Cohen is kind of old school in that he often writes pieces that tend to provoke responses because in the old days, that would increase readership of the paper. So Lowell sometimes verges on the absurd. You have to wonder if some of that rubs off on junior. And, let's face it - brazen nepotism is just annoying. Would Grant Cohen be where he is if his Dad wasn't Lowell Cohen? Please.

Cohn Jr has his favorites and reports its like that. Any decisions the 49ers make that he doesn't like (eg AJ Jenkins) he skews to make them look bad and to make himself feel better. He is a poor journalist.

Lol Yeah. Even if Okyoe is struggling its so hard to take Cohn seriously. His lack of basic football knowledge is crazy. Here are reports from same practice.

From Cohn - 5. Lawrence Okoye – He looked like someone who had never played football before. He was not a factor against the run or the pass, he did not use leverage and he frequently got washed out of the play.

From Barrows - Finally, you're probably wondering how British rookie Lawrence Okoye fared in his first-ever contact practice. The verdict: He wasn't awful. In fact, Okoye handled himself nicely early in practice in pass-rush drills against offensive tackle Kenny Wiggins.

Like Okoye, Wiggins is tall and long-armed. With Okoye rushing from the left defensive end position, Wiggins stood him up on his first attempt. Okoye was guilty of encroachment on the second go-around. But on the third, he got low and inside of Wiggins and collapsed the pocket.

As a third stringer, Okoye got a lot of reps at right defensive end during team and 11-on-11 drills. He had trouble finding the ball and was uprooted and shoved to the side a lot by guards Mike Iupati and Wayne Tribue, who have a real advantage in leverage against the long-legged Okoye. But again - he wasn't embarrassed, and it has to be considered a positive first step for someone who never went through a full, contact practice until 2:30 p.m. today.

They are both saying pretty much the same thing, just different levels of detail. It is agreed that Okoye is not very good right NOW. One is more positive than the other about it (and more detailed), but what Okoye is doing on the field is not in disagreement.

Cohn is actually a little bit like Okoye. He might not be good, but he isn't embarrassingly bad either.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The point I was trying to make was Okoye's a big longshot to make the team...possibly even the PS. Who's he going to beat out?

He'll make the PS without a doubt imo. The Niners knew he was going to be a project and I don't think they'd have gotten involved unless they intended to make that time investment.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

They are both saying pretty much the same thing, just different levels of detail. It is agreed that Okoye is not very good right NOW. One is more positive than the other about it (and more detailed), but what Okoye is doing on the field is not in disagreement.

Cohn is actually a little bit like Okoye. He might not be good, but he isn't embarrassingly bad either.

I'd disagree. Sometimes he is exactly that.
Share 49ersWebzone